Seattle Inside R/T...Port or Starboard Side Cabin

G-Man

My wife and 2 10-year old girls are planning on taking the NCL STAR next August on a r/t from Seattle. Getting a Jr Suite and want to know the best side...port or starboard...to get the cabin on.

Also, was interested in what folks thougtht about the NCL Star and thes stops and if there was a better one recomended.

Thanks for your inputs.

G-Man

Since the Star doesn't cruise the Inside Passage regularly, choose a starboard cabin to see the main land while traveling north, or you could choose a port side cabin to see the main land while traveling south.

On either side, you'd see the same scenery. It's just a matter of deciding when to see land, going or coming.

I was on the Star this summer and it doesn't really matter which side you get your cabin on. The highlight of the cruise is Glacier Bay and the Captain turns the ship so that both sides get the same sites. We had a port side cabin and I enjoyed it.

This may help: (of course this is subject to change due to the way the ship docks)

Seattle: Starboard side faces the dock and you can watch them load/unload. Port faces out across the harbor.

Juneau: Once the ship docks (you will tender for the first couple of hours), we backed in to the dock and the port side faced away from town, while the starboard side faced the town.

Skagway: Port side was to the dock, starboard faced the harbor. (didn't really matter, the town is in front of the ship.)

Ketchikan: The port side faced the dock and the starboard side faced out. I enjoyed watching us pull in and dock and then watching the town from my balcony.

Victoria: Ship backs in. The port side was the dock side and we faced a Princess ship in port with us. The starboard side faced out.

Personally, we hated Victoria. Ketchikan was our favorite town, wish we had had more time there. Had a nice wildlife and glacier tour in Juneau.

Hope this helps.

If you are cruising Glacier Bay, get a port side if you wish to stay in your balcony during the day. You have no views going in (when all the commentary is) from the starboard side.

I disagree, Victoria is just excellent, but you can't do it from a cruise ship port stop, an overnight is needed, then plenty to see and do. It's a top area for orca viewing if of interest.

Archived