Pre-Trip Med on the Epic in July

jewelmick

Sounds like you have a lot planned already! The excursions sound great. I'm planning some different excursions - most of the ports we will be doing self-guided "excursions" with some exceptions for tours at the very crowded tourist attractions (Colosseum, Accademia, etc). I completely understand your worry about missing the ship but the cruise ship excursions were a little too pricey for me. My mom is the same way about missing the ship though.

In Barcelona, one of my friends strongly recommended a trip to Montserrat. I think it's about an hour away by train and is absolutely stunning. We unfortunately have very limited time in Barcelona and I don't think we'll be able to make it out there.

The day trip sounds great...We have decided to plan Barcelona when we get to Barcelona...makes me crazy, but I gotta let the other two have SOME input.

Several people I know have stayed at The Casa Camper and all say they are great with food, and touristy suggestions, we will wait and see what they suggest too.

I am freaking out about Pompeii...I have read Elton John is having a concert at the Pompeii Amphitheater on THE DAY we are there! I called NCL tour help, and they were NOT helpful. All she could say was it is still scheduled. I am considering cancelling the Pompeii and switching to Herculeam instead. Has anyone done both?

It looks like you have got your plans. Those ship excursions do add up in cost though - do not discount the idea of a sharing a private tour. They are much cheaper - and I am not sure where in Europe you have heard of people missing the ship if they have been on a private tour. If you missed the boat in Naples or Rome it would not be a big deal. It would be the cost of a hotel room and a train up to the next port, but it wont happen!!

We always use the train to get into Rome - and then we have a dip in the Med on the walk back from the train station. We don't like swimming on the ship - there is just not enough room. Cannes is the easiest port to just 'go to the beach' - but you are going to Monaco. Make it up to your daughter by giving her a couple of beach trips in Barcelona. Apart from that, do make sure you have swimwear and sunscreen with you on each of your days out. You could find you have the opportunity for a quick dip somewhere. I always carry one of those travel towels in my bag just in case we need it. We usually do in the middle of July.

Enjoy your trip

I am enjoying your posts. We did a similar Med cruise last year it was on NCL Jade with a couple more of ports. We were afraid to miss the ship, and were hesitant to explore other options, but after reading and learning here in the forum a lot we decided and go to private tours all but one. Always in time, always great rides.

The one to Pompeii also took us trough the Amalfi coast to Sorrento and Positano, it was the most beautiful tour.

The one to Florence and Pissa, arranged for us timed tickets to Accademia and Ufizzi, and we bypassed the long lines and could see much more. Florence was crowded in spite that we did not go on Summer time but in February, which is low season.

Barcelona is beautiful, the private tour took us to La Sagrada, Park Guell and to the mountain to see the black virgin at Monserrat, we only have a port day to see it all. Highly recommended to have the tickets for La Sagrada in advance.

Monaco, I see Eze is on your list, no to miss indeed. That was our highlight that day too.

We had a wonderful time, it was fast paced though but we enjoyed every minute of it.

Enjoy!

You sound VERY excited about your trip! I would be too!

We did this trip (very similar) on the Epic a couple years ago. Everyone is different. I didn't find the ship overcrowded. Perhaps if you go to the buffet for breakfast at 8 a.m. you may have trouble finding a table but otherwise, it felt fine to us. Make reservations for dinner and shows, if you can.

I'm with you on the NCL excursions, because like you, I was afraid to miss the ship by arriving back late with a private tour company.

Probably our worst tour *ever* was the NCL tour of Rome and the Vatican. Too many places in one day, and a terrible tour guide. Our bus arrived on time in Rome but the guide arrived very late. After that it was a mad dash chasing her around the city (almost impossible for everyone to keep up with her) only to be deposited at a gift shop near the Vatican for an hour at the end. She left us at an underground bus depot to meet the NCL bus, which was 'lost' & late...very late. So late that we were sure we were driving to the next port, Florence, on the bus. Fortunately, the ship did wait for us. (Thank you Epic.) But don't worry because I'm sure that guide is long gone. Count on a very long day though.

In contrast the other NCL excursions were lovely. Night and day. Sorrento and Pompeii - fabulous. We also went to Les Baux and it's a simple little excursion. Drive through the gorgeous countryside, up the mountain, and a couple of hours of time to yourself to shop and explore. So beautiful and relaxing.

