My wife may be a no show. What do I do??

mdaddy

Hello all, my wife and I are booked and paid in full for our 9th cruise leaving 4-30 on the Triumph in a balcony room out of NOLA. We booked Early Saver without any insurance. My wife's mother has not been doing well lately, and as of now, my wife says she isn't going on the cruise so she can stay with her mother. We have many other friends going as well, so it's not like I'll be alone on the boat. I called Carnival inquiring about switching roommates, and was told that due to booking ES, that was not happening. I'm fine with that. i asked the PVP what would happen if my wife just missed the boat due to an emergency, and he said "I definitely would not recommend that." Why would he say that? I'm not concerned about getting any money back because I understand that if she doesn't go, it's our fault. However, if I just show up alone without her to check in with me, I'll lose my mind if they won't let me travel because she isn't there. What should I do? I know my wife, and I can tell y'all that there is about a 95% chance that she will not go. She'd rather me go alone and have fun while she stays with her mother. They are very close.

Edited by mdaddy

If she is a no-show, they will let you on the ship. People do it all the time. One person has to cancel for whatever reason and just end up being a no-show.

Do not cancel her from the reservation. Not only will you be out the cost of her cruise, they may also make you pay a solo cruising supplement.

I don't know which is better for when you show up to port: Tell them that she will be checking in later and just board without her or telling them that she will be a no-show. Perhaps someone else can answer that.

Do you have a male friend or relative that would like a free cruise? Most cruise lines allow changing a passengers name free if it is before online check in. If you would rather be alone she just does a no show. I don't know why the rep made it sound like you would be in trouble. Regardless of early saver or any other offer you paid for 2 people so it matters not that only 1 is in there. I think they will refund port fees though.

Hello all, my wife and I are booked and paid in full for our 9th cruise leaving 4-30 on the Triumph in a balcony room out of NOLA. We booked Early Saver without any insurance. My wife's mother has not been doing well lately, and as of now, my wife says she isn't going on the cruise so she can stay with her mother. We have many other friends going as well, so it's not like I'll be alone on the boat. I called Carnival inquiring about switching roommates, and was told that due to booking ES, that was not happening. I'm fine with that. i asked the PVP what would happen if my wife just missed the boat due to an emergency, and he said "I definitely would not recommend that." Why would he say that? I'm not concerned about getting any money back because I understand that if she doesn't go, it's our fault. However, if I just show up alone without her to check in with me, I'll lose my mind if they won't let me travel because she isn't there. What should I do? I know my wife, and I can tell y'all that there is about a 95% chance that she will not go. She'd rather me go alone and have fun while she stays with her mother. They are very close.

You actually should be able to cancel her and add another. They will charge you a change fee equal to the cost of her deposit, which will most likely be $150 unless there was some sort of sail when you booked. If you get a Carnival rep that tells you this isn't possible, then just call again and talk to someone else. Just be sure you have the name and date of birth of the person replacing her and be ready to pay the penalty right there.

If you do decide to just go by yourself, then you can do what others have suggested and show up to the pier without her. If you cancel her today, then they will refund everything besides your deposit, and then charge you the single supplement. As you get closer to the final payment date, they will refund you less and less.

I too, suggest that you just check in, and tell 'em that she'll be along later. When she doesn't show up, they'll refund the taxes, and port fees you paid for her. Beats not going at all, and you do get something back.

Sorry to hear about you mother-in-law, but I'm glad there are others from your group who'll be aboard, to have fun with. ;)

"SKY"

Edited by SkyMaster

Did you speak with a PVP or a CSR? A Personal vacation planner is someone that you build a working relationship over time and a customer service rep answers the 1-800 #. There is a difference as PVP usually have a better knowledge of rules and regulation.

That said, 4 years ago I was in a similar situation. My PVP said I could switch out a cruiser even though we had booked ES. So if that is an option for you please pursue it further.

As far as the dire warning regarding canceling you wife. I don't think you need to tell them anything. Boarding passes are printed individually and people often check in at different times. Your taxes and port fees will be refunded.

Please know I wish your mother in law all the best and perhaps your wife will indeed be able to join you.

I've been in a similar situation in the past. If you notify Carnival before the cruise your wife is not coming, you technically stand a chance that Carnival will charge you 100% single supplement in addition to losing your wife's fare. So your best bet is just to show up for your cruise and don't say anything. Just let your wife be a no-show. Carnival will credit back the taxes and port charges for your wife after the ship sets sail. Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Hope things work out for the best.

