Life on Liberty 2/21-2/28: Mo'Bay, GC, Cozumel

Now I'm confused and we leave Sunday!!!:confused:

Did you really dock in Montego Bay or was it Falmouth?? Because our itinerary says Falmouth??

If it really was Montego Bay, that will definitely change our plans!!

No, no, don't change any plans. What I meant was, most of the itineraries DO go to Falmouth but for some reason on our dates, the port of call was Montego Bay. If your itinerary says Falmouth, that is where you will dock.

I will be watching for your experiences/thoughts with MO bay. My first trip to Jamaica was on Freedom at Ocho Rios. I had a good time. Sometime around then it seemed like less cruises had trips to Mo Bay so I have no personal experience and then when Fallmouth was built Ocho Rios went away. I made another trip on Freedom in 15 and went there. I didn't go outside the port area. I look forward to heading what you did in Mo Bay.

I've already posted about Jamaica--we stayed on the ship. :( It was beautiful though and I'm kind of sad we didn't get off which is why I'd like to do this itinerary again. We thought we would have two resort days, but since we missed GC, that didn't happen.

Edited by Beachiekeen

Your sunset pic is absolutely breathtaking!

I suggest you take the other itinerary though and visit Roatan and Belize, definitely our favorite, way better than Jamaica and Cayman. Some don't care for Belize, but if you do Goff's Caye, your very own tropical island, you may like it if you snorkel. But love love love Roatan and West Bay Beach.

Thank you, I really love it! :) Yeah we have looked at that itinerary also. I just really want to see Grand Cayman. :( We do snorkel though--but we're kind of beginners, at least I am. How experienced do we need to be? But it IS nice leaving out of Galveston, I just wish RC had another ship since we've already done Liberty. Eventually we will have to branch out to Florida.

Edited by Beachiekeen

I noticed on one of your dailies you had the R bar mixology class circled. Did you end up doing this activity and if so did you enjoy it? Do you remember how much it was? I did a cocktail making class on another cruise and remember it being a great way to spend an afternoon.

We did mixology at the R-bar on Serenade last year, and it was $20 each (+18%). It involved demonstrations of 4 different cocktails, and you got about a 1/2 size drink of each. Then, you could pick your favorite of those that were demonstrated, or something different, if you prefer, for a full-sized drink at the end. So, the equivalent of about three full drinks. Fun and well worth the price. I would imagine the one on Liberty is similar.

Thank you, I really love it! :) Yeah we have looked at that itinerary also. I just really want to see Grand Cayman. :( We do snorkel though--but we're kind of beginners, at least I am. How experienced do we need to be? But it IS nice leaving out of Galveston, I just wish RC had another ship since we've already done Liberty. Eventually we will have to branch out to Florida.

the right equipment is more important than experience. I recommend getting a dry snorkel so you don't experience any water getting into your mouth or nose. A pretty good set is online at Costco for $69 and you get a mask and fins as well. Hubby and I are cert. divers but we pretty much just snorkel now. For my money, Roatan and Belize are way better snorkeling than Cayman unless you visit the other islands there like Cayman Brac, etc. 7 mile beach although lovely, doesn't have much in the way of coral and Eden Rock is pretty barren because of hurricane damage, there is good coral over in the lagoon by Sting Ray City, but it's really deep snorkeling so difficult to see stuff that is 15 ft below you unless you know how to dive snorkel...which I don't do well.

Edited by BecciBoo

Sunrise over Cozumel:

132_zpssuinyssj.jpg

We woke up at 7:00 hearing the ship docking and went down to the MDR at 7:30. We both just had granola this time because we wanted to be ready to leave as soon as we could to head to Nachi Cocum.

On the way back from breakfast, I went to the pool deck to get towels but they said they would have them at the gangway. I went to Deck 12 to snap some pictures. It's really pretty from up there.

134_zpsggvqiddy.jpg

We met the BFF at 8:30 and by 8:45 we were on our way off the ship.

There is a guy that helps you get a cab so you make your way to the taxi line to wait your turn. Also the prices are posted before you get there so you can look and see how much it will be. The sign said $17 and our cab guy quoted us $18 but whatever. Also we shared what was an 8 passenger van with another family (who got dropped off before us) so I think maybe we were supposed to share the cost but whatever--we were prepared to pay that much anyway and we did. Our cab driver was very nice and took us where we needed to go so it was worth it.