You're going to love this trip and Barcelona is a wonderful city to wander about. Take advantage of the hop-on-and-off buses to get around. So many amazing sights (& watch your wallet!) Wishing you a wonderful vacation.

You sound VERY excited about your trip! I would be too!

Probably our worst tour *ever* was the NCL tour of Rome and the Vatican.

You're going to love this trip and Barcelona is a wonderful city to wander about. Wishing you a wonderful vacation.

I have to say that it was the Rome and Vatican tour that put me off cruise tours. I have had some memorable tours - especially Cinque Terre from Livorno, but when I see the photos and look at the guide who took us to the Trevi fountain not knowing it would be void of water because it was being cleaned that day!!. Private tours in mini bus or car are, in my experience, much better. Try your Roll Call for a shared tour or go to Share a Shore Excursion and set up tours that others can join.

On the cruise tour we did see St Peters, The forum, The Colliseum and the Trevi fountain and and we saw the Victor Emmanuel monument from the bus but the thing about ship tours is the amount of time wasted getting 50 people on and off a bus. We wasted time being taken to have a meal and could just have grabbed a piece of pizza beside the Trevi Fountain. All the photos are of the kids looking really annoyed. Nobody posed and nobody smiled in my family!!

My best times in Rome since (and there have been a few) have been DIY doing a proper tour of the Vatican museum, going to some of the big churches and having a pizza and glass of wine in front of the Pantheon - I don't know, but having this as my view just made me so happy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheon_(religion)#/media/File:Pantheon_rome_2005may.jpg

The writing that translates to "Agrippa made it" - was something that I recall was really enhanced by a glass of wine.

Wow! Sounds like you're just like me. I always plan in great detail. I have learned over the years to also "go with the flow" to avoid missing incredible opportunities and to avoid disappointment as well.

I haven't cruised in the med area but I have been to Barcelona. I know you said you're not planning Barcelona til you get there but I have to make one recommendation based on what you've said about yourself being in the medical field and your daughter being a history geek. Look up Hospital de Sant Pau or Sant Pau Recinte Modernista. It's a hospital complex built from the turn of the 20th century to the 1930's but which has a history going back to the 15th century. It's absolutely beautiful and if you go, get the guided tour. The history of medicine and the hospital is really fascinating on top of the amazing architecture.

I'm currently waiting on a cruise in June and I can't contain myself. Good luck with the continued planning!

Wow! Sounds like you're just like me. I always plan in great detail. I have learned over the years to also "go with the flow" to avoid missing incredible opportunities and to avoid disappointment as well.

I haven't cruised in the med area but I have been to Barcelona. I know you said you're not planning Barcelona til you get there but I have to make one recommendation based on what you've said about yourself being in the medical field and your daughter being a history geek. Look up Hospital de Sant Pau or Sant Pau Recinte Modernista. It's a hospital complex built from the turn of the 20th century to the 1930's but which has a history going back to the 15th century. It's absolutely beautiful and if you go, get the guided tour. The history of medicine and the hospital is really fascinating on top of the amazing architecture.

I'm currently waiting on a cruise in June and I can't contain myself. Good luck with the continued planning!

Thank you so much for this suggestion. This is exactly the kind of stuff we geek out over. It would be perfect for after La Sagrada Familia!

I know I said we were trying to not PLAN Barcelona too much...but, I have a feeling the closer we get and research stuff the more will end up pre-planned.

Like, after reading Carolyn's awesome Spirit Med Review (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2217080&page=4) I have booked the Flamenco show at Tablao Cordobes for Sat. July 9th. And I DID pre-order T10 tickets and La Sagrada Familia no-line for Sat. morning as well.

But, that's it, I promise...for now anyway.

A few other things I have done in the last couple of days.

-Booked a Tour Share for Naples with Aldo, for Politano, Sorrento, and Herculaneum on the 12th. I read here, Elton John is playing a concert at the Pompeii Amphitheater on July 12th. We figured this would make it super busy there, so switched to Herculaneum instead. After doing some digging, I think it will be a better fit anyway. -sorry, not really- Some reviews say Pompeii can be hot, overcrowded, and hard to walk on the uneven cobblestones. Herculaneum was covered in mud and actually better preserved. Either one will be Historic. -again not sorry-

-Since TODAY is the 90 day mark, I just HAD to reserve our specialty dining. We picked the Dining and Booze packages with the promo and I added 3 Specialty Dinners for DD with the pop package. (we are from Michigan and pop=soda=coke=any carbonated non-alcoholic beverage.) I booked La Cucina for embarkation evening (Sun.) Being (mostly) non meat eaters, we tend to steer away from Steakhouses. -I just can't help myself today-

-I booked the Cirque Show with prime seating for the last night of the cruise. All the other days just seem so long, Rome is out after a 10 hour tour. -somebody stop me- The same with Naples. But, on Sat. we are only doing Les Baux De Provence ship tour in the morning. I figure it will be a nice end memory to take home.