Do you have a male friend or relative that would like a free cruise? Most cruise lines allow changing a passengers name free if it is before online check in. If you would rather be alone she just does a no show. I don't know why the rep made it sound like you would be in trouble. Regardless of early saver or any other offer you paid for 2 people so it matters not that only 1 is in there. I think they will refund port fees though.

Name changes are not allowed under Early Saver, according to the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you all for the kind words and solid advice. Again, I'm not concerned with any refund because I realize that it's our fault if she doesn't go on the cruise. I've decided to continue on as if she were going with me, and if she doesn't, I'll just advise Carnival (when I show up at the terminal) that she opted to stay home because her mother is ill. If they refund the taxes, fine.... if they don't, I'm ok with that too. I just don't want to put my wife in a situation that makes her uncomfortable (by forcing her to go), and I absolutely don't want to show up in NOLA and be denied boarding or charged an additional fee. Again, THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!

Edited by mdaddy

The rules are different when you book under Early Saver--no name changes allowed.

Thank you all for the kind words and solid advice. Again, I'm not concerned with any refund because I realize that it's our fault if she doesn't go on the cruise. I've decided to continue on as if she were going with me, and if she doesn't, I'll just advise Carnival (when I show up at the terminal) that she opted to stay home because her mother is ill. If they refund the taxes, fine.... if they don't, I'm ok with that too. I just don't want to put my wife in a situation that makes her uncomfortable (by forcing her to go), and I absolutely don't want to show up in NOLA and be denied boarding or charged an additional fee. Again, THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!

tell them she's late.

tell them she's late.

Yes do not say she is a no show, tell them she is late,...let them find that out...or it will be a mess.

They will see nobody checked in...she did not make it...if not all these other fines as a solo can happen...hard not to be 100% truthful...but you should not have to pay more and you are paying for 2 minus refund on port fees you can handle at end of cruise.."she just did not make it"..... ( no reason but last minute did not make it) "shock approach"....later can say "found out she added one errand... stopped at her mom's to say hi and left to late for port or anything"...this is way later for those refund port fees...or maybe even do that after home..others can advise.

Edited by sjn911

Yes do not say she is a no show, tell them she is late,...let them find that out...or it will be a mess.

They will see nobody checked in...she did not make it...if not all these other fines as a solo can happen...hard not to be 100% truthful...but you should not have to pay more and you are paying for 2 minus refund on port fees you can handle at end of cruise.."she just did not make it.. ( no reason but last minute not make it) "shock approach"....for those refund port fees...or maybe even do that after home..others can advise.

It is perfectly fine op to tell them at check in she will not be making it this time. In fact, it may save you some aggravation because they may call you to the desk before the ship leaves to see if you know anything.

No, you will not get hit with a solo supplement by doing this. That would only happen if you CANCEL her prior to embark day. On the day, nobody cares.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

tell them she's late.

It is perfectly fine op to tell them at check in she will not be making it this time. In fact, it may save you some aggravation because they may call you to the desk before the ship leaves to see if you know anything.

No, you will not get hit with a solo supplement by doing this. That would only happen if you CANCEL her prior to embark day. On the day, nobody cares.

Thanks for fine tuning..it was not how I was reading it...:).

I was just wondering what a ( solo supplement ) is?

I thought you just had to pay the same price as if 2 were sailing.

What am I missing?

If you cancel someone out of a cabin their fare is gone. When that leaves only one person in the cabin, the computer now says solo cruiser and puts on the solo supplement which is 100% - port fees and taxes.

There are people on here that will tell you wrongly that since the room was paid for all is well, but that is not true. Once a person cancels, the cancellation penalty kicks in, so if you are in 100% penalty, then that is exactly what you lose.

I was just wondering what a ( solo supplement ) is?

I thought you just had to pay the same price as if 2 were sailing.

What am I missing?

Let me break it down a little better.

Let's say two people are booked in a cabin. Total price paid was $500, of which $100 is port fees and taxes.

One person decided they cannot go two weeks before the cruise. They are in100% penalty phase.

So one person cancels. Their $250 is totally come because of the 100% penalty. Now the person that is going is solo in the cabin. Solo supplement is 100% is now added minus port fees and taxes so $200.

So person canceling lost two fifty and person now going is paying $450.

Same situation, person that can not go is a no show on the day of the cruise. That person will be refunded port fees and taxes of $50, and the person that is now still going is not charged anything extra.

Now if you have insurance totally different and you would have to decide how it would work out the best because to use the insurance you must cancel at lady two days before the cruise on every policy I have had which would make the person going solo therefore would have to pay the solo supplement. But if they also had insurance that covered a canceling roommate, then after the cruise, they could child to get the solo supplement back.