Uber in and around Honolulu

tnfcruise

Our party of four will be flying to Honolulu for four pre-cruise nights, staying in Waikiki's Beachwalk area. We've decided against renting a car. Is Uber a reliable source for our transportation needs? --airport to hotel, hotel to Pearl Harbor, to Punchbowl, Iolani Palace, St. Andrew Cathedral for Sunday service, etc., and to the pier on embarkation day.

Edited by tnfcruise

Our party of four will be flying to Honolulu for four pre-cruise nights, staying in Waikiki's Beachwalk area. We've decided against renting a car. Is Uber a reliable source for our transportation needs? --airport to hotel, hotel to Pearl Harbor, to Punchbowl, Iolani Palace, St. Andrew Cathedral for Sunday service, etc., and to the pier on embarkation day.

Uber is fine in the metro area of Honolulu.

I wouldn't use it for the PCC or a day trip to the North Shore, but it is fine around the city.

We were also a party of four and used Uber from Waikiki to Diamond Head, and we had a great experience. We did not use it from Waikiki to the pier or from the pier to the airport. Because we had luggage, it would have required an SUV/minivan, and that was more. There was also a high volume charge of some sort (I'm not a frequent uber user, but I believe that meant there was high demand at that time, so the fee increased). We used Johnny Cab to the pier from Waikiki ($25) and a metered cab to the airport from the pier ($27). They had cabs/minivans lined up at the pier at disembarkation.

Edited by baseballsandbows

We were also a party of four and used Uber from Waikiki to Diamond Head, and we had a great experience. We did not use it from Waikiki to the pier or from the pier to the airport. Because we had luggage, it would have required an SUV/minivan, and that was more. There was also a high volume charge of some sort (I'm not a frequent uber user, but I believe that meant there was high demand at that time, so the fee increased). We used Johnny Cab to the pier from Waikiki ($25) and a metered cab to the airport from the pier ($27). They had cabs/minivans lined up at the pier at disembarkation.

did either of the taxi services you used accept credit cards?

did either of the taxi services you used accept credit cards?

The regular cab did take credit cards for sure. With Johnny Cab, I prepaid our trip from the airport to our Waikiki hotel online with credit card, and I paid cash when they took us from the hotel to the port. I didn't pay with credit at the time of service, but you could look on their website to see. Just google Johnny Cab Honolulu and you should find the website.

Tell me a bit more about the trip to Diamond Head, if you would...did the Uber driver wait for you while you walked around, or drive you around like a tour guide would, and was it a round trip with one driver?

Thanks for your other experience based info, too. Helpful.

Tell me a bit more about the trip to Diamond Head, if you would...did the Uber driver wait for you while you walked around, or drive you around like a tour guide would, and was it a round trip with one driver?

People who go to Diamond Head go for the hike.

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/hikediamondhead.html

It is about 45 minutes up and 30 minutes down with 15-30 minutes on top taking pictures and soaking in the scenery.

If you don't do the hike, there is not a huge reason to go inside the crater.

We actually took The Bus to Diamond Head from Waikiki. Of course, that is much slower than using Uber or a cab because of the frequent stops. When we finished with our hike, we were concerned we wouldn't be able to get cleaned up and out of our room on time if we used The Bus to get back to the room (it was checkout day, and there were four of us needing to shower), so we used Uber. There was a driver six minutes away. We walked out to the main road, and she picked us up there. When we requested the ride, we also requested that she call us so we could be sure she knew where we were waiting.

Our Uber experience was good, but I will say that The Bus is good, too, and you can use Google Maps to see the buses that are nearby, their routes, and the time they will get you to your destination. Being able to see that info helped us decided to go with Uber for the return trip from Diamond Head to our hotel.

It is about 45 minutes up and 30 minutes down with 15-30 minutes on top taking pictures and soaking in the scenery.

Love the resource! Thanks.

We actually took The Bus to Diamond Head from Waikiki. Of course, that is much slower than using Uber or a cab because of the frequent stops. When we finished with our hike, we were concerned we wouldn't be able to get cleaned up and out of our room on time if we used The Bus to get back to the room (it was checkout day, and there were four of us needing to shower), so we used Uber. There was a driver six minutes away. We walked out to the main road, and she picked us up there. When we requested the ride, we also requested that she call us so we could be sure she knew where we were waiting.

Our Uber experience was good, but I will say that The Bus is good, too, and you can use Google Maps to see the buses that are nearby, their routes, and the time they will get you to your destination. Being able to see that info helped us decided to go with Uber for the return trip from Diamond Head to our hotel.

Thanks for telling me about your experience, and the bus suggestions. Very helpful.

Uber is great in Hawaii! HOWEVER, new laws are being proposed in the state legislature that would effectively end Uber in Hawaii. Just keep tract of developments in Hawaii.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I wonder what's behind the proposed changes.

• 3 weeks later...

thank you sharing the link. I was planning a diamond head hike the morning of boarding day. :D

Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach to the airport at 5am was US$22.82

Dont think you can get them from the airport - we pre-booked one of the shuttle buses which was also cheaper than a normal taxi.

To the port from Aqua Palms it was US$15.63

Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach to the airport at 5am was US$22.82

Dont think you can get them from the airport - we pre-booked one of the shuttle buses which was also cheaper than a normal taxi.

To the port from Aqua Palms it was US$15.63

I figured the airport would be a bust with Uber. :rolleyes:

I know Robert's Hawaii offers airport transfers, may have to go that route.

Thank You :D