- I also bought spa passes for DW and I. I had to really/not really talk myself into it. I realize we may not get a ton of use out of it, but the idea of a nice soak and steam after a long day of touring sounds really appealing...a quiet haven away for the crowds is a bonus. PLUS, we are staying in aft facing balcony on deck 11, so the spa is really just a short jog up a few flights of stairs...and with the nightmare bathroom situation in the cabin...yeah, I really didn't need that much convincing, so $129 for the week did not sound unreasonable.

That's what I booked so far...deciding between Le Bistro and Teppanyaki for the last Specialty Dining option.

• 1 month later...

We don't mind to long walks to restaurants, my only concern is that the cruise is in July and will be hot...I hope the balcony will still get some breeze and be usable in the morning and evenings.

That's my cabin selection process...any suggestions? or comments?

(to be cont...coming next what to do in all the ports?)

I have noticed this comment rather a long time after you posted. I have been on a number of Med cruises. I have not always had a balcony (Enjoyed the internal promenades on the AOS) but when I have, the balcony has been fine in July. You will be away during the day on all but Day One, but even then you can move into the shade and enjoy the space for some reading or listening to your music.

We never enjoyed the crowded decks and always made sure we had swimwear to enjoy the ports (e.g. on the way back from the train station in Civitavecchia).

I'm sharing in your excitement and I'm not on this itinerary for another 490 days!! Like you, I'm a planner and that's a huge chunk of the vacation fun for me. I'll be following along and I hope you'll update this thread with a review when you return. :D

I was on the Epic in March for the 10-day Canary Islands and Morocco cruise, and had a wonderful time! I spent several days in Barcelona and since your daughter loves history, I'll bet she'l love it there. If you go on the HOHO bus you'll pass by the hospital in which Antoni Gaudi died, which may be of interest to you. You're smart to pre-book La Sagrada Familia. I went at 9:00 a.m. when it opened and it was so nice to not have to wait in line! The interior is amazing!

Like some of the other posters have said, I've never worried about missing the ship when taking a private tour and have never even come close to missing it. In the last 15 years, I've booked only once through the ship and when we started booking with independents the quality of our our vacations increased dramatically. I can't tell you how many times we've been on a private tour and walked past as many as 200 people on ship's tours waiting to get in somewhere when we were on a private tour and had early-entry tickets. :p That said, if someone would just stress the entire time over missing the ship it's not worth it.

I'm looking forward to following along, and hoping you and your family have the times of your lives!

:D

Enjoying your planning process OP . We are on the next cruise after you . We also went with the drink

and restaurant options . Also flying from Canada to Barcelona with 3 pre-cruise nights there .

I'll be following your planning progress especially your port plans . So far we've made firm plans for just 2 days .

We have rented a car at one port and may do so for another .

Have fun .:)

Edited by richstowe

ComfyOne says: "In contrast the other NCL excursions were lovely. Night and day. Sorrento and Pompeii - fabulous. We also went to Les Baux and it's a simple little excursion. Drive through the gorgeous countryside, up the mountain, and a couple of hours of time to yourself to shop and explore. So beautiful and relaxing."

I am going on this cruise in September with DH and his two adult sons. We are actually excited to go to Les Baux and the Carierres de Lumieres. Did you go to the light show?

Thanks! :-)

Mallory

Edited by mal&jason

Mallory ~ We didn't go to Carierres de Lumieres but it looks amazing. You only get limited time there (perhaps 2 hours or so) and there is lots to explore. The village is enchanting. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and was definitely a highlight of our cruise. You will love it.

Mallory ~ We didn't go to Carierres de Lumieres but it looks amazing. You only get limited time there (perhaps 2 hours or so) and there is lots to explore. The village is enchanting. It's one of the most beautiful places I've ever been and was definitely a highlight of our cruise. You will love it.

