Aft cabin for Alaska cruise?

KathiB

I have a chance to book cabin 7140 on the Rotterdam deck for an Alaska cruise this June. Have never had an aft cabin. Pros and cons? The other choice would be a veranda forward or aft on the side. Help me decide! Thanks.

Edited by KathiB

Which ship? I've had the corner on 7 on Oosterdam and Westerdam, and the balcony is deeper than the balconies on the side. I know you're looking at a veranda cabin, but you still get the extra depth. I find watching the wake from an aft cabin absolutely mesmerizing.

I can't think of any cons.

I have done an aft on one inside passage cruise. It was Norwegian Star but still my personal favorite for the passage.

It is sheltered from breezes, larger balcony and the view is fantastic. Southbound I could sit and watch the Big Dipper in the sky all night long. It literally filled the sky!

In a stern cabin that is not on the corner you get just a brief view of things you have passed as they recede. On the side you get a longer look as you approach, pass, and then move away from things ... but only on one side. We only had a stern cabin once, and I did not care for it ... except for the deeper balcony.

Edited by jtl513

I have a chance to book cabin 7140 on the Rotterdam deck for an Alaska cruise this June. Have never had an aft cabin. Pros and cons? The other choice would be a veranda forward or aft on the side. Help me decide! Thanks.

Whichever you decide, be sure to get out and about the ship especially when cruising Glacier Bay. You have great scenery all through the Inside Passage too, and staying on your aft you will not get the full appreciation of it.

The ship is the Westerdam. I have decided to go ahead with the aft veranda. I think it will be fun for Alaska as we will be out of the breeze a bit and will have the larger balcony. Our two grown daughters will be in an inside cabin nearby and they can join us on our larger balcony sometimes. For Glacier Bay and other spots we ill all be out on the open decks to appreciate the full view.

Edited by KathiB

The ship is the Westerdam. I have decided to go ahead with the aft veranda. I think it will be fun for Alaska as we will be out of the breeze a bit and will have the larger balcony. Our two grown daughters will be in an inside cabin nearby and they can join us on our larger balcony sometimes. For Glacier Bay and other spots we ill all be out on the open decks to appreciate the full view.

You will also enjoy these views from your wind-sheltered aft balcony.:):)

P1000269_0583.jpg

P1000202_0650.jpg

Cheers!

We'd been lucky to stay in aft corner wraps on 5 cruises. They were gone when we booked our last cruise and we took a middle aft cabin on deck 6. The exhaust was terrible and stunk. That was the first time we had ever experienced that. We had ash before but never the stinky fumes. Worst steward too we ever had on 16 cruises (Oosterdam) We had to get our own ice. our $30 six pack of beer on departure was waiting for us in our cabin with no ice.

Edited by wntgoislnds

We love the aft wrap cabins!! Only downside is that if you get open water in Alaska you are going to feel the movement of the ship a bit more than something in the middle. However, we love the views and to us it's worth it. (If you're sailing inside passage...it's a no brainer...do the aft view!!)

Hi KB,

>I have decided to go ahead with the aft veranda.

Good choice.

We did the Vancouver-->Seward route on the Oosterdam this past August in an aft cabin.

The ship will spend a lot of time in glacier Bay while she makes a 180 turn.

You will have a great view of everything, without crowds.

Enjoy your visit.

Ira