Arikok National Park - how to get there...and back!

vacation_planner

We will be in Aruba in March and all I'd like to do is hike around Arikok National Park for the day. I am trying to figure out the best way to get there and especially back! If we take a taxi, can we get a cab back? I am worried about being stuck in the park with no way to get back to the ship. I emailed the park to find out if they would be able to get a taxi for us but I got a "form response" back that didn't really help!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

The park is a huge area, really best seen by driving through and doing some short hikes to overlooks. There is no good place to be picked up or dropped off in the wilderness. We rent a car, it is easy driving and let's us go at our own pace. The other option would to negotiate a half day rate with one of the taxis to really do the park well.

During park's operating hours, the visitor's center is staffed. There has to be someone there to accept your entrance fee. I would be shocked if they were unwilling to call a taxi for you.

Have the taxi take you to the visitor center and ask the driver to wait while you run inside to verify that they will indeed call a taxi for you to return the the ship.

For hiking the park wear sturdy boots the ground is hard and loaded with rocks and coral. Also carry plenty of water, slather on the sunscreen (bring extra to reapply, wear a hat to protect your scalp, face and ears from the sun.

During park's operating hours, the visitor's center is staffed. There has to be someone there to accept your entrance fee. I would be shocked if they were unwilling to call a taxi for you.

Have the taxi take you to the visitor center and ask the driver to wait while you run inside to verify that they will indeed call a taxi for you to return the the ship.

Good idea! I went hiking in this park many years ago on a Princess cruise. They actually had a trip through the ship so transportation was arranged. I really enjoyed it and wanted to go back!!

• 10 months later...
We will be in Aruba in March and all I'd like to do is hike around Arikok National Park for the day. I am trying to figure out the best way to get there and especially back! If we take a taxi, can we get a cab back? I am worried about being stuck in the park with no way to get back to the ship. I emailed the park to find out if they would be able to get a taxi for us but I got a "form response" back that didn't really help!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Would love to hear how you handled the transportation to Arikok and back, as well as comments on your hiking in the park. I am planning to do the same thing in February. On our cruise, Aruba is an overnight stop, so on the first day there I will have lots of time. I'm not overly interested in booking one of the other tours as I want to take my time hiking in Arikok and seeing the things I want to see. What did you like at the park, and what did you not like?