Upgrades and perks!!

stleda124

Hello! I keep hearing that people are being offered

"upgrades" at a special price. My question is, is it because of your status or just because? Also, if I book through an outside site, will I still have the opportunity of being offered the chance to upgrade?

it doesnt sound like it matters, just calling the upsell department they tell you if they have an offer or not by the sound of it.

I just upgraded our inside on escape in march to a balcony room for 40pp but not through upsell, we saw the price drops and called reservations if we could pay the difference while way beyond final payment and did it for us, i'm assuming they will usually do this? but that is also an option without needing an 'offer'

I was offered an upgrade/upsell, which I accepted on the Getaway last summer. When you use a TA, instead of calling or e-mailing, they call the TA and the TA calls you. At least, that was my experience. I was unable to barter and kept the same promotions I had when originally booked. I moved from a spa balcony to a Haven Spa Suite. For us the increased pleasure was worth the expense.

Edited by vicocala

from what i understand (and trip will certainly correct me if i'm wrong) you must already be booked in a Mini suite or above to use the upsell number 1-800-625-4309. i just called again today and the prices i was offered for a haven penthouse for our 3/6/16 sailing has not changed...except the DOS was now only 1250/pp instead of 1500/pp but the other (2) offeres stayed the same still.

here is why its for Mini Suite or higher: lets say my DW and son and i want to book a Haven Penthouse...well at book value on the site a year out from sailing i would pay like $7000 for the week. which is crazy...NOW lets say i think im cute and book the 3 of us in a inside broom closet for 500/pp but happen to score a KSF promo...the cost for us would be $1000. then 3 weeks out from sail date i call upsell and am offered a penthouse for $500/pp double occupancy with our son still free the total would only be $2000 for the 3 of us in a penthouse Haven for the week...THAT is why you need to be in a mini or higher...now i know alot of the seasoned readers of cruisecritic know this but not everyone does.

we booked a Mini suite BA 3/6/16 for the 3 of us under a KSF promo and UBP all in for $2617.00 total. i called the upsell and was offered a Penthouse Haven for $500/pp for me and my DW...so its an extra $1000 to the bottom line. our son would still be free. alot of readers here are yelling do it!! do it!! but the extra $1000 represents new patio furniture to my loving wife...but i want the Haven!!! who do you think will prevail??? i guess you need to wait and read my complete review that i will do...spoiler alert::: its gonna be from a Mini Suite perspective or a penthouse haven...stay tuned :)

I don't agree with the idea that you have to be in a mini or higher. For our Panama Canal cruise last year, we booked an inside, used points from our Norwegian Credit Card for a double cross meta upgrade that moved us into a balcony. About three weeks before sailing, received an offer to upgrade to a various suites for prices between $1,000 pp to $1,500 pp depending on the suite. Countered with $1,000 for both of us, which wasn't accepted. A week or so later, got a similar email with slightly lower prices, I again countered and again was declined. Since we were in the best and largest balconies in the fleet already, we weren't willing to spend a lot of money even thought $1,500 for 19 days wasn't a bad deal. Others on our roll call who were in insides got very reasonable upgrades to balconies and minis and others upgraded at or near the offered upsell prices from balconies to suites.

Anyway, IMHO there aren't any hard and fast rules over who gets upsells...it all depends on how empty the ship.

from what i understand (and trip will certainly correct me if i'm wrong) you must already be booked in a Mini suite or above to use the upsell number ...

here is why its for Mini Suite or higher: lets say my DW and son and i want to book a Haven Penthouse...well at book value on the site a year out from sailing i would pay like $7000 for the week. which is crazy...NOW lets say i think im cute and book the 3 of us in a inside broom closet for 500/pp but happen to score a KSF promo...the cost for us would be $1000. then 3 weeks out from sail date i call upsell and am offered a penthouse for $500/pp double occupancy with our son still free the total would only be $2000 for the 3 of us in a penthouse Haven for the week...THAT is why you need to be in a mini or higher...now i know alot of the seasoned readers of cruisecritic know this but not everyone does.

