What is the best way to get to Genoa city centre from the airport

gam888

We are going on the MSC Fantasia in April sailing out of Genoa. We plan to arrive in Genoa 1 day earlier so we don't have to worry about missing a connection. Could you please tell us is there an airport bus that takes you to the city centre. If so, where does it stop. I searched online, and it's a little confusing, as it indicates that the airport bus stops close to the train station. Then another website is saying the bus stops near another train station. (Looks like that one is closer to the cruise dock). Any idea how much does a taxi cost? If we find out which train station the airport bus stops near, we plan to book a hotel within walking distance to it, so we can stay for the night. The next morning perhaps take a taxi to the port from there. Does anyone has a hotel they would recommend? Something reasonable and clean would do, we don't have a budget for a fancy hotel. Any other info on Genoa will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The Hotel Galata is well placed, close to the bus stop in Genoa as well as the cruise port. The ratings on Trip Advisor are quite spead out, some love it and some hate it, but the few verbatims I looked at were good. It sounds like it would be fine for one night.

Hotel site: http://www.hotelgalata-genova.com/

Trip Advisor reviews, Hotel Galata: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187823-d597995-Reviews-Hotel_Galata-Genoa_Italian_Riviera_Liguria.html

Also close by, but a bit more expensive, is the #1 Trip Advisor rated hotel in Genoa, the Grand Hotel Savoia.

Hotel site: http://www.planetariahotels.com/en/grand-hotel-savoia-genova/index.html

Trip advisor reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187823-d202956-Reviews-Grand_Hotel_Savoia-Genoa_Italian_Riviera_Liguria.html

Take the volabus to the bus station at the Stazione Principe, the one nearest to the cruise dock. Less than 5 minute walk down the Via Balbi on the right is the Hotel Agnello D'Oro. Have stayed there twice, pretty reasonable, and very quaint. See the tripadvisor reviews that euro cruiser provided for hotels near Principe.

The Volabus works well. It has a stop at Piazza Acquaverde, which is only a couple of blocks from the cruise port.

http://www.airport.genova.it/v2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=67&Itemid=136&lang=en

Thanks Euro Cruiser for your replies. The link to the airport bus is very helpful. I can see it stops at the first train station, and a few more stops, and ending up at the second train station.

I am going to search for a hotel near the first train station, which is near the dock. Thanks again!

Take the volabus to the bus station at the Stazione Principe, the one nearest to the cruise dock. Less than 5 minute walk down the Via Balbi on the right is the Hotel Agnello D'Oro. Have stayed there twice, pretty reasonable, and very quaint. See the tripadvisor reviews that euro cruiser provided for hotels near Principe.

Thank you for your reply Downdie. I looked through some of the hotels listed near the Stazione Principe on the Google map, and I did notice the Agnello D'Oro. I checked the reviews on Trip Adviser and they weren't too bad. The only concern I have is, when I googled the hotel address and looked at the street on Google, I can't get the frontal view of the hotel, but I saw some narrow winding streets with some old, not very attractive types of storefronts. So I wasn't sure if it's located in a decent neighborhood. Could you please tell me more about this hotel, can you walk to the cruise dock from there? We have a medium size luggage with wheels and a knapsack each. Thanks.

Thank you for your reply Downdie. I looked through some of the hotels listed near the Stazione Principe on the Google map, and I did notice the Agnello D'Oro. I checked the reviews on Trip Adviser and they weren't too bad. The only concern I have is, when I googled the hotel address and looked at the street on Google, I can't get the frontal view of the hotel, but I saw some narrow winding streets with some old, not very attractive types of storefronts. So I wasn't sure if it's located in a decent neighborhood. Could you please tell me more about this hotel, can you walk to the cruise dock from there? We have a medium size luggage with wheels and a knapsack each. Thanks.

Without heavy luggage it's possible to walk to the Stazione Marritima in 10-15 minutes with only one main heavily travelled street to cross.

The reason you don't see the Agnello D'Oro on google is because it's an old converted convent down a pedestrian alley about 50 yards from the Via Balbi which is an OK area.

The hotel and alley is not connected to the area closer to the water which is a much seedier port area of Genoa.