Shame on you..........ncl

Except that reducing the daily gratuities would be largely punishing the cabin steward, and the dining room waiters, etc. who did not create the situation. That doesn't seem right to me to punish hard-working people simply because he is annoyed with NCL.

If he truly wants to "punish" NCL, a better idea would be for him to cancel his booking entirely, take his business to some other cruiseline, and allow NCL to sell the cabin to someone who wants to be there.

I've never understand the first thing some folks suggest is to decrease the DSC as a way to punish NCL Corporate. If someone wants to punish Corporate, don't spend anything on the ship or cancel your cruise if you can, but to punish the crew for something you are upset about that Corporate did, not cool in my book.

OP, your kids will not get smoothies (they aren't even included in the $79/day package for adults) or virgin pina coladas,

If you have the UBP, you CAN get virgin drinks, fyi...that would actually save the cruise line money...

June 2006: Carnival Legend, New York-->Eastern Caribbean

March 2007: Carnival Conquest, Galveston-->Western Caribbean

March 2011: Carnival Valor, Miami-->Exotic Western Caribbean

August 2012: Carnival Freedom, Ft. Lauderdale-->Western Caribbean

April 2013: Carnival Valor, San Juan-->Southern Caribbean

August 2015: Norwegian Getaway, Miami-->Eastern Caribbean

March 2016: Norwegian Getaway, Miami-->Western Caribbean

June 2016: Norwegian Pearl, Seattle-->Alaska

If you have the UBP, you CAN get virgin drinks, fyi...that would actually save the cruise line money...

That would be a great point if we weren't talking about CHILDREN (who...for some weird reason...don't have the UBP).

I find it equally amazing when someone expects suite perks with a mini suite when the price is so obviously closer to that of a balcony than a full-fledged suite... To this thread. UBP is 10 times the price of the soda package yet someone expects fancy drinks such as virgin pina coladas for $5 to $7 a day compared with $79 for the UBP.

Basically, this is expecting smoothies for the cost of a soda.

Edited by DMH15

This will be our first exposure to NCL so I am now wondering how many mothers will think it is fine to buy their 17 year old daughters drinks on their UBP cards. I hear that some are saying they plan to get virgin drinks for their kids and then hard ones for themselves and wonder what kind of a lesson that teaches kids, but to admit to everyone on here that a mother plans to supply alcohol to their too young children because it is spring break must be a joke.

snarkey comments because some people made inappropriate comments about my kids. for the record call me an arse but leave my kids out of this, but enough about that. If I book a cruise and a representative from NCL says ultimate, explains ultimate and confirms ultimate then it should be ultimate. there are pictures that show the confirmation saying ultimate. I am not making this up. if it is not an ultimate package just call it what you call it on your website. just say kids soda package. it is that simple. no deception whatsoever if they said kids soda package. we all know what that is. we have all bought our fair share of them.

The point of all this is the sales person was misleading and well as the confirmation title. After reviewing my bill, the prices sounded a bit cheap. That triggered todays call. The prices at the time of purchase weren't that different from other cruise lines. so well done marketing department, you roped me in this year. I may have booked another cruise line or just rented a beach house for a week in FL. Why? if NCL is willing to to deceptive about a minor drink package what else are they being deceptive about.

So I am past the date for full refund and must go one an NCL cruise. Not impressed at all with how NCL does business. given the comments from other NCL faithful, NCL has been using the phrase ultimate package for years. We shall see how NCL operates their cruises. But if it is bad at the top, it usually flows down to the bottom.

I Just looked up the T&C I booked under last April, which included everybody in the cabin, which is, I assume, the same perks y'all booked under:

Ultimate Beverage Package: Guest must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the ultimate beverage package. Ultimate beverage option is only available for guests 25 and older on any sailing from 3/1 – 4/15. All 3-8 and/or underage guests who are 3 years of age or older will receive a soda package. Variety of spirits and cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer up to $10. Includes fountain soda and juice, Non-alcoholic beer is included. Ultimate beverage package option includes 15% gratuity on the package. A 20% discount will be given on bottles of wine (champagne and sparkling included) purchased on board, Applicable taxes, US and VAT may apply based on certain destinations. Does not apply to the Ice Bars and variety of spirits, cocktails, wines by the glass and bottled or draft beer over $10. Does not include room service, package sales ,bottled water, ship specific promotions or beer buckets, designated Super Premium brands (subject to change), bottled wine, mini bar purchases, fresh squeezed juices, Lavazza Coffee beverages, wine dispenser, energy drinks or vending machines.

And this is the soda package definition, which is the same as it has been since last March

ITEM #: UBPTAS

Give the gift of endless fountain soda throughout their cruise.

Includes: Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sierra Mist, Mt. Dew, Ginger Ale, Tonic water, Club Soda. The entire cruise must be purchased. Non-Refundable.

Prepaid @ $7.50 per person per day x Cruise Days plus 18% gratuity and beverage service charge.

