San Juan Feb 2017

maeormaenot

Our cruising buddies are wanting the Feb 12, but DS bday is the 15th and he isn't going to be happy getting left at home and not cruising, much less mom and dad being gone on his bday. So I am looking at the 19th!

That's awesome that you have been 3 times, let's me know its a GOOD one!

would love to have you on our cruise!! if you do decide on that date/cruise

join the Roll Call. :D

I REALLY wanted to take my kids (teens) on this tour but researching says that when we are there is a poor time for any activity due to moon and weather pattern or something? Id hate to get over there and pay the fee and see nothing.

You might want to try a BioBay kayak. Really a cool thing to do - seeing the bioluminescence on the water. There are two tours and you could probably catch the 5:30 one. Or you might want to check your ship - it might have an excursion.

http://www.ecoadventurespr.com/bio-bay-tour.html

maeormaenot - another huge vote for this itin. San Juan is awesome. And show hubbs this video for St. Maarten and Maho Beach. 'nuff said. :D

Do your research ahead of time too. There are mixed reviews about these trips spanning the entire spectrum from absolutely amazing to major disappointment. Some mention that there has been something that killed off alot of the organisms so you dont see much etc. I take alot of reviews with a grain of salt but at least do some reading ahead of time. I saw many recent negative ones on Trip Advisor.

We will pray for some clouds! Lol...we are booked 2/12-2/19.

Do your research ahead of time too. There are mixed reviews about these trips spanning the entire spectrum from absolutely amazing to major disappointment. Some mention that there has been something that killed off alot of the organisms so you dont see much etc. I take alot of reviews with a grain of salt but at least do some reading ahead of time. I saw many recent negative ones on Trip Advisor.

Thank you! I have 340 days to research...trust me I will be!!!

I've done it twice. The first time was in the amazing group - there was a lot of light in the water - you held up your oar and the sparkles ran down with the water. When a fish would dart away from our kayak, he would leave a trail of light. Even the puddle of water in our kayak was glowing.

The second time was this past Feb. 1. We had one of the 'best' nights for viewing, but the luminescence was not as good. We did see some, but nothing like that first time.

That being said, our two friends who had never done it before loved it, even though the glowing wasn't that great. Just the kayaking in the dark is an experience. :)

Just got back from this itinerary on March 6th. We were on the Liberty, which is now enroute to Galveston. These ports were fantastic! The Carribean was a very comfortable temperature for swimming and snorkeling. So much to do, be sure to budget for excursions and get off the ship. This is what we did:

San Juan: Old San Juan, Bacardi Rum Factory tour. Had already been to the fort before, it is fascinating.

St Thomas: Cokey beach to feed the fish. Can get a taxi there. Very good shopping right in the port.

Barbados: Catamaran excursion booked through the ship. Swam with the sea turtles. Really fun!

St Lucia: Booked excursion to the beach. Probably could have gotten a taxi. Others enjoyed the Segway tour, but found it to be pricey.

St Kitts: My favorite. I had contacted Mr Thenford Gray, who gave us an almost 7 hour day of sightseeing and a beach that had great snorkeling for $48 apiece. So worth it!

St. Maarten: You can take the ferry all day for $7 apiece, go downtown, then get a taxi for $2 to Maho beach and have the planes so close, they whip the sand around.

The air was warm every night, and they had good movies on deck. So relaxing. My only complaint was there were few shaded areas on the Liberty, and the sun was strong. It was close to the equator and the daytime highs were mid 80s during the first week of March. My advice is get a bottle of SPF 70 and go!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app