Do we need shots for Central America

Sydney Oz

We are booked on Brilliance 2 December doing partial transit of Panama Canal. We are from Australia and were wanting to know if we need any shots to get back into the States after the cruise. We are travelling on to Canada and it is so complicated trying to find any answers if you are from a "foreign country" please help.

I would say make sure your booster shots are up-to-date. It is a little late for some of the other shots/suggestions now. Twinrx for Hep A/B. Since you are not staying in any areas you don't need Yellow Fever but if you were staying in the Panama it depends where. Otherwise, ask your own health units because you also have to get back into your own country too. I would also get the flu shot.

It seems that nowadays, the only time you need shots of any kind is if you're traveling in Africa. For those areas such as Kenya you need yellow fever, typhoid and malaria shots. But nothing is required for Central America. You might want to get Hepititus A and B shots and make sure your Tetanus shot is less than 10 years old.

For central america I beleive that the recommended shots are Hepititis A, hepatitis B and possibly Yellow fever. The should be a listing for required shots at the Department of State or CDC websites. FYI for my upcoming Caribbean cruise I opted to get the Hep A shot beacuse of possibility of eating fresh fruit or food off-ship. ( I also went for a Flu shot just in case ).

In the UK, the advice on Yellow Fever is that it is only required if you are going to an infected area, or have come from one, and they are largely Central Africa and some parts of South America. The reason I single Yellow Fever out is that it is the only one of the common vaccinations which cannot be obtained from our National Health Service, only privately. Having said that it does last for 10 years should anyone need it.

Having said all that, we do try and keep our Hepatitis A, Meningitis, Polio, Tetanus, Typhoid and Yellow fever jabs up to date, so we are covered for most countries should a good last minute deal pop up.

Archived