Ohhh that makes me even more excited! We will either split up so I can see the light show or spend about an hour in each and eat when we get back. Were the castle and the Carierres far from each other or was it an easy walk, do you know?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update...33 Days Away!

I have cancelled our Spa Passes. I figured someone else would get more use out of them than we will. The whole point was to have a quiet place to retreat...which we no longer need...

Because, I have taken an upsell offer! :D from our BA to H2 for 1k. After canceling the Spa Passes that only $750! Seemed totally worth it! Of course, after the added tips for Butler and Concierge it will put us back up just over 1k more.

But, with all the perks and the "ship within the ship" I think it is money well spent. I don't always to well in crowds for extended periods of time. I do ok for smaller periods when I know I have somewhere to retreat. Buffets kill me.

For Excursion we have booked the following...

-We have decided to just wing Cannes...leisurely stroll and maybe the ferry over to Île Sainte-Marguerite.

-We are sticking with the ships Rome-Vatican tour

-We have a private/shared van tour with Aldo booked for Naples...Herculaneum, Positano, Sorrento.

-Florence is ship tour Pisa and Trolley...a sleep in day doesn't go until 2pm.

-Provence is the ships Les Baux de Provence, just a short 4.5 hours

For on ship activities we have planned

-Dinners at Cirque Dreams for the last night

-La Cucina the first night

-Le Bistro the Sea Day

...I may try to switch Le Bistro and Cirque thru the concierge once on board

-Priscilla on Thursday

A few Pre-Cruise things

-We are flying out of Toronto and plan on arriving with a lot of spare time. We are leaving Detroit (driving) by 10am, 4 hour drive, for our flight leaving at 7pm. I have purchased Priority Lounge passes for the day, so we have a place to relax, eat, and drink before we board.

-We got our Nexus cards last week, so should be all set with security checks.

So, I think we are pretty well set?

Thank you so much for this suggestion. This is exactly the kind of stuff we geek out over. It would be perfect for after La Sagrada Familia!

I know I said we were trying to not PLAN Barcelona too much...but, I have a feeling the closer we get and research stuff the more will end up pre-planned.

Like, after reading Carolyn's awesome Spirit Med Review (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2217080&page=4) I have booked the Flamenco show at Tablao Cordobes for Sat. July 9th. And I DID pre-order T10 tickets and La Sagrada Familia no-line for Sat. morning as well.

But, that's it, I promise...for now anyway.

After reading your post and Carolyn's review...I immediately checked the website for reservations. We are traveling with 5 year old twins so the 22:30 show isn't an option for us...especially coming from EST with a 6-hour time difference. Do you know of anything else that would be similar but possibly more family friendly. I am having a difficult time planning this cruise out and I am a big planner, like you. It is really half the fun! But I need to consider the kids and they can't always handle my over scheduling :)

Hi Twinmom

Welcome

Here is a good info link...I use trip advisor for much of my planning and have found it very helpful. According to TA, this show is kid friendly. What day are you trying to go? They have a 7pm show time.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187497-d244874-r198458607-El_Tablao_de_Carmen-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

The one I booked is more convenient from our hotel but it has a 7pm show as well.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187497-Activities-c58-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

Hope this helps.

About 13 years ago (before one of us was disabled and confined to a wheelchair) we did a 2 week Mediterranean cruise out of Palma de Mallorca. This cruise was very port intensive but worth every '' historic'' minute.

After much homework and some basic Italian and Spanish language courses, we visited/explored/enjoyed the following ports and beyond on our own: (Sorry, I don't remember the exact order of the ports)

In all of the ports we visited we either walked/explored the Cities and/or if what we wanted to see was outside the Port City, we took local trains and buses to soak up the overwhelming beauty and history at our leisure without being rushed by tour guides etc.

Palma de Mallorca (embarkation)

Tunesia (La Goulette - Tunis)

Rome (Port of Civitavecchia)

Livorno (Pisa)

Naples (Pompeii)

Ville Franche Sur Mer (Monaco)

Barcelona

Palma de Mallorca (full day in Palma de Mallorca)

Sicily (Messina)

Genoa

Malta

Menorca

Palma de Mallorca( disembarkation)

This cruise exceeded all of our expectations.

:D:D:D:D

Edited by oldguysandgalls

Awesome update! Makes me wish I would've called the "upgrade" line to see what they could offer me for my cruise on June 15 on the Epic!

You're going to have a great time!

Thinking of you today...Hope you have a GREAT and safe trip.