Caye Caulker Must Do?

cmsgtwhite

Wife & I planning to catch water taxi to Caye Caulker in 12 days and hope to be able to stay there for 4-5 hours (depending on tender timing). Other than just relaxing on the beach, do any of you have any must dos while we are there...best restaurant?, shops to visit?, etc,.. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Wife & I planning to catch water taxi to Caye Caulker in 12 days and hope to be able to stay there for 4-5 hours (depending on tender timing). Other than just relaxing on the beach, do any of you have any must dos while we are there...best restaurant?, shops to visit?, etc,.. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Must do is the Split. When you get off the water taxi, take a right and walk down to the split. There is a bar there and pretty cool place. It is a very laid back island. Another cool little place is something called Coconuts Reef... good drinks and food - very nice prices. Lots of little shops here and there. A lot of side streets to check out. Have fun!

Must do is the Split. When you get off the water taxi, take a right and walk down to the split. There is a bar there and pretty cool place. It is a very laid back island. Another cool little place is something called Coconuts Reef... good drinks and food - very nice prices. Lots of little shops here and there. A lot of side streets to check out. Have fun!

Thanks BrotherCraig, exactly the type of info I was looking for...You have been very helpful in the planning of our cruise... ONLY 9 more days!!! :)

More specifically you'll want to grab bar stools at the Lazy Lizard at the Split. Can't think of a more relaxing day we've had than just staring out over the water while enjoying cheap beers and great apps. The girls loved the Lizard Juice! :p

Just grab a cart taxi back to the ferry rather than walking back.

Reading through this and wondering if there's anything at Caye Caulker for us? We were thinking of visiting but neither my wife nor I drink and all the suggestions here are to stop at bars and have drinks lol. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Reading through this and wondering if there's anything at Caye Caulker for us? We were thinking of visiting but neither my wife nor I drink and all the suggestions here are to stop at bars and have drinks lol. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

It is a very laid back little island. Places to eat, drink, and do a little shopping. Everything is cheap and the views are great. Great snorkeling there as well. Great place to just explore.

Thanks!

If you snorkel this is absolutely one of the best places in the world to do it.

We just got back from our NCL cruise and our visit to Caye Caulker this past week. Thanks to BrotherCraig and Blue_Water we immediately caught the golf cart taxi to the Split. This Place was amazing. The water/atmosphere, drinks & food was outstanding! The bar “The Wet Lizard” is a really cool place. We walked back to water taxi so we also got to see a little more of the island. I think most everybody would really enjoy exploring this very unique Island. OK, now the BAD: we decided to take the water taxi both ways thinking that this would allow us to maximize our time but due to the taxi schedule and our ship’s schedule it just did not work out that way. We barely missed the 9:00 so we had to wait for the 10:00 departure to Caulker and on the way there is was PACKED. I barely had any room to sit which made a very long uncomfortable ride. We got off the taxi at Caulker around 11:20 and the last return time we could take was at 3:30 with was cutting it really close to our 5:00 last tender time. So including the taxi ride, loading and unloading we ended up on having only about 3 hours to enjoy the island, plus worrying about something possibly going wrong on the final taxi back to Belize did take away from some of the fun. Bottom-line, Caulker is a wonderful once in a lifetime experience but in my opinion it is a tough “Ship Excursion” due to the distance it is from Belize City. If I ever get to go to this place again and I HOPE we do we will either book with someone like Coral Breeze (for peace of mind) or book airline flights out of Belize both ways to save time. (Or better yet just plan to stay there several days!) All of the recommendations on this site were spot on and I hope I am able to help some of you by my post as well.

great to hear you liked it. We take the water taxi over and fly back. We actually stayed there for a week once (water taxi there and flew back as well) and really enjoyed it. Water Taxi is always crowded on the way over there -- people going to work in CC or San Pedro.

If you snorkel this is absolutely one of the best places in the world to do it.

Worth taking our snorkel gear and going from land? We are not doing a boat snorkel, but will be hanging out in the water a bit. Will take our gear with us if it's worth it from shore. Any special area?

Worth taking our snorkel gear and going from land? We are not doing a boat snorkel, but will be hanging out in the water a bit. Will take our gear with us if it's worth it from shore. Any special area?

Not at Caye Caulker. The reef is a little more than a 1/2 mile from the shore there. A lot of sea grass right when you enter the water a CC. Your best bet is getting in at the Split but watch for the boats. You should be able to see some life there and it is a great place to spend the day.

Edited by BrotherCraig

We are doing an excursion that after snorkeling they drop you off here for a while. Do you know if any the shops there sell local rum? Or if it would be available near the port? Thanks.

Yes, yes they do. Very good rum. The One Barrel Rum is excellent. I believe I paid $11 USD for a 750ml bottle. They even have cheaper. It will be cheaper at Caye Caulker or Belize City than it would be at port.

Yes, yes they do. Very good rum. The One Barrel Rum is excellent. I believe I paid $11 USD for a 750ml bottle. They even have cheaper. It will be cheaper at Caye Caulker or Belize City than it would be at port.

Thank you! I have vowed to not schlep bottles home any more since I can get Don Q and Appleton here but this rum sounds interesting and unavailable here.