Boots & Expedition Cruise - NOT Antarctica or the Artic

frickwg

My wife and I are booked on a Silversea Expedition cruise around Scotland and later in the year in Japan. We have been to Antarctica and have the tall, sturdy rubber boots for really wet landings, but do we need them for these cruises? We have waterproof hiking boots that are fine for very wet walks and rain, but are they enough for these cruises? The tall boots are heavy and bulky and we would prefer not to take them unless they are really needed.

Can anyone help?

My wife and I are booked on a Silversea Expedition cruise around Scotland and later in the year in Japan. We have been to Antarctica and have the tall, sturdy rubber boots for really wet landings, but do we need them for these cruises? We have waterproof hiking boots that are fine for very wet walks and rain, but are they enough for these cruises? The tall boots are heavy and bulky and we would prefer not to take them unless they are really needed.

Can anyone help?

We did Explorer around the British Isles. There was never a time that we needed tall "Muck" boots. We wore our regular ankle height waterproof hiking boots. What I would recommend is walking poles. There were areas that were quite slick due to rain and no railings to hold and the poles were necessary.

frickwg, I have the same question about the cruise on Silver Explorer from Iceland to Greenland in August this year.

In Antarctica, the long rubber boots (muck boots/wellingtons/galoshes) were needed for wet landings. I didn't much enjoy them on ice or snow but that may be my inexperience of walking in snow and ice. I'm still searching for an appropriate boot for our post-cruise Iceland tour.

frickwg, I have the same question about the cruise on Silver Explorer from Iceland to Greenland in August this year.

In Antarctica, the long rubber boots (muck boots/wellingtons/galoshes) were needed for wet landings. I didn't much enjoy them on ice or snow but that may be my inexperience of walking in snow and ice. I'm still searching for an appropriate boot for our post-cruise Iceland tour.

We were told by the expedition leader that there are a lot of wet landings on the itinerary you are booked on that would require knee high waterproof boots.

Thanks Karaoke Queen. Are you considering this cruise?

We originally booked it but found that expedition cruising wasn't a good fit for us. Although we are young, getting up at the crack of dawn, going all day, the daily briefings, dinner, back to bed wasn't exactly our cup of tea.

I think it's a lovely option for people to have and glad SS offers such trips.

Enjoy :)