Wine-by-the-glass and more drink questions

vinotinto

Thanks for posting the updated list. I'm now reconsidereding the UBP. With only one cab by the glass, I don't see how we would not venture into "by the bottle" territory. We're on a port intensive 12 night cruise, so not sure if I'll drink the $150 tip charge with this wine by the glass list.

For $150, you could bring on 10 bottles of wine from home and pay the corkage of $15 each. Factoring in the cost of the wine (say $10 a bottle for something drinkable, but not over the top), you could still get 6 bottles for the $150. If you don't think that you will drink more than 6 bottles worth during your cruise, you may be better off bringing your own or buying what you want by the bottle/glass once on board.

We had the UBP and loved it, but I think we probably had 5 or 6 glasses of wine each all week, since we were enjoying all of the other beverage options onboard.

For $150, you could bring on 10 bottles of wine from home and pay the corkage of $15 each. Factoring in the cost of the wine (say $10 a bottle for something drinkable, but not over the top), you could still get 6 bottles for the $150. If you don't think that you will drink more than 6 bottles worth during your cruise, you may be better off bringing your own or buying what you want by the bottle/glass once on board.

We had the UBP and loved it, but I think we probably had 5 or 6 glasses of wine each all week, since we were enjoying all of the other beverage options onboard.

I hear you. I've brought wine on the cruises departing from port canaveral and San Juan. Except now we're departing from Venice, so we'll likely fly with a 21" 7 kg carry-on, so unless we have a chance to buy wine in Venice proper, we won't be bringing wine on-board. That wine by the glass list is seriously skimpy.

Edited by vinotinto

Thanks for posting the updated list. I'm now reconsidereding the UBP. With only one cab by the glass, I don't see how we would not venture into "by the bottle" territory. We're on a port intensive 12 night cruise, so not sure if I'll drink the $150 tip charge with this wine by the glass list.

I was on the Escape - February 6-13

There is a by the bottle package that is offered on board -- it is for 4, 6 or 8 bottles for a discounted amount. The 4 bottle option worked well for me as I don't even come close to drinking the gratuity amount on the UBP. The 4th bottle wasn't opened until our last dinner and was half full when we left, so it was a great option for a light drinker

The wine choices were bundled by price - there were 4 for $88 plus 18% up to 4 for 110 plus the 18%. I thought I brought home the list and will scan if I did. They give you a ticket for each wine you chose. You can have the wine in any dining room, if not finished they give you a receipt for when you want it next or you can take it with you. I ended up eating more meat then fish and had no problem exchanging a white wine choice for a red from the same price group.

• 1 month later...
I am not a wine connoisseur by any means but I really liked the Moscato they had: the Lindeman's Bin 90 from Australia.

Beth

We discovered Lindeman's wines when we visited Australia. Not expensive and good. Too bad they don't offer the Lindeman's Cab.

Still. I am very disappointed with NCL's lack of options on the drinks packages. If there was an option where a glass cost a little over the cutoff, we just pay the difference, but now that option is not available.

I say a POX on all the darn drink packages. Go back to just pricing the cruse with no freebies.

Thanks for posting, when I cruised NCL, there appeared to be more options. Have one on Spirit coming up in August. But with that anytime dining thing wonder what happens to the bottles. Something to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the Fleetwide Wine list which is pretty much what you can expect to get on the Spirit. (The prices may not be up to date, but with the UBP you won't notice, almost everything will be fully included.)

No fancy coffees (latte, cappuccino, etc.) are included in the UBP.

That list is no longer valid with the new UBP

Edited by renata102

Can you upgrade to a better glass of wine paying the difference? New to ncl drink package

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope it is what it is

I chose no UBP and brought my own wine aboard and paid corkage fee. I actually saves about $300 doing that

Ok, I can see how they can classify Veuve Clicquot as super premium (it not but I get it)... The wife would be really pissed if the cocktail of the day and the restaurant ones were not included.

Cliquot has been separate since we first sailed Getaway in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

This is from the Jewel on our March 13-20 cruise. I've taken photos of all the bar menus. The last page of all menus shows the wines available by the glass.

http://www.plane2port.com/norwegian-jewel-bar-menus/

Yes, you get a 20% discount on bottles with the UBP, and all adults in the room must get the package.

Thank you !!!!

I see no non alcohol beer listed...:confused: They always had it

This is from the Jewel on our March 13-20 cruise. I've taken photos of all the bar menus. The last page of all menus shows the wines available by the glass.

http://www.plane2port.com/norwegian-jewel-bar-menus/

Yes, you get a 20% discount on bottles with the UBP, and all adults in the room must get the package.

It does seem that NCL has reduced the availability of wines by the glass. Thank you for the comprehensive list.

Only when purchasing it, nowadays most people get it as a booking perk and that rule does not apply.

Only when purchasing it, nowadays most people get it as a booking perk and that rule does not apply.

Really how would they know. Gee whiz, believe me its not free. Your paying for it with your cruise fare. They are just marketing tools. And the service fee is I heard does not go directly to the servers.

Really how would they know. Gee whiz, believe me its not free. Your paying for it with your cruise fare. They are just marketing tools. And the service fee is I heard does not go directly to the servers.

Never said it was free nor absolutely anything about service charges related to it on some bookings - neither of those things is relevant at all to the subject at hand.

Edited by Demonyte

Never said it was free nor absolutely anything about service charges related to it on some bookings - neither of those things is relevant at all to the subject at hand.

Let me explain my intention, you get an UBP as a promo to purchase the cruise.

So what is the difference of getting your cabin cheaper and purchasing the package, or paying for your cabin with the package.

That is what is meant believe me it's not free. I don't understand why NCL would distinguish between the two.

As for the service charges, it was another issue on this thread. The Free package comes with an 18% service fee.

Thank you for advising us we will be paying full price if we order a bottle of wine.

Whether it bothers you a little or a lot, the decrese in wine selection by glass, might want to mention it on comment cards. This is an obvious move to cut their costs. If it seems to go unnoticed, I expect beer and other drinks will follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Does anyone have a list of the standard wines by the glass and beers we can expect to find? And do they have different choices in the Europe itineraries? We're sailing in the Spirit.

Also, what non-alcoholic beverages are included in UDP? I saw fresh OJ is not and "some Lavazza", what about fancy coffees?

First timers on NCL, so any help or tips with UDP is greatly appreciated!

When are u sailing?

Let me explain my intention, you get an UBP as a promo to purchase the cruise.

So what is the difference of getting your cabin cheaper and purchasing the package, or paying for your cabin with the package.

That is what is meant believe me it's not free. I don't understand why NCL would distinguish between the two.

The reason is clear: if they required every extra (3rd and up) person in cabin to purchase the package in addition to 1st and 2nd passenger getting it as a promo, that would mean a lot of unjustifiable extra costs for passengers. When the package is purchased separately, that is customer's choice to do so - up until very recently one couldn't even book a cruise without it having the inflated price because of the included promo.

As for the service charges, it was another issue on this thread. The Free package comes with an 18% service fee.

Not always, it only applies to non-full-suite bookings through the US office. Suite passengers and all passengers booking through the UK and CE offices are exempted.

Thank you for advising us we will be paying full price if we order a bottle of wine.

? Never said anything like that, you are now confusing posts/posters. If you have UBP, you will get 20% discount of wine bottles.