Is it more safe to take the jitney or a taxi?

Florida2016

We are considering doing at beach day at the Melia, but I'm a bit concerned about safety getting there. My husband and I have been to Nassau a few times (even walked a good bit of the island getting to different forts), but this will be our first time taking our kids off the ship. Would it be safer to take the #10 jitney or a taxi?

I fully agree. Taking the Jitney means you have to find the stop, have money prepared and it is a bit cramped, especially if it is even half way full. Taking a taxi requires you to get off the ship and walk to the street.

The Jitney is much cheaper and we sort of liked it. It is part of the Bahamas experience, at least, for us.

Cheers

Len

Thank you so much for the replies! I guess I'm just being overly cautious now that we have kids. I never felt unsafe when were in Nassau before, but the recent warnings have made me think maybe things have changed. I was just imagining the bad things that could happen on both the taxi and jitney, but I'm glad to hear they both seem like safe options and it's more a matter of time and money on which option to take.

Edited by Florida2016

We've taken the jitney to the Melia it was safe, but on the way home we were picked up right outside and he drove around until he filled his bus, passing back by the hotel! Seats flipped out so there isn't even a walkway, everyone has to get off to let people off, if I had to do it again especially with little kids (my kids were teenagers) I would take a taxi, so much more convenient.