This is absolutely not true. Yes, they give you the upgrade offers based on what you've already paid but anybody can try to get an upsell, the difference to pay is just larger for those booked in cheapest categories. Also upsell can be to any higher category, not just to suites.

This is absolutely not true. Yes, they give you the upgrade offers based on what you've already paid but anybody can try to get an upsell, the difference to pay is just larger for those booked in cheapest categories. Also upsell can be to any higher category, not just to suites.

Thats what I was looking for. Thank you!

while i was on the phone with the upsell number. i asked about my father in law who is booked in a balcony...he wants a mini suite...so i asked the woman in the upsell department what the price would be for him to upgrade to Mini...she said to me "we are only doing offers to Mini or higher at this time...we are only 16 days out from sail date...she said you can inquire about your father in laws options 1 week before sailing based on leftover inventory.

that is word for word...so sure there are many different opinions but mine was an actual conversation from the horses mouth...OMG i just referred to the ice lady as a horse? dont tell...lol...

some people may be confusing this with the actual upGRADE offers that you get by email or phone call...this is the upSELL number i am speaking of...please read my previous post explaining the hypothetical from going from a inside to a penthouse suite...it makes so much sense that i should write a book about it. Class dismissed.

safe and happy travels where ever you rest your head,

-Mark

from what i understand (and trip will certainly correct me if i'm wrong) you must already be booked in a Mini suite or above

so i asked the woman in the upsell department what the price would be for him to upgrade to Mini...she said to me "we are only doing offers to Mini or higher at this time

Just because you've been told that they offer only "to mini-suites at this time" does not mean that "you must already be booked in a mini-suite".

Just because you've been told that they offer only "to mini-suites at this time" does not mean that "you must already be booked in a mini-suite".

I think it kinda does because why would they only give my Father in law such a short window to pay for a mini suite. I feel like the UPSELL number is kind of a reward for booking a mini or higher so those high dollar havens dont go unsold.

think of it like this: if NCL called an "inside" stateroom guest and said hey want to go to a Haven Suite for $1500 dollars more...what percentage of those "inside" customers would take the deal...ill let you in on a lil secret....the answer is "less then 1%.

so in closing the Upsell number is NCL's private line to offer the biggest most expensive rooms to the passengers already booked in the high end rooms and have the greatest chance of selling those rooms..

Its like an inexperienced realtor showing you a million dollar home when your budget is clearly 125K...

Out of Breath...lol

-Mark

while i was on the phone with the upsell number. i asked about my father in law who is booked in a balcony...he wants a mini suite...so i asked the woman in the upsell department what the price would be for him to upgrade to Mini...she said to me "we are only doing offers to Mini or higher at this time...we are only 16 days out from sail date...she said you can inquire about your father in laws options 1 week before sailing based on leftover inventory.

You're in a mini considering the Haven & you have people traveling with you that wouldn't be in the Haven. Is that because they are your "in-laws" and you want to hide from them in the Haven? :p

Sorry I couldn't resist. I know I would do that if my mother-in-law was on the same ship.

You're in a mini considering the Haven & you have people traveling with you that wouldn't be in the Haven. Is that because they are your "in-laws" and you want to hide from them in the Haven? :p

Sorry I couldn't resist. I know I would do that if my mother-in-law was on the same ship.

Hi Hansolo!!!

yes!!! that is EXACTLY the case...i hope my wife and i will see you in the "haven" on 3/6 i just have to try to swallow the extra $1000 or risk it and try for a steal last minute...

I feel like we would all have a blast together... :)

Hi Hansolo!!!

yes!!! that is EXACTLY the case...i hope my wife and i will see you in the "haven" on 3/6 i just have to try to swallow the extra $1000 or risk it and try for a steal last minute...

