Stop at Le havre and Cherbourg, what to visit where?

mcrider

We are on Independence of the Seas in May and it stops at both of these ports. I want to see forsure the American D-Day beaches, Mont St. Michel. How would you recommend dividing up when to go where? I am leaning toward a Overlord bus tour as I don't want to be respondsible for coordinating a private van. This is what their tour covers: "Our Tour 9B visits Omaha beach, the American cemetery, Bayeux & Honfleur from Le Havre and Omaha beach, the American cemetery & Sainte Mere Eglise from Cherbourg."

I was thinking Omaha beach from Le Havre, then Mont St. Michel from Cherbourg? thanks for some direction.

tim

We are also looking at a similar itinerary for a big family vacation early June 2017, with an overnight at le Havre and a day in Cherbourg. I was thinking Rouen/Giverny, DDay beaches and Mont St Michel for the three port days. Still haven't looked at the logistics, etc as we have just about started planning this cruise, but I believe Cherbourg is closer to the US beaches. Honfleur and Bayeux are of course much closer to le Havre.

Am hoping John Bull and Hlitner/Hank will pitch in with suggestions, they are experts in this region.

BTW, Overlord is said to be extremely good, I'll probably book a van with them for our group. Last year my sister and I did a British Isles cruise with a stop at le Havre, we joined up with another couple and got a private guide, we saw the Bayeux tapestry and Omaha and other American beaches, also stopped for a little over an hour in Honfleur on the way back. Couldn't make it to St Mere Eglise, too far from le Havre, even this was a long day. Will be watching this thread for more posts, do revert if you have any further information, thanks:)

Edited by prish