3 Assistant Waiters - Tip them all?

richmke

You do know that the tips go into a pool. Also, you tip less then recommended.

I have confirmed many times that the tips are infact pooled. They would not be so rude as to not pocket any envelope handed to them, that's not an indication that they are keeping it for themselves. I leave my auto tips in place and put the extra tip in an envelope addressed to my Head Waiter & Team. I hand it to the head waiter on the last night.

I tip the wine steward when he delivers our bottle of wine each night, but it's a write in tip on the receipt.

Edited by okgirl

We base our tips on service. On our last cruise we had a great wait staff for dinner in MDR. On the last night as we left the table, I tipped them individually and thanked them for taking great care of us. I also informed the MD, we were very pleased with the service we received.

We also tip our cabin stewards if they do a good job. The last two cruises we did not tip our stewards as service was below par. It seems to me that service on Carnival has slipped, especially in the area of the cabin stewards. On the Freedom, in December, the steward never did bother to learn our names and was not very friendly. On the Triumph in January, we never knew who our steward was. We had different people clean our cabin the entire cruise.

Also, we report the good and the bad on the review the cruise line sends us at the end of the cruise.

You removed the room stewards tips totally? If that is what you have done not nice at all. Can see reducing the autotips somewhat for very poor service but not to stiff them.

I have confirmed many times that the tips are infact pooled. They would not be so rude as to not pocket any envelope handed to them, that's not an indication that they are keeping it for themselves. I leave my auto tips in place and put the extra tip in an envelope addressed to my Head Waiter & Team. I hand it to the head waiter on the last night.

I tip the wine steward when he delivers our bottle of wine each night, but it's a write in tip on the receipt.

So funny how you just casually speak for all the crews tipping habits. Not all cash tips are pooled, you have no proof of this beside maybe a few people who told you this, which is hearsay.

LB dear john claims there have been no cutbacks in staff, but I well remember the staff having enough time they would come to the tables, scrape crumbs, "play" with the guest, teach the children to fold napkins. None of that happens now because they are run off their feet. So what changed if there was not a cutback in staff?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

On my cruise on the Glory in October we got a lot of interaction from our wait staff. The head waiter particularly chatted with us on more than one occasion, remembered our drink choices, answered questions about himself and was just in general very friendly. I think a lot depends on the staff and their individual efficiency and personalities. Yes, they did seem run off their feet but we had great service!

So funny how you just casually speak for all the crews tipping habits. Not all cash tips are pooled, you have no proof of this beside maybe a few people who told you this, which is hearsay.

Agreed. I have 2 family members who work on 2 different lines. When you hand them an envelope with their name on it its over and above the auto-tips. Which is why I do it that way. I leave my gratuities on, but I also tip over and above each individual crewmember that gives me and my family great service.

They have a choice to pool if they want to, its NOT mandatory. Which is why I tip my head waiter and his 2 assistants all in separate envelopes. Same for my room stewards and if/when I get spa services, etc. They all get their own envelopes. I would never give the head anything something for a "team" whether on land or at sea.

The tips for the beverage packages are pooled

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just off our 4th Pride cruise, and we gave extra separate tips to Room Steward, and assistant, Waiter and assistants, and MD because we made a table request prior to the cruise, and he was helpful and happy to comply with our request.

The last two cruises we did not tip our stewards as service was below par. It seems to me that service on Carnival has slipped, especially in the area of the cabin stewards. On the Freedom, in December, the steward never did bother to learn our names and was not very friendly. On the Triumph in January, we never knew who our steward was. We had different people clean our cabin the entire cruise.

Also, we report the good and the bad on the review the cruise line sends us at the end of the cruise.

So you didn't tip because he/she didn't remember your name and because more then one person cleaned your room?

I don't understand this need to be besties with the crew. Yes be polite but they aren't your friends. As long as they do what they are supposed to do who cares if they address you by name.

So you didn't tip because he/she didn't remember your name and because more then one person cleaned your room?

I don't understand this need to be besties with the crew. Yes be polite but they aren't your friends. As long as they do what they are supposed to do who cares if they address you by name.

I have never figured that out. In fact, I hear my name all day at work and it is the last thing I want to hear on vacation.

Another one I don't get is knowing what people drink. I don't even know what I want to drink and sit down and decide what I want to eat. I have had to politely drink something because it was waiting for me.

My mother once ordered iced tea but got hot tea instead, so she reordered iced tea. Every night for the rest of the cruise she had a cup of hot tea and a glass of iced tea at her spot every night even though we attempted to straighten it out on night two.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk