Public parking

sara mom

Hi all! We are planning to rent a car for the few days we are in San Juan pre-cruise. We are staying in the Isla Verde area but want to visit OSJ at last one day, mainly for the forts. Are there public parking lots in the vicinity of each that we will be able to use? I faintly remember that San Cristobel had a small lot, but that may changed. We would most likely drive to each fort as my DF is mobility challenged.

Thanks.

There is a small parking lot at the foot of San Cristobal towards the bay. If I'm not mistaken, first hour is free, then $2 per hour. El Morro has no on-site parking but you can try the lot at Ballajá (take a left one block before the entrance to El Morro (second street, since there are two streets almost side by side). This is a small lot that fills up quickly so the earlier you get there the better. I don't remember the parking fee there. You can also park downhill near the bay and walk your way back to the forts at either Paseo Portuario, Doña Fela (these two are side by side) or at La Puntilla (cheapest of the three, but difficult to find a space during working hours on weekdays since a lot of workers in Old San Juan park there).