Cramped in a balcony cabin with a toddler?! Help please!

Disprincess2213

DH and I cruised many times but not since we had a baby. We never felt overly cramped and were satisfied with the standard room and never felt the need for extra room or amenities. We are ready to start back up our cruising fun with her included....my question is, has anyone who has travelled with a toddler (3,4,5 year old) felt too cramped in a standard balcony cabin? We are toying around the idea of upgrading to a haven aft suite for $1800 more. I don't know what to do. What are your experiences and would you consider paying $1800 more for almost triple the space since there will be 3 people in one room?

We took our 6 year old on his first cruise in October in an Aft Penthouse on Getaway. It was a TON of space & the balcony was huge! We also had family (my sister, BIL & 2 yo niece) in the adjoining cabin, and still never felt cramped. It was a great cabin that I would book again in a heartbeat- if only the price would come down.

Ha!! Thank you so much for sharing! I would never have considered the Haven rooms if not for the size of the aft room.... we most likely wouldn't do the ensuite dining or concierge services but the room size is what we are looking for.... the ship is the Breakaway as well and its the aft penthouse. I just cant decide if the $1800 is worth it just to not feel cramped for the week lol!

We started cruising when our son was 4. Yes rooms are tight. It depends on if you can deal with the tight or not. Toddlers nap and so you spend more time in the room.

Think of it this way lots of people put 4 adults in a inside, now that is tight.

Not sure of what ship you are going on but another benefit of some aft suites besides the Haven is the extra 1/2 bath.

We started cruising with our son when he was 11 months old. He's now 5'10", and we still don't feel cramped in a room. We all move well with and around each other. Plenty of people sleep 4 adults in these cabins. It's not a big deal if you don't make it one. A toddler really doesn't take up much space.

We have cruised a few times with kids in a balcony cabin, it was not an issue for us. We were very comfortable.

As far as having a larger balcony, that is always a plus for us. We always opt for a larger balcony when available, because we really enjoy sitting outside. Plus, it gives you a place to relax when the kids take a nap.

you guys are awesome!! thank you!!

we currently have a regular aft facing balcony (no suite, just regular) so the balcony is a bit larger than a standard balcony. Would having the oversized balcony on the aft affect your decision to upgrade?

I would definitely not trade that! Many of the Haven suites have tiny balconies. As the other poster said, this will give you a wonderful place to hang out and have drinks or whatever while your child sleeps. Perfect!

We took our 19-month-old on his first cruise and opted for a suite. The extra room was a plus for all of the toddler gear -- stroller, case of diapers, etc -- and having a butler who could keep our fridge stocked with lactose-free milk as well as a concierge who could keep waiting-in-line times to a minimum were very beneficial, we thought.

Having said that, would we have gone anyway if we didn't have a suite? Absolutely! :)

we were in a inside with our 5 yr old. Bed came down from ceiling. we were fine.

book the balcony...and when cruise gets closer (inside 3 weeks or so) start calling upsell number and maybe get a better deal...

side note: it was our first cruise last year with our 5 year old and we were in our cabin MUCH more then when we just cruised husband and wife...it seemed that after 9pm one or both of us was in the room because of our sons bedtime...so take that in consideration. at least with a balcony you have a place while your child is sleeping to enjoy each others company and have a glass (or 2)!!! and not wake him/her.

Best,

Mark

Just off the Gem a couple of weeks ago, two of us and one 4 1/2 year old in a standard balcony room.

He had a pull out couch much bigger than his little body to spread out on every night and we our our bed, when everyone is laying down no one is cramped. When we were awake and the bed was put away two people could easily sit on the couch and a third pull up a chair for that little table thing, or if someone was out on the balcony the inside space was more than enough, and that includes when I would go up to the buffet and bring down food for the three of us to eat in the room.

If you are just using your room as a base of operations, a place for naps, sleeping, meals out on the balcony, or breakfast, there is no reason to spend that much more money for a little more room. If you want your room to be a huge part of the cruise and plan on spending a whole lot of time in there, go for it, otherwise there is no need.

We have cruised with a 10 month old in a mini suite on Epic, and have a mini suite on Breakaway booked this summer (he is 2 now). If he were ready to sleep on the sofa bed I would be fine with a regular balcony cabin, but he is still in a pack n play so we prefer a little extra space for that.

