What Changes Would You Like NCL To Make?

cruzeluver

We cruised on the Pride of America on Sept. 17th. I do have a few suggestions for NCL:

Like everybody else, update the website. We made our shore excursions by website, when we got the confirmation by e-mail it was wrong. I called to make the correction, was assured that it was made, and when we got on board, it was not changed. We made the changes on board.

Customer service precruise is poor. I went through my TA and when were making the final arrangements, we did not get the confirmation fax from NCL until the next day. (We were waiting in our TA's office and decided after 20 minutes not to wait any longer.) Previously when we cruised Celebrity, our TA gave the info to the Celebrity representative, fax of the confirmation came immediately after we spoke with them. What could possibly take that long, when the NCL rep should have been inputting the info in the computer as we gave it. This really started our apprehension about NCL.

Our cruise was wonderful, but if we cannot trust the customer service people, why would we cruise with them again?

sunshine, you are a fine human being. I'll buy you a drink in the observatory lounge for your thoughtfulness.

Thanks, is that the lounge where the latitudes members get a discount on drinks? If so, I'll return the favour.:) I like to be thoughtful but I'm afraid I am also cheap.:o :D

As for the booze - why should people be able to bring their own booze onboard? You don't take your own liquor to a restaurant, do you?

It's not at all unusual to bring wine to a land based restaurant. In fact, in some cases, it's the only way you can have wine with your dinner. Of course, one should probably expect some modest corkage fee. Don't see why it can't be the same on a cruise.

Anyway.... I've cruised NCL once. My only cruise to date, so it's a bit hard for me to know what "should" be right or done better.

I do have one general comment on booking cruises, and it really applies to the industry as a whole, and not just NCL. The whole process seems so antiquated. I don't need to use an actual travel agent for any of my other personal travels. I just got back from a vacation in Miami. Booked air, hotel, and rental car on-line. Didn't need to coordinate it through a single person, and I certainly didn't need to show any papers or tickets or anything like that to check in for my flight, pick up my rental car, or check into the hotel.

Perhaps I have it wrong but isn't the Promenade deck used for life boat drills. If so, this would not allow room for loungers with all the folks out on the deck and would create too much work to remove. The idea of park-like benches attached against the wall would be better. If fixed to the deck, they could not be dragged into walking spaces.

I would also ask that handicapped cabins be located near the elevators. It is a killer to push a wheelchair past the room steward's carts several times a day. The Jewel has them too far aft.

My biggest complaint overall with NCL is their lack of uniformity. Is there a corkage fee? If so, how much? There shouldn't be a different answer depending on who you ask. Can I call for an upsell? If yes, who do I call? There should be one answer to these questions. UNIFORMITY!!!

Second, I agree about the web site. It's 2005. I should be able to handle every transaction online and through their web site. People shouldn't have to wait on hold for answers to basic things. It should be in writing on the web site and easy to find.

Third, I'd like there to be a better loyalty program. NCL's program is the absolute worst! We're Diamond members with RCCL and we're treated so so so well on their ships. They aren't my favorite line for various reasons but they do know how to treat repeat cruisers. On our last member cruise on RCCL we got a free beach shore excursion, access to the concierge lounge with free drinks and appetizers before dinner every night, a logo gift every single day, and priority wait listing for sold out excursions..to name only a few of the benefits. NCL needs to step up and realize that new ships every year won't keep people coming back over and over and over again. They need something else.

As for the booze - why should people be able to bring their own booze onboard? You don't take your own liquor to a restaurant, do you?

Just for discussion purposes--and not that it would matter to me--let me point out that the ship is a hotel as well as a restaurant, and I've never seen a hotel where you couldn't bring liquor to your room.

Just for discussion purposes--and not that it would matter to me--let me point out that the ship is a hotel as well as a restaurant, and I've never seen a hotel where you couldn't bring liquor to your room.
Just for the sake of argument...you don't see hotels where you can't bring liquor to your room because they don't have a policy against it or a way to check for it. If there was a policy against it, people might not choose that hotel. Some cruise lines have a policy against bringing your own alcohol to your room. I have no preference either way but the difference is one has a policy and the other doesn't. Some hotels allow dogs. Others don't. If I was adament on bringing my pet with me on vacation, I'd have to choose a hotel that allowed dogs. Again, just adding another view point. Not advocating or saying anything against the policy.

WHILE MY SON LOVES THE KIDS CLUB, IF YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE FREE T-SHIRTS OR EVEN SELL KID CLUB SHIRTS HAVE SIZES THAT FIT ALL THE KIDS.:confused: ON OUR LAST CRUISE I GOT THE BACKPACK FOR MY 10YR OLD SON.

THEY ONLY HAD KID SIZES.:eek: MY SON WEARS MENS MED. EVEN THE POP BAND DIDN'T FIT 1/2 THE KIDS IN THE 10-12 GROUP. THEY ALL HAD TO WEAR IT ON CRAFT NECKLACE THEY MADE TO HOLD IT. WHEN WILL THE CRUISE LINE REALIZE AMERICAN CHILDREN ARE LARGER(OVER WEIGHT) THAN EUROPE KIDS. THE LEADERS ON THE CRUISES ARE GREAT. BUT HEARD ALOT OF COMPLAINTS FROM PARENTS WHO KIDS COULDN'T WEAR THE T-SHIRTS.

