Questions about Kids and HAL

PAcruise16

First off, thank you all for the reams of helpful information I've found here. I am considering taking the plunge and booking our first family cruise for this June in Alaska on the Nieuw Amsterdam. DH and I have cruised once before, but have never tried HAL and never cruised with the kiddos (ages 10 and 12).

A few questions have come up, and I've tried to search but am not sure on the most current/accurate answers. Also, I am a rabid over-planner, so thanks for your patience with the minutiae below :)

- When dining with kids in the MDR or specialty restaurants, it looks like they can order from the "adult" menu...but, will they receive a half portion or can they get a full portion if they wish?

- We're planning to include Pinnacle, Canaletto and Tamarind in our dining...Do kids pay the same upcharge as adults? Are there any age requirements for specialty dining?

- Putting aside anything above-and-beyond we might want to give, it looks like the current daily Hotel Service Charge for a suite is $13.50. Does that apply to both adults and children ($54/day)? Or, do children pay a reduced rate?

- I'm thinking we'll go a la carte for drinks as I'm not expecting the grown-ups will have a lot of adult beverages on this trip, but is that a mistake? We're not soda people, so no concern there, but I can see DH and I having a cocktail or two around dinner a few of the nights.

- Any special "kid" tips or suggestions...Like an onboard activity, show or treat they won't want to miss? In terms of personality, they're more small adults vs. big kids - so are excited about the idea of shows, dining, etc. But, I also want them to cut loose and enjoy themselves.

First off, thank you all for the reams of helpful information I've found here. I am considering taking the plunge and booking our first family cruise for this June in Alaska on the Nieuw Amsterdam. DH and I have cruised once before, but have never tried HAL and never cruised with the kiddos (ages 10 and 12).

A few questions have come up, and I've tried to search but am not sure on the most current/accurate answers. Also, I am a rabid over-planner, so thanks for your patience with the minutiae below :)

- When dining with kids in the MDR or specialty restaurants, it looks like they can order from the "adult" menu...but, will they receive a half portion or can they get a full portion if they wish?

- We're planning to include Pinnacle, Canaletto and Tamarind in our dining...Do kids pay the same upcharge as adults? Are there any age requirements for specialty dining?

- Putting aside anything above-and-beyond we might want to give, it looks like the current daily Hotel Service Charge for a suite is $13.50. Does that apply to both adults and children ($54/day)? Or, do children pay a reduced rate?

- I'm thinking we'll go a la carte for drinks as I'm not expecting the grown-ups will have a lot of adult beverages on this trip, but is that a mistake? We're not soda people, so no concern there, but I can see DH and I having a cocktail or two around dinner a few of the nights.

- Any special "kid" tips or suggestions...Like an onboard activity, show or treat they won't want to miss? In terms of personality, they're more small adults vs. big kids - so are excited about the idea of shows, dining, etc. But, I also want them to cut loose and enjoy themselves.

Full portions

No age restrictions on Specialty restaurants

Same HSC charge for all

Here are kids activities for kids in Alaska on our last cruise:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AL-15-Kids-8-12.pdf

Edited by Crew News

Welcome to cruise Critic!

We took 3 grandkids, then around 11, 13 and 15, on Volendam to Alaska out of Vancouver... so first they loved crossing the border into Canada! So exciting for them and we really didn't see the magnitude of this event before hand. So somewhere along your cruise you will be able to set foot in Canada and that may be quite exciting for the children.

They loved the ambiance of the MDR as well as the variety of the buffet and the Terrace Grill for French fries!

We had 2 rooms: myself with the 2 girls and then Granadpa and the one boy. The girls and I felt very pampered by room service for a couple of breakfasts in bed! That was a treat beyond their imagination.

The youngest ordered off the children's menu the first night in the MDR; looked at it again the second night and asked if she could order off the main menu - of course! I tried to make some suggestions that she might enjoy, lasagna maybe.... then, she announced, "I think I'll have the ling cod!" I have no idea why she picked that but she enjoyed making her own decision as much as anything. No, they didn't eat everything on their plates but they tried new things and really enjoyed that. My sense is that the food is already made so I don't worry about "wasting" it. I let them try things and pass on it if they didn't like it; I felt that it was all a learning experience.

The children's menu doesn't change, it has the basics: spaghetti and meatballs, chicken nuggets, mac and cheese.... a few others.

They enjoyed the shows every night! They liked sitting towards the front.

The younger girl and boy participated in some of the Club HAL activities and enjoyed them; there were few children on board so they each received lots of attention. At their ages they could some and go from Club HAL as they pleased.

Mostly they loved swimming! That was the best! They enjoyed Afternoon Tea, but once was enough, too many other things to experience. There were a few movies too that they went too, at least one with new friends they'd made. a lot time they just loved watching the scenery and looking for wildlife, whales, seals, birds....

Shore excursions were low key: In Ketchikan we walked to the totem center and the raptor center(?) whatever the bird place was called, sorry I forget.

In Juneau we planned to take the (local) bus to Mendenhall Glacier National Park Visitors Center but one of us was sick (a cold) and the weather was very poor so the rest of us trooped across the street to the huge shop and they enjoyed poking around looking at the unusual items. The tram would have been great but not that day.

Surprisingly, in Skagway they really liked the Klondike Museum, also National Parks Service, and they were so impressed with the display about seeing the amount of provisions that the gold seekers had to bring with them.

A couple of rules we had from the start with the kids: Absolutely no climbing on the railings!! Not for a better view, not to get a picture, not to tease your sister.... not for anything!! And no going into anyone's stateroom without one of us (grandma or grandpa), no exceptions. We explained that it's like going into a stranger's house, etc.

I trust you will all have a fabulous time. Enjoy the planning, m--

We have cruised twice with the kids on Hal and they loved it both times. We went to Alaska on the Westerdam in 2014. The kids were 10 and 6. Mine love the kids club, but loved swimming too.

In Juneau we did the whale watching, which was awesome and boring all at the same time. We saw some really cool whales, but it is a lot of waiting in between.

In Sitka we did the fortress of the bears and a boat ride, which was awesome.

Our best though was in Ketchikan we did the Bering fisherman tour. They were fantastic.

What's nice about dining in the MDR is that they can order off of both, or either menu. It's a great way for them to try new foods. They will also order two dinners in case they didn't like one. For instance my daughter wanted to try the rainbow trout, but she also got the spagetti and meatballs off of the kids menu. She didn't like the trout, so I was glad she had the other.

We just sailed the Nieuw amsterdam two weeks ago to the Caribbean. It was a great ship and the kids loved it.

Here is the kids menu that I scanned on our cruise last November:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/HAL-Kids-Menu.pdf