Pre-kid I was fine sailing in an inside, and booked a balcony as a special treat. Now I feel like I at least need a balcony when sailing with him. If it were easily within my budget I'd jump on the aft Haven room. You may have days you want the in room dining with a toddler!! But if it were an uncomfortable stretch to my budget (which it probably would be) I wouldn't worry at all about being in a balcony cabin.

We have cruised with a 10 month old in a mini suite on Epic, and have a mini suite on Breakaway booked this summer (he is 2 now). If he were ready to sleep on the sofa bed I would be fine with a regular balcony cabin, but he is still in a pack n play so we prefer a little extra space for that.

Pre-kid I was fine sailing in an inside, and booked a balcony as a special treat. Now I feel like I at least need a balcony when sailing with him. If it were easily within my budget I'd jump on the aft Haven room. You may have days you want the in room dining with a toddler!! But if it were an uncomfortable stretch to my budget (which it probably would be) I wouldn't worry at all about being in a balcony cabin.

I think the minisuites on the breakaway are the same size as balconies, but with bigger balconies.

We have cruised with my 2 sons since the youngest walls 19 months. We have always sailed in OV or inside and never had a problem. Yes it was cramped but we were not in our room much to care. We are sailing in a suite for the first time because of an awesome upsell for $600 total. I would not pay an extra 1800 though

You will be fine, seen lots of families in inside cabins, you have to accept the space, balcony space will be great. I wouldn't spend the extra unless price/cost is not an issue. It's all a matter of personal preference, spend on room or spend on other things, drinks, meals, trips ....you pay your money however suits you. Just have good family holiday.

It's all state of mind if you think you won't like it you won't!

The answer totally depends on what you use your cabin for. We have been in both suites and standard balconies with TWO toddlers several times. If you like to use your cabin for more that sleeping, changing, napping, showering, etc there is simply not much room. One toddler could play on the floor at the foot of the pull out sofa or on the balcony if he / she is not really rambunctious but if your toddler expresses himself or herself through active use of space you might even feel confined in a suite.

We had great cruises in Dec and Feb in standard balcony cabins by letting our kids (now 3 and 5) use the Splash Academy whenever the were interested, took them swimming in the main and splash pools regularly and letting them run free on the sun deck / sports court areas as long as the weren't disturbing others. Once we were back in the room they were tired enough that watching a movie or playing with a toy quietly on the floor seemed to do the trick.

My kids first cruise was in a Carnival OV room....they loved it! She was 3 and he was 6, they had a top bunk and a lower bed, we had a queen. They are now 8 and 10 and we have an OV on the Gem. I'm considering upgrading to a balcony or mini suite for extra room because they are much bigger now. Unless you can afford it, I think you'll be perfectly fine with the smaller room. Good luck!

The aft penthouse suites on breakaway are amazing, we cruised in one with our boys and had a fantastic time because of the cabin. Weird, I know, but the view from the aft balcony is unbelievable and it's like you have your own private sundeck.

The advantage of the balcony/mini suite vs full suite is that you will have a proper bedroom separate from where the pull out bed is located. You don't say if your toddler will be sleeping in the bed or some other arrangement, but if having private sleeping arrangements is important, the aft suite gives you this privacy. You could also put toddler to nap in the main bedroom during the day and have useable living space inside the cabin, rather than just the balcony.

You could easily survive in a balcony cabin, but the suite gives those extras that make a trip special. Plus having the ability to eat in the suite and not battle with dining rooms (Haven or otherwise) would be a bonus to me too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When we cruised with a 2 1/2 year old and 10 months old we did the 2 bedroom suite (which isn't an option on all ships). It is amazing. Not cramped at all and has a lovely tub with a view.

Our friends with a 2 1/2 year old did a balcony. The main downside is that once kiddo is sleeping, you are either stuck on the balcony or inside a dark and quiet room.

To make the most of it, bring stuff to do on the balcony and/or consider having a romantic dinner or desert on the balcony each night after the toddler has the buffet dinner.

Check out your money and see what your options are within your budget. You can make any room work, but balcony is preferable to inside, and a suite with a separate living room is preferable to a balcony.

For the Breakaway, I think the Aft Facing Penthouse with Master Bedroom or Fwd Facing Penthouse would be great options due the separate living room. However, I haven't been on the ship.

Edited by ireashmott