Verizon Wireless

cherub44

Has anyone tried using a Verizon cell phone in any of the ports? Specifically western itineraries? How well did it work? Would we be better off just getting a calling card at the pier? I'm specifically curious about GC, Belize, Costa Maya, and Cozumel.

Thanks!

We did that itinerary last Nov. and I would get a calling card. The model of the phone may make a difference, and they may have improved reception in the last year. I did just learn that a fully charged battery helps reception,too.

My husband works at Verizon Wireless and said at most of the island you can get a signal. When we were on the eastern Carribean last year he got coverage on Tortota and St. Thomas I cannot remember the others but we called home on these islands which is why I remember. We also did get a small signal in the middle of the ocean it was probably long enough to make a short call. (DH is a little obsessed with his phone and equally obsesssed about when and where we got coverage! :cool: )

Verizon Wireless uses CDMA technology (along with Sprint). Few places outside north america use this. I know Mexico does, for instance. Verizon charged me 1.30ish to use my phone per minute. You must call Verizon and ask for international dialing AND roaming to be added to your account. Otherwise, the phone won't work. In most cases GSM technology (Cingular, T-Mobile) works in almost every country and is usually cheaper. For people with Cingular, call them and ask for internation roaming and dialing, with T-Mobile ask for WorldClass. Have fun!

Cingular, Verizon, and T-Mobile have free roaming on Puerto Rico and the U.S Virgin Islands. So they should work fine and free there! I'm not certain on Sprint. Nextel will be dead anywhere outside Canada, USA, and small parts of Mexico.

Cingular, Verizon, and T-Mobile have free roaming on Puerto Rico and the U.S Virgin Islands. So they should work fine and free there! I'm not certain on Sprint. Nextel will be dead anywhere outside Canada, USA, and small parts of Mexico.

So I am assuming a Blackberry with T-Mobile's service would work in these locations as well?

I used my verizon in cozumel. no problem .........sat on paradise beach and talked to the kids. I have used it in Cancun, cabo, mazatlan, P.V. also. Of course, key west. Belize, no it didnt. Also while cruising north along the east coast I had alot of service.

Just call verizon and let them know you need international calling. I think it cost me about $1.20 a min.

So I am assuming a Blackberry with T-Mobile's service would work in these locations as well?

Yes, the blackberry has international bands for roaming. Call up T-Mobile and ask for WorldClass roaming to be added to your account (don't do it online...it usually doesn't work). It should work almost everywhere RCI goes.

Yes, CDMA (Verizon, Sprint) work well in Mexico, but won't work in most other countries as they use GSM (most Cingular customers use GSM now, T-Mobile).

Verizon Wireless uses CDMA technology (along with Sprint). Few places outside north america use this. I know Mexico does, for instance. Verizon charged me 1.30ish to use my phone per minute. You must call Verizon and ask for international dialing AND roaming to be added to your account. Otherwise, the phone won't work. In most cases GSM technology (Cingular, T-Mobile) works in almost every country and is usually cheaper. For people with Cingular, call them and ask for internation roaming and dialing, with T-Mobile ask for WorldClass. Have fun!

I have a Verizon Wireless plan. Just talked to a rep at VW, with my plan, charges in PR are the same as the mainland, no roaming. Was told that there are roaming charges in the USVI.

I have Verizon Wireless also - one of the Nationwide plans. Does anyone know if I add International Dialing and Roaming if there is any extra charge to just have this feature? Or is one only charged for any usage? As I would only use it maybe once or twice a year, I wouldn't want to pay every month for something I'd rarely use. But I'd like the capability to use it.

Thanks!

I have Verizon Wireless also - one of the Nationwide plans. Does anyone know if I add International Dialing and Roaming if there is any extra charge to just have this feature? Or is one only charged for any usage? As I would only use it maybe once or twice a year, I wouldn't want to pay every month for something I'd rarely use. But I'd like the capability to use it.

Thanks!

DO NOT add International Dialing usless you want to call from the US to a foreign country.

DO add International Roaming, and you will have service in may Caribbean Ports. There is no additional charge to add International Roaming. VZW will allow you to add that if your account has been up to date for the previous 6 months. The cost for International Roaming is .69 / min PLUS the fees that could be charged in the Country you are visiting.

This is from the verizonwireless.com Website :

To what countries can I take my Verizon Wireless phone and be able to make and receive calls?

You can use your Verizon Wireless tri-mode or all-digital phone, or Global Phone in ‘CDMA mode’, to make and receive calls in parts of Bermuda, Canada, China, Dominican Republic, Guam, Israel, Jamaica, Mexico, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Saipan, South Korea, US Virgin Islands, Taiwan and Venezuela. Your Calling Plan will determine where roaming rates apply. For more information, including a list of cities where service is available, visit VerizonWireless.com/international and select “Roam with your existing Verizon Wireless (CDMA) handset”.

Radio

;) ;)

Thanks Radio!

International roaming makes sense for my needs (few and far between) - I used that to make calls from Toronto to home at .69/minute, but Toronto is one of the areas covered in our basic plan - for Bermuda and other places, I'd want to have the ability to use my phone just in case. I'll check it out.

By the way, your dispatches from your recent 5-day Bermuda run were terrific. We're going on that trip on 13Nov and your information was very helpful. We'd done a Bermuda cruise a few years back and the Dockyard was one of the 3 spots that ship (the old Pacific Princess in '01), but haven't been on a RCCL ship and your info is great to have.

Thanks!

My son has inadvertently used it in St Thomas *we were at sea and that was the tower on the bill) and then deliberately in China - worked and the roaming fees weren't terrible but there were fees. Also used in Puerto Rico with no fees added. We have Verizon Wireless.

My son has inadvertently used it in St Thomas *we were at sea and that was the tower on the bill) and then deliberately in China - worked and the roaming fees weren't terrible but there were fees. Also used in Puerto Rico with no fees added. We have Verizon Wireless.

Since it seems the majority of you guys use Verizon Wireless can you tell me how good the coverage area is. We currently have TMobile and it has a lot of dead areas. I know Alltel has good coverage but am considering Verizon and would like your input.

We have Verizon phones for years - never any trouble using them, very reliable all over the country (except when I forget to update the roaming every so often - *228, send routine).

We are getting a T-Mobile Blackberry because Verizon doesn't work in Australia where we are headed for three weeks soon.

My cingular works in the USVI and Puerto Rico with no roaming or additional charges.

Makes me wonder, though - why do we obsess over them so? I lived most of my life without one, and rarely use the one I have now! On my cruise last month, it stayed locked in my cabin safe the whole time, and I never missed it!

You need international roaming and dialing on your account to make calls in a foreign country. Counts for Cingular and Verizon.

Without the dialing, you can't make calls in a foreign country. I know...I had to get someone to call Verizon at home for me to add the international dialing. Receiving calls worked with 'intl roaming' but outgoing calls didn't work without the 'intl calling'. Either way, both are free, so no big deal. It could have changed since I dumped Verizon in 2004, but you might want to have it anyway just in case.

Verizon Wireless SUCKS hardcore in Delaware. They have at least 75% of all wireless customers here. Too many people and not nearly enough towers. I'm very happy with Cingular now. I think I've dropped 3 calls in 1.5 years. Cingular works so much better in Myrtle Beach, rural PA, and even in remote parts of AZ than Verizon. Use whatever works best for your particular needs!

So far the only place I cannot use Verizon due to weak signal is from my home here in Paradise Valley, AZ. I have to use my land line to call DH at work on his cell phone (and be deducted the minutes).

So even if my Verizon phone worked in Mexico I would not be able to call home : (

Archived