A ship is not a hotel..........it is a confined city-like floating resort. People are not free to "do as they please". There have to be a lot of rules that are unique. They have to have policies that are unique.

Apples to oranges.

I would like to see hot bouillon available like it was years ago, especially on the cooler climate cruises.

Free wifi in all the cabins would be great.

Also I'd like to see NCL replace their mattresses with Select Comfort Sleep Number mattresses like Radison hotels have. Then every guest could adjust their mattress to their comfort level. I think it would also reduce the weight of the ship, and save some fuel to have air mattresses instead of heavy stuffed ones.

No other like can beat the MBNA Credit Card Points program. It's the best one out there, and the easiest to use.

I could not even begin to think of a cruise ship as a "hotel" or a restaurant.

To me, there is no way to compare being out in the middle of the ocean

on a cruise line with being on land in an impersonal hotel.

But, that may be the way some see it.

Personally, it is as different as can be - and I prefer all of the services and amenities aboard a ship far more than those given by any hotel which we have stayed in - anywhere.

I would agree with those who state that the web site needs a huge overhaul, and that things within customer service could be better coordinated.

Hopefully, some of these changes are near. I have had no problem dealing with customer service, but obviously, it is a huge problem for many.

A couple of website suggestions:-

It would be nice to be able to see ALL available cabins in each category, not just a maximum of 6. Perhaps this could be linked to the idea of all amenities listed for each cabin?

It would also be nice to know the maximum number of people a particular category takes - I hate clicking on a category only to get a strange error message - even a message saying something like "Sorry, this cabin only sleeps a max of 2 people" would be an improvement.

Perhaps I have it wrong but isn't the Promenade deck used for life boat drills. If so, this would not allow room for loungers with all the folks out on the deck and would create too much work to remove. The idea of park-like benches attached against the wall would be better. If fixed to the deck, they could not be dragged into walking spaces.

I would also ask that handicapped cabins be located near the elevators. It is a killer to push a wheelchair past the room steward's carts several times a day. The Jewel has them too far aft.

EileenN: I love your idea of park-like benches!

I would like to see hot bouillon available like it was years ago, especially on the cooler climate cruises.

Free wifi in all the cabins would be great.

Also I'd like to see NCL replace their mattresses with Select Comfort Sleep Number mattresses like Radison hotels have. Then every guest could adjust their mattress to their comfort level. I think it would also reduce the weight of the ship, and save some fuel to have air mattresses instead of heavy stuffed ones.

No other like can beat the MBNA Credit Card Points program. It's the best one out there, and the easiest to use.

Sleep number matresses! What a fantastic idea! I love this thread - so many great ideas!

I could not even begin to think of a cruise ship as a "hotel" or a restaurant.

To me, there is no way to compare being out in the middle of the ocean

on a cruise line with being on land in an impersonal hotel.

I think it can be fairly similair to a nice, full service resort hotel.

I think it can be fairly similair to a nice, full service resort hotel.

IMHO, not quite the same.

We have done resort hotels in California, Nevada, Arizona, Oregon Coast......None compared to our overall experience on the ship.

Maybe it has something to do with the water! ;)

Good thread. Many good suggestions already that I won't repeat, but here are mine.

1. New 7 day Dawn itinerary from NYC, Drop PC or Miami for Key West.

2. Resume bus service from PA to NYC pier.

3. Improvements to GSC. It needs a larger beach. It is too small for a ship of the Dawn's size.

I would like to see a change in the menus for the Specialty Rest.

I would like to see a change in the shows every couple of months.

We've seen the same show now 3 times with some little change.:eek:

Other than that...I'm a happy camper! Make that cruiser! :D

Oh! Better odds at the slots!!!! I know...dream on. :o

How about ships that sail from a city within an 8 hour drive of my house? Oh wait, I live in Utah in the middle of the Rocky Mountains. Scratch that suggestion:D .

I second the notion of being able to see all available cabins for a particular category. Also, how about a wider variety of soft drinks available on board ship? I don't think they had anything that was both diet and caffeine free available.

How about ships that sail from a city within an 8 hour drive of my house? Oh wait, I live in Utah in the middle of the Rocky Mountains. Scratch that suggestion:D .

I second the notion of being able to see all available cabins for a particular category. Also, how about a wider variety of soft drinks available on board ship? I don't think they had anything that was both diet and caffeine free available.

We drive from Western Montana to Seattle Pier 66 in about seven hours.

How many hours are you talking about? - You could be within driving distance..;)

I would love to see more diversity in the options for sailing out of Seattle - Something like what is happening with some of the repositioning cruises right now. Shorter cruises, longer cruises, whatever. Just give us more choice on the West Coast, please.

We actually could drive to either San Francisco, LA, or Seattle, but it would be more like 12-16 hours. It would be nice to see more west-coast cruises -- if someone can just figure out how to move the Caribbean a little further west.... We have considered a Mexican Riviera cruise for that very reason. I've also thought some of the west-coast repositioning cruises look interesting, but the timing is just so limited that it makes it hard to work those into our vacation schedule.

When we went to Alaska, we flew to Seattle. I was able to find airfare cheap enough that it didn't make sense to spend the extra time driving.

Archived