Souvenir Thermal mug included in the purchase of the program

and just to add this: Their phone reps suck and often have wrong info

Edited by Starflyr3

To DMH15, Princess' Ultimate SODA and more package does include "fancy" virgin drinks such as a pina colada for $8.05 per day and this also includes the service charge. You said you wouldn't expect these to be provided because of the $7 - $8 charge. The only reason you wouldn't expect this on NCL is because most things do cost more on NCL. For example a beer on Princess was $5.50, same beer on NCL $6.50 (we had the UBP so didn't have to pay outright for it). Kon Tiki shore excursion in St. Thomas $49.95 on Princess, $75 NCL ,just a few examples. We still sail on NCL when we want to join others and then just bite the bullet but it's not usually our first choice.

Booked an April 3 cruise out of New Orleans. At the time of booking NCL agent told me kids would get ultimate soda package. Confirmation from NCL said "Ultimate Soda Beverage Package." In fact an NCL agent even said to me on the phone it included Virgin Pina Coladas. I looked on NCL website today and there is no ultimate soda beverage package. Called agent and asked her to explain what this package included and she said it included only fountain soda and watered down juice. This is really what they call the "kids soda package." I am very disappointed NCL would pull a "bait and switch" like this. That's just a dirty trick NCL, shame on you. This is my first time on NCL and perhaps my last. Carnival, Royal Caribbean, MSC, Princess, and even Disney have never pull dirty tricks like this.

The agent told you that the kids "would get ultimate soda package", was this the same agent who said that it included Virgin Pina Coladas?

When the agent told you that Virgin Pina Coladas were included, did you not ask how they could be included since Virgin Pina Coladas are NOT sodas and therefore would not be part of a soda package??

My confirmation sent to me from NCL says "ultimate soda beverage package" as per the per description of the agent. There is no "ultimate soda beverage package." In fact look at the website you sent me, there is no listing for "ultimate sode beverage package." Therefore "bait and switch"

OK...now I'm confused. Did the Rep say "ultimate soda package" like you said in the first quote, or did the Rep say "ultimate soda beverage package" like you said in the second quote?

It has to be frustrating when the NCL Reps are all wrong, the posters on Cruise Critic are all wrong, and you're the ONLY one who cans see the truth! Why is everyone not seeing the truth the way that you do??

FWIW...I think you need to take your case to ConsumerAffairs (dot) com and post it there. THAT would show them!!

The point of all this is the sales person was misleading and well as the confirmation title. After reviewing my bill, the prices sounded a bit cheap. That triggered todays call.

It makes sense that you would feel cheated given the circumstances.

But it isn't technically "bait and switch" because only the salesperson's "puffery" caused you to buy the exact product they were advertising. Salespeople are allowed to lie verbally if it is "puffery", so a car salesman saying a car is a "cream puff" and "must have been driven by a little old lady from Pasadena" is not bait and switch.

Here's a good article on what bait and switch actually is: https://consumerist.com/2007/04/11/what-is-the-bait-and-switch-and-when-is-it-illegal/

Now, if you had called and the rep said "Oh, you don't want the Ultimate Super Duper Beverage Package at $7.50 a day; it will give you cancer. You want the Ultimate Really Super Duper Beverage Package at $30 a day because it actually cures cancer" and she won't sell you the $7.50 package, then it's "bait and switch". The "bait" is the low priced product, the "switch" is that you can't actually buy the "bait". You get "switched" to the higher cost product.

So it wasn't "bait and switch", but it may have been a lie to induce you to buy. But it's not a lie that's actionable unless you can prove the agent actually said what you say she said (I believe you, by the way; I think the agent probably did tell you that because most of the time they are very nice, and willing to help you, but really don't know much about the "deal of the day".)

The agent told you that the kids "would get ultimate soda package", was this the same agent who said that it included Virgin Pina Coladas?

When the agent told you that Virgin Pina Coladas were included, did you not ask how they could be included since Virgin Pina Coladas are NOT sodas and therefore would not be part of a soda package??

OK...now I'm confused. Did the Rep say "ultimate soda package" like you said in the first quote, or did the Rep say "ultimate soda beverage package" like you said in the second quote?

It has to be frustrating when the NCL Reps are all wrong, the posters on Cruise Critic are all wrong, and you're the ONLY one who cans see the truth! Why is everyone not seeing the truth the way that you do??

FWIW...I think you need to take your case to ConsumerAffairs (dot) com and post it there. THAT would show them!!

Several people have mentioned that the soda package on RCI includes virgin cocktails. I don't know the OP's cruising history, but there's a good reason to ask that question if other cruise lines include them in their soda package.

That would be a great point if we weren't talking about CHILDREN (who...for some weird reason...don't have the UBP).

I just wanted to address misinformation for anyone reading this and also note that they are included in case the OP wanted to take multiple posters' advice and use the adults' UBP to order virgin drinks for the kids.