Balmoral Island vs. Melia

curious_st

I will be in Nassau in May, and I am looking for a low-key relaxing beach day. We aren't heavy drinkers, so the all-inclusive resorts are too overpriced for our needs. I just want a beautiful beach with clear ocean waters, and some shade or umbrellas due to my tendency to sunburn.

I am considering Balmoral Island and Melia. Does anyone have any feedback on these options!

I found this website and emailed the Melia resort about it: https://www.bookatourcaribbean.com/MeliaNassauDayPass

The Melia said that it is a legitimate website and that they would honor passes bought through them, but they still tried to tell me that I should buy passes directly from them instead. They said they're having a promotion where they will take $5 off per adult pass if you sign up for their rewards program. Even with the discount, it's still less for us to go through the website because the kids prices are a lot less. I haven't decided whether to buy ahead of time through the website or buy when I get there in case we change our minds about going.

We have not sailed yet, but used bookatourcaribbean to book Melia. I got the confirmation within hours. It is well written and formatted, and includes the appropriate information plus a paragraph on how to catch the Jitney and some other basic Bahamas info. They seem quite professional, thought I obviously won't know if we run into problems on the island until April. ;)

I have never bought passes from a 3rd party. I didn't know what the weather was doing so I didn't want to make a commitment until the actual day.

I have always just walked up to the front desk and bought the passes. I've been in January, February, March, and April (spring break). I have never been turned away.

Not sure which to book. Have two teenage daughters and two boys under 10. Which is better beach and more comfortable chairs and plenty of umbrellas?

I'd go w/ Melia for a few reasons. Hilton is kind of a quiet place, tiny waves. The water at Melia seems to be a little more fun b/c the waves are bigger, there is music sometimes.

Also, sometimes on the beach in front of the Melia there is a company that sets up a big inflatable slide. When our boys were younger, they did this and had a great time. Sometimes the slide is charged each time you slide down, but if business is slow, then you can work a deal for unlimited. The slide was not there last month in January so I don't know if they still show up.