Carnival's Youth Program - Camp Carnival vs. Circle "C"

MMLEsq

Apologies if this has been asked/answered in other threads (I did a quick search and didn't see any).

Our daughter will be 11 when we embark on the Splendor next month, but turns 12 on Day 4 of the 7-night cruise. Camp Carnival has a program for 9-11 year olds, and Circle "C" is for 12-14 year olds. She'd probably rather be with older kids, if given the choice.

Does anyone know if Carnival would let us register her for Circle "C" on Day 1? I wouldn't want to move her from one program to the other mid-week (if that was even an option), so whichever program she's in at the beginning of the cruise is where she'll stay.

If there's an official policy on this (Carnival's website merely states that the age is determined according to the child’s birth date which is provided from documentation received at embarkation, but doesn't state what happens if the child's age changes during the cruise), then perhaps there's no wiggle room here. However, if they do sometimes make exceptions, it's perhaps somewhat relevant to note that she looks older than 11 and she's been on many cruises -- for the last year or so we've felt comfortable allowing her to sign herself in and out of the kids programs on various ships.

My experience with the kids clubs on other lines is that they are not big fan of exceptions, and my guess is that they would go by the date of embarkation. But you can ask.

My daughter is going to age out of the program entirely before we leave, and Carnival does state that they do not take 18 year olds in the teen 15-17 year old group even if they are still in high school or if they have a sibling in the group....no exceptions.

My guess is that they will have no problem with it. I think especially because you mentioned it being next month (March) so you are likely to be on a cruise with lots of kids they will likely be happy to move her to circle c, where they can handle more kids. Last time we were on a March cruise with Carnival they had to keep moving the 9-11 group around to various spots on the ship because Camp Carnival was overflowing.

Also, my son turned 6 on night 4 of one of our cruises and they placed him in the 6-8 group for the week (with our permission/ they asked us at registration).

Edited by FlaMommy75

• 1 month later...

Original poster reporting back on our experience on the Splendor last week. On the first day we went to Camp Carnival and asked whether it would be possible for our daughter to start in Circle C even though she didn't turn 12 until Day 4 of the cruise. They told us that a child couldn't register for Circle C (ages 12-14) unless/until they were 11. (???) So, since my daughter was already 11 (turning 12 in the middle of the cruise), they said it was fine to register her for Circle C. Overhearing some of the questions being asked around us, it seemed like they were making quite a few accommodations to allow siblings to be together (regardless of the official ages for each program).

We did have to sign a form requesting the switch.

So, at least on the Splendor, they were not sticklers for the published age ranges for each program.

Thanks for the update...I sure hope they make an accommodation for my girls on the Inspiration...I never thought they would until I read your post....But hey they just might to allow them to stay together. I have an 10 turning 11 the next month after our cruise & 11 (turning 12 year old by sail time) . I would like them both in Circle C. We'll see

Edited by ccw2891

Thanks for the update. Nice to hear they can be flexible. My son will be six weeks shy of his 9th birthday, so I don't think there is anyway possible they will let him move up and be with his siblings, but we are going to ask.

BTW... I really enjoyed your signature. That's quite a variety of cruises you've been on! :)

DS turned 9 on a 4 day Inspiration cruise this past December and staff wouldn't let me enroll him in the 9-11 year group. I think it depends on the staff member you speak with when you go to registration on embarkation day.

There's different rules (probably insurance related) for 8 and younger and 9 and older. Under 8 they need to be checked out by responsible adults. Over 9 and they can check out themselves. The other age that gets this treatment are the kids who turn two onboard. They aren't allowed in the kids clubs, they're treated as under two.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We always cruise in August. My youngest DS birthday is in September. When my DS was in the cusp of another age group, I always have him check out the one he's "suppose" to be in the when kids club are open. If he feels he's too old for it, I ask them to move him up. Every ship he's been on has been accommodating and moved him up. They told me they will make the exception only because his birthday is the following month. Ask them if they can move your DD. I can't see why they can't make the exception.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, my son was turning 6 about a week after out cruise. Everyone agreed to have him try out the 2-5 age group the first night and if he felt too old, the staff would allow him to move up for the rest of the cruise. And that's what happened, he felt too old for the 2 to 5 year Olds and absolutely loved being with the 6 to 8 year olds.

My daughter was 2 weeks shy from turning 2 and they would not let her enroll. This year my nephew is coming, he's 5 and my daughter is 6 and we're hoping they can stay together, but don't want them to get their hopes up. If they move the 5 year old up, my 3 year old will be left alone and she won't like that. But, my 6 year old probably doesn't want to stay in the 2-5 group, such tough calls!