Docking in Jamaica

Mjasp

We just got back from Jamaica on the Caribbean Princess. The pier from the ship went right to the village..it is neat there is a waterslide into the pool and a lovely beach with a trampoline out in the water to jump off. There is some shade on the beach. Margaritaville is fun they have an mc who leads dancing my hubby got a free margarita for participating in all the dances. The shopping is good, a mix of stores high end and reasonable. Best part is you can get off the ship and not go into town, there is security surrounding the village so we felt quite safe there. They had the usual 3 for $12 t-shirts and some 30 t-shirts, the cheap ones were very nice. Plenty of jewelry stores also and they said at night there is entertainment in the band gazebo. Definitely visit it.

Anyone going on the Costa Mediterranea Nov 27???

When we went to Ocho Rios last year on the Atlantica we docked at a horrible pier, the other ships seemed to be around the bay and what appeared to be a newer dock. All we had was a taxi office and security guards keeping only official JUTA taxis inside the dock.

• 2 months later...

We just got back last week from Ocho. There are two docks - the "main" one and the James Bond (Reynolds Dock officially) Dock. While the James Bond Dock is nothing much to look at (see below), it's not what I would call horrible and it's only a few minute walk (maybe 1/2 mile or so) from Island Village around the opposite side from the main dock. Don't stress over it - in Jamaica there are only situations - no problems, mon!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/527441400/527467010SWgZjL

Here is a pic of our ship docked at James Bond - we could still see Island Village behind us when I took this.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/527441400/527469305yTIxRx

Tide...Thanks for that piece of info. So if I am reading what you wrote correctly, the main dock is where Island Village is and the James Bond dock is about a 1/2 mile from Island Village? They are the only 2 docks in Ocho Rios, so know matter where we dock, Island Village is within walking distance? Is this correct?

I thank you for your response and the ship you were on looked pretty nice, did you have a good time and did you do any excursions in Jamaica? Did you go to Island Village?

Joanna

Joanna, yes, as far as I know or saw, there are only two docks in Ocho. I'm not sure how many ships total they could accommodate. The Radiance of the Seas and the Norwegian Dawn were in port with us, both at the "main" dock. I personally sort of liked docking at James Bond away from the crowds. We also found a nice immigration guy who was willing to stamp our passports for us.

We did an incredible, awesome, WONDERFUL excursion in Ocho and I recommend him highly. Phil Lafayette. http://www.phil-lafayette-tours.com/ Tell him Sarcastic Steve, Dynamite Donna and Jammin' Jeff sent you!

Phil charges $20 for his services plus the fees for whatever you do ($15 for Dunn's River Falls, $20 for river tubing, etc.). He will customize the day for you.... if you don't want to climb the falls or tube or whatever, fine. He took us to The Jerk Centre for lunch which was the highlight of my day - 20-alarm jerk and Red Stripe... PERFECT!

You will not only have a wonderful tour, you'll make a friend for life!

As for Island Village, it's very nice in a Caribbean Island shopping village kind of way. There are all the usual stores (jewelry, Del Sol, etc.) and Margaritaville is right there in the middle of it. Be warned about Margaritaville.... the service is SLOW, SLOW, SLOW! If you want (as we did) just to grab an obligatory margarita just to say you did, do it at the bar - it took us 40 minutes to get served one round of drinks at a table - and the place wasn't that crowded!

I would disagree with dorijo on the issue of security. While we also felt reasonably safe there, no more so than anywhere else. In fact, the only place all day I was offered marijuana was at the entrance/exit to Island Village where I was offered a joint for $2. My 20 year old DS on the other hand told me later he was offered it everywhere we went, but much more clandestinely.

Enjoy Ocho - we certainly did!

Thanks you again for your experience in Ocho. I will check out the website you provided. I just got done looking at your pics and I did see your excursions to Dunn's river falls and tubing. was the water rough and deep where you went tubing. It looked like you all had a good time.

Joanna

Archived