Islander, weather conditions

vicocala

Good day,

I have noticed the weather has been unsettled for the past couple of weeks, first have you seen any forecasts for next week? I am primarily concerned about visability for snorkeling. Generally speaking how long after a storm does it take for the seas to calm down and the visability to improve.

I am looking at Coki on St. Thomas and Honeymoon Beach in St. John in particular.

Also on vinow it shows the Zuiderdam coming into Crown Bay while a week or two ago HAL stated they would be coming to West Indian, does Vinow get its information from the cruiselines or the port authority and can you explain the difference in information received. It is important to me as my wife wants to do some shopping but is leary of going far from the ship.

Thanks!

Hello VIcocala,

Yes the weather has been quite rainy. Today it poured buckets. What happens here when it rains is that the water saturates the ground and the runoff flows straight down the hills to the sea - making our beautiful waters some what brownish in some areas; in addition to this you have the churning up of sand because of waves/winds. Once the rain and wind stops it usually takes a few days for the sediments in the water to settle.

We get the cruise ship schedule from WICO (West Indian Company Dock). Crown Bay is only about an 8 minute drive from Charlotte Amalie, where your wife can shop till she drops. Not sure about the difference in information??

--Islander

http://www.*****

Hi. I just wanted to make a quick comment. We were in St. Thomas and St. John last week on Wednesday. The night before we arrived, we noticed that RCCL was cancelling a lot of the excursions. They cancelled two of the excursions to St.John because they said there was mud run-off and the water was dirty. Well I got really worried because we had planned to go over to St.John on our own. I decided to go anyway and boy am I glad. The water was beautiful and crystal clear. On the ferry ride back to St.Thomas we had a lady tell us that she saw an octupus while snorkeling at Hawksnest. We actually went to Cinnamon Bay and loved it! I also highly recommend eating at Woody's Seafood Saloon. Their shrimp was excellent! I included one of my pictures of St.John that I took while I was there.

trunk.jpg

Thanks Stacey,

We have a lot of excursions planned, four in total between Tortola and St. Thomas and they are all water related. If the water won't be suitable for snorkeling I wouldn't mind if they all got cancelled, it would give us more time to just explore the Islands themselves (assuming the rain ever will stop).

I figured the runoff could be bad which is why I asked the question and asked about specific locations. I would think the runoff would tend to be worse in some areas than others depending on the geography of the particular beaches.

I was really glad to see that all of the beaches that we visited while in St.John had no muddy water. RCCL said they had to cancel the Trunk Bay excursion because the water was very muddy but it was not. I understand that they were being proactive so that is not a bad thing since they were trying to help their passengers. I am just glad that we were blessed with nice weather and beautiful water!

We will be on the Disney Magic 10-15-05 and plan to take an excursion to St.John on Wed (10-19)....I sure hope this picks up and moves out!! I read on accuweather that it should start lifting to the North!! Enough already! They need some Sunshine!!

I will just keep nice weather thoughts in my head!! We need some Pixie dust! Maybe the Magic will help! ( Sorry...DCL humor)

Archived