Is it worth bringing my fan?

Karysa

We have had both fans and extension cords confiscated before getting on RCL Cruises from the US. The fan was all metal, and easily seen on the x-ray machine from one cruise, and the extension cord (actually a power strip) was found while they searched my carry-on because it had a package of regular batteries the x-ray machine saw.

Either way, they are both considered prohibited.

That said, if you have a smaller, plastic fan, then it probably won't be a problem, unless they see it, for some reason. As for extension cords, if you think you need one, you will need to decide if it is for the length, or for more plugs. Other posts have discussed power strips with very short cords that are available online. Many have USB power ports. They are usually good, if that will satisfy your needs.

Jim

We have had both fans and extension cords confiscated before getting on RCL Cruises from the US. The fan was all metal, and easily seen on the x-ray machine from one cruise, and the extension cord (actually a power strip) was found while they searched my carry-on because it had a package of regular batteries the x-ray machine saw.

That said, if you have a smaller, plastic fan, then it probably won't be a problem, unless they see it, for some reason. As for extension cords, if you think you need one, you will need to decide if it is for the length, or for more plugs. Other posts have discussed power strips with very short cords that are available online. Many have USB power ports. They are usually good, if that will satisfy your needs.

Jim

Thank you. Mine was plastic and so is my new one. I don't get why it's such a big deal. My girls use there straighteners for what seems like 8 hrs in a row to.:D

We took 2 battery powered fans in our carry ons in December on Allure.

No problems getting them on at all.

I may look in to this so I can just carry them on. Honestly, I just don't want my luggage delayed and the hassle of going to the naughty room and remembering to pick it up post cruise. Thanks:)

I have a small desktop fan (usb powered) that has gone with me on the last several cruises (I had it in my carryon). Cost me all of about $8 at Target. Desperately need the air-movement so if they confiscate, then I will have to appeal. I don't really want to have to make a big deal out of pre-arranging with special needs just because I have personal summers. :)

I have a small desktop fan (usb powered) that has gone with me on the last several cruises (I had it in my carryon). Cost me all of about $8 at Target. Desperately need the air-movement so if they confiscate, then I will have to appeal. I don't really want to have to make a big deal out of pre-arranging with special needs just because I have personal summers. :)

Maybe you just need to bring a doctors note.:D

I'm on Oasis right now and was on Navigator for 8 days in December with this fan (clickable link).

The whole thing is metal, and I don't bother coiling up the cord or anything, so you know they saw it on the x-ray.

I like it for bathing suits and hand-washed clothing, to get it to dry (nothing wants to dry in the Caribbean!) because I'm typically in an inside room -- no balcony for a breeze.

It's not on the prohibited list and the cord is in great shape, so I'd raise heck if they tried to confiscate it -- what would be their rationale???? A curling/straightening iron is a significant fire risk -- a fan, not so much! :rolleyes:

I just had 2 fans on Majesty and no one said boo. Both are plastic. 1 is battery hand held and the other one is usb/electric! No on said boo about the small electric humidfier I brought as well. All got through the carry on scanner! Nor did they check the 2 bottles of wine in Miami.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Jim

Where do you see that a fan is prohibited? Is it a Europe thing? I have taken a fan on every trip I've been on and it has never been confiscated, but a power strip was.

On Royal Caribbean? Ever out of Europe? Not sure if it's a Europe thing.:)

The last time there were 9 of us and the luggage came and then we waited for mine and waited and finally I was told that it was in the nasty room. It was a hassle. I don't want to bring it all the way to Italy if it's going to have to stay in the naughty room all week like the last time on the VOS out of Venice.

I've never cruised in Europe, but I have taken one every time I've cruised with Royal, 10 or 11 times now. Here is their FAQ from their website, and fans are not on it, unless they consider it some sort of fire hazard:

Onboard Policies

Q: What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A: Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned..

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Aerial Drones

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.

HAM Radios

Electrical Extension Cords

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)