Excursion Question with Captain Marvins??

ryzmom

If you booked an excursion with Captain Marvins for Stingray City, what is the best time do to the excursion? On their website, they give you 3 times for a short excursion:

8:30 AM to 10:30 AM, 11:15 AM to 1:15 PM, or 1:45 to 3:45 PM

Monday through Friday (Check in by 8:00 AM, 10:45 AM or 1:15 PM)

I just want to make sure we get there in plenty enough time and get back to the ship in plenty enough time. Also, does anyone know if they can book a YEAR in advance for shore excursions?

Thanks so much!

:D

We took the 11:15 excursion last year when we were in Grand Cayman and it worked out fine. Our ship docked within a short walk of the office. We were on another cruise line so I am not sure where RCCI docks. We had plenty of time to have breakfast and take a tender over to the island. We also returned in plenty of time so we never felt rushed. I don't know the answer to your question about booking a year in advance. Have fun. We really enjoyed it!

All ships use tender service to go ashore in Grand Cayman. The tender pier is in the downtown area. It is about a ten minute walk from the tender pier to Captain Marvins office. You need to keep in mind that when the tender service starts to run, they will normally give priority to go ashore to the passengers that have booked excursions with the cruise line. If you book your own excurion you may have to wait a short while before you can get off the ship. Which of Captain Marvins excursions to book really depends on what time your ship is scheduled to arrive in and depart from Grand Cayman. Personally, I prefer an excursion in the morning so we can go to the beach in the afternoon and relax.

Not as crowded as afternoon & the other cruiselines excursions with 200 folks with the Stingrays together looks like a cartoon. We have our own area & the Rays head to us. Bucket of food to feed them for the 30 max on the ship. We did the half day with Stingrays for an hour & the snorkeling half hour at each reef.

Then lunch & back for beach time.

When we went, they had a 3 hour tour from 10:00a.m. to 1:00, and that is the one we took. We walk right from where we tender(short walk) We had no problem getting back to the ship on time. Even had time to shop. The tour was one of our favorite things that we did, we also did this same tour 2 years ago also. Have fun and enjoy your cruise, KMBB

I totally and politely disagree with you on the tender issue. We booked Captain Marvins on our Rhapsody cruise in 2002. We waited with all the other people at deck 0 to catch the tender. We were on the first tender. Never was there an announcement about what excursions, if any, people had. We did not have to show tickets. We walked on the boat and were off to Grand Cayman.

Now, back to the original question...

We booked the early tour for the day. When we got to the office, which was a fifteen minute or so walk from the pier, we were informed that there were not enough people signed up for our particular trip. The people asked us if we would mind taking the longer trip for the same price. We were assured that we would be returned to GC in plenty of time. Well, the trip was more than incredible! We saw two reefs and a moray eel and played with stingrays. We would never hesitate to use Captain Marvins again or to recommend them.

Go to their website and see if you can book now. They were very professional. When I booked our trip online, I got the date wrong. They corrected the date and all was good. We didn't pay until we got to the office.

Good luck. I know you'll be thrilled with captain Marvins.

All ships use tender service to go ashore in Grand Cayman. The tender pier is in the downtown area. It is about a ten minute walk from the tender pier to Captain Marvins office. You need to keep in mind that when the tender service starts to run, they will normally give priority to go ashore to the passengers that have booked excursions with the cruise line. If you book your own excurion you may have to wait a short while before you can get off the ship. Which of Captain Marvins excursions to book really depends on what time your ship is scheduled to arrive in and depart from Grand Cayman. Personally, I prefer an excursion in the morning so we can go to the beach in the afternoon and relax.

Archived