We got to Nachi about 9:30. They are there to greet you and take a picture with sombreros. Ours turned out cute but we didn't buy it and I don't know how much it was.

They check you in, you pay your balance and get wrist bands for the day.

I chose Nachi Cocum for one reason: NO WATER TOYS. When I am in my lounger looking at the ocean, I want to see the ocean and not rubber water trampolines. Some people might think this is nuts but not to me. Also no water toys will probably mean no kids and by golly I think I only saw two of them. No offense to parents, I am one myself but at this stage in my life, I want to see as few as possible on vacation. Also, Nachi states that it only allows 100 people per day and I think this is accurate.

So the staff gets you all settled in your loungers and asks what you want to drink right away. You have the same waiter for the entire day and ours was very nice. He would come around and say "Anything else?" and you'd tell him what you wanted.

Ahhh, now this is the life.

175_zps8y94kckp.jpg

I had a pina colada to start and it was just so so so I switched to Mai Tais and stayed with these the entire day, they were delicious.

179_zpsvrh6m1th.jpg

Our set up for the day. Another reason I chose Nachi is because I knew we would have shade.

176_zpsjs7wooeo.jpg

The boys got in the water:

184_zpsczfzfejf.jpg

I'll continue with pictures of the resort.

Edited by Beachiekeen

We did mixology at the R-bar on Serenade last year, and it was $20 each (+18%). It involved demonstrations of 4 different cocktails, and you got about a 1/2 size drink of each. Then, you could pick your favorite of those that were demonstrated, or something different, if you prefer, for a full-sized drink at the end. So, the equivalent of about three full drinks. Fun and well worth the price. I would imagine the one on Liberty is similar.

That does sound fun, thanks for explaining it. Maybe now I can talk hubby into it! :)

You chose well! Jose makes the best, and I mean best, Bloody Marys you will ever taste. I have tried many others but cannot beat his, not even the ship's are this good so try them, I have stayed with those the entire day they are so good. Also, the cerviche mixto, the best in the world! Your pics are makin me drool! 52 more days!!!!

Edited by BecciBoo

That's funny, we pretty much stay in the pool the entire day in front at the swim up bar or if its chilly in the jacuzzi....Nachi looks practically deserted! BTW the beach bar is fairly new, wasn't there the last time we were. Was it to the left of the pool looking towards it? You know they've been trying to sell Nachi for some time, why I am unaware, guess I'll have to ask Jose...but if they were to close it, we'd be devastated!

Edited by BecciBoo

That's funny, we pretty much stay in the pool the entire day in front at the swim up bar or if its chilly in the jacuzzi....Nachi looks practically deserted!

It wasn't crowded by any means but every palapa got taken I think. I took most of those pictures when we first got there and we were one of the first ones.

a long time ago, before it got so popular, we were there and I counted 7 people there, that's right just 7 people, and 4 of those were my group! That was a January cruise we took back in 2007. Ha and then I had to open my big mouth........

Edited by BecciBoo

We've looked at Nachi Cocum but we were scared it might get dull throughout the day. I like laying on the beach and relaxing but my husband needs something do to. Did you feel like it ever got too quiet there?

We've looked at Nachi Cocum but we were scared it might get dull throughout the day. I like laying on the beach and relaxing but my husband needs something do to. Did you feel like it ever got too quiet there?

The pool with the swim up bar gets a bit more active. Also, there is a mariachi group that plays near the bar on the beach.

The pool with the swim up bar gets a bit more active. Also, there is a mariachi group that plays near the bar on the beach.

On our visit, hardly anyone got in the pool and I didn't hear the mariachi group. I hope I didn't miss it. The hot tub was active and my hubby and BFF got in it, but it wasn't very hot so I never went in it.

Ha, your hubby sounds like mine. Once he found the bar and the tequila shots, he was fine! :) But seriously, he loved it and said he would go back. There was a DJ that played music but it was very quiet and in the background. He was wayyyyy down on the end of the beach. But it's not a party place--they even have a sign that says it's not meant to be a "spring break" atmosphere.

Thanks for the great review. Looks like you had a great time.

We are looking into doing a Liberty cruise out of Galveston so we can visit family in Texas on the way.

You and I have the same taste in drinks. My absolute favorite is the Strawberry lava flow. And when I can't get that, I'm always down for a Mai Tai.

We love Nachi Cocum too.