I feel like we would all have a blast together... :)

:):D:) I think so. It was a tough decision, but since it is a special trip for my mom I decided to go for it. Maybe over the next 2 weeks the price will drop a little bit and you'll be able to get in.

from what i understand (and trip will certainly correct me if i'm wrong) you must already be booked in a Mini suite or above to use the upsell number 1-800-625-4309. i just called again today and the prices i was offered for a haven penthouse for our 3/6/16 sailing has not changed...except the DOS was now only 1250/pp instead of 1500/pp but the other (2) offeres stayed the same still.

we booked a Mini suite BA 3/6/16 for the 3 of us under a KSF promo and UBP all in for $2617.00 total. i called the upsell and was offered a Penthouse Haven for $500/pp for me and my DW...so its an extra $1000 to the bottom line. our son would still be free. alot of readers here are yelling do it!! do it!! but the extra $1000 represents new patio furniture to my loving wife...but i want the Haven!!! who do you think will prevail??? i guess you need to wait and read my complete review that i will do...spoiler alert::: its gonna be from a Mini Suite perspective or a penthouse haven...stay tuned :)

Hmmmm...will I see you in the Haven lounge or not?

I called this morning, and when they saw I was already booked in the Haven (forward PH) they were much more generous with their offers. I took an upgrade to what I thought was OS, but when I got off the phone and looked, I had actually upgraded to DOS! I was going to surprise DH but came home for lunch and couldn't keep the secret. He's just as excited as I am!

:):D:) I think so. It was a tough decision, but since it is a special trip for my mom I decided to go for it. Maybe over the next 2 weeks the price will drop a little bit and you'll be able to get in.

I think next week i will counter offer the $1000 and see what happens..:)

If not, when we walk by the haven i will just yell "Hi Hansolo" and you will know its me...lol...and everyone else in the Haven would be like is there a star wars convention here this week?? :)

if i get in to Haven im sure i will post it...

Hmmmm...will I see you in the Haven lounge or not?

I called this morning, and when they saw I was already booked in the Haven (forward PH) they were much more generous with their offers. I took an upgrade to what I thought was OS, but when I got off the phone and looked, I had actually upgraded to DOS! I was going to surprise DH but came home for lunch and couldn't keep the secret. He's just as excited as I am!

OMG!!!! that is actually a dream come true...im so happy for you...i hope we can all laugh about this in the haven in 16 days!!!! I dont think i could keep it a secret either....i just worry about our 6 yr old son who would get a taste of the good life and then on our next cruise if not haven he may feel like we are "punishing' him...lmfao!!!!

Cheers,

-Mark

OMG!!!! that is actually a dream come true...im so happy for you...i hope we can all laugh about this in the haven in 16 days!!!! I dont think i could keep it a secret either....i just worry about our 6 yr old son who would get a taste of the good life and then on our next cruise if not haven he may feel like we are "punishing' him...lmfao!!!!

Cheers,

-Mark

Too funny - DH just asked how we would ever sail again in a non-suite cabin!

I guess we'll find out because we're booked in a regular old balcony cabin on Anthem of the Seas in October :-) Suite prices on that ship are crazy high right now.

Huh? Not at all true. We were in an OV and offered an upsell to a Suite. We declined that but did upsell to a midship balcony...for a fraction...

Too funny - DH just asked how we would ever sail again in a non-suite cabin!

I guess we'll find out because we're booked in a regular old balcony cabin on Anthem of the Seas in October :-) Suite prices on that ship are crazy high right now.

OMG - you're kidding, we're booked in a balcony on the Anthem in Oct - the 10/15 sailing to Bermuda. It's our anniversary week.

Mark - you need to join the roll call so we can at least meet up at the M&G.

I can tell you i've been offered (and accepted) upsells many times from inside, oceanview, and balcony rooms. It's absolutely not true that the upsell line requires a mini-suite.

This is through the UPSELL line.

It must be then based on inventory..again i stated that this was my experience...i certainly would not mislead anyone relying on accurate information. If the woman i spoke to said oh ok your father in law can just call himself and we can offer him the mini for $100 dont you think i would have included that in my post. Right now i was told only passengers in Mini or higher can call. but again, they did say my father in law (we will call him JIM, cause that's his name) can call on Monday 2/29 when we are a week out from sailing.

My fingers hurt!!!

-Mark