Escape - which nights in MDR have the better menus (by personal or popular opinion)

CP3o

Personally, I don't think it makes much of a difference. You'll always have the "classic favorites" and then a variety of "daily features". I never saw one menu in particular that had me overly eager to either catch or avoid.

My approach is to focus on the specialty dining & show reservations as the top priority, and then fill in with MDR reservations as needed

Thanks! I'm wondering about which shows I'd need to make reservations for but don't think we'd do supper club so just brat pack and comedy show are ones I know about. Is it anything like rccl or dcl where X number of weeks before sailing you can email and find out entertainment on the ship? I hit 90 days soon so maybe all will be on website soon enough. It's easier to just assume I don't need to be scoping out MDR menus so I won't fixate on it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I'm wondering about which shows I'd need to make reservations for but don't think we'd do supper club so just brat pack and comedy show are ones I know about. Is it anything like rccl or dcl where X number of weeks before sailing you can email and find out entertainment on the ship? I hit 90 days soon so maybe all will be on website soon enough. It's easier to just assume I don't need to be scoping out MDR menus so I won't fixate on it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems to me I've read that there are 30 or so MDR menus which rotate, probably on the whim of the chef. Don't know if this still holds true with the new menus. But, no way to know what menu would be offered on any particular date.

Dinner and show reservations open up at the 90 day mark unless you are in a suite and then it's 100 days. Go to MyNCL on the NCL website and register now. The available shows and dining times by venue will show up at 90 days. The comedy shows are not available for prebooking and must be booked on board the ship. On embark day, check with the box office for the comedy show schedule and book that day. They sell out fast, but there is a stand-by line for each show and they will release seats of no shows. They can also be booked via the Iconcierge app which you can download precruise (free) and then activate onboard for $8 for the week. In case you have trouble finding availability for the comedy shows, when we cruised the Escape in January they had the comedians in the theatre once or twice for a couple shows and no reservations were needed.

Edited by punkincc

It seems to me I've read that there are 30 or so MDR menus which rotate, probably on the whim of the chef. Don't know if this still holds true with the new menus. But, no way to know what menu would be offered on any particular date.

Dinner and show reservations open up at the 90 day mark unless you are in a suite and then it's 100 days. Go to MyNCL on the NCL website and register now. The available shows and dining times by venue will show up at 90 days. The comedy shows are not available for prebooking and must be booked on board the ship. On embark day, check with the box office for the comedy show schedule and book that day. They sell out fast, but there is a stand-by line for each show and they will release seats of no shows. They can also be booked via the Iconcierge app which you can download precruise (free) and then activate onboard for $8 for the week. In case you have trouble finding availability for the comedy shows, when we cruised the Escape in January they had the comedians in the theatre once or twice for a couple shows and no reservations were needed.

Thanks, great info! Can teens only go to certain "family friendly" comedy shows? I assume it's a smaller venue and they have at least one show a night and limit to one reservation so everyone gets a shot at it? I do plan on activating the app, sounds very useful.

Thanks, great info! Can teens only go to certain "family friendly" comedy shows? I assume it's a smaller venue and they have at least one show a night and limit to one reservation so everyone gets a shot at it? I do plan on activating the app, sounds very useful.

The earlier shows are kid friendly, but of course, the late ones are the most fun for us adults;). It is a very small venue in comparison to the theatre. The comedians rotate nights with Howl at the Moon dueling pianos, which is also a lot of fun for kids, but gets raunchier as the night goes on. I think there are at least two, possibly 3 shows on the nights they are in Headliners. We caught a show once there, and once in the theatre.

Unfortunately, no limit on reservations that I am aware of. I suspect that many people book multiple shows, just in case, and then never bother to cancel. Thus, the stand by line about 15 minutes pre show. People here seem to report success in getting in. The late show we went to had several empty seats. Same applies to theatre shows. Howl cannot be reserved at all. Walk in only and it is usually packed, standing room only, so get there early pre opening and atand in line a bit. It won't kill you and it is worth it.

Edited by punkincc

The earlier shows are kid friendly, but of course, the late ones are the most fun for us adults;). It is a very small venue in comparison to the theatre. The comedians rotate nights with Howl at the Moon dueling pianos, which is also a lot of fun for kids, but gets raunchier as the night goes on. I think there are at least two, possibly 3 shows on the nights they are in Headliners. We caught a show once there, and once in the theatre.

Unfortunately, no limit on reservations that I am aware of. I suspect that many people book multiple shows, just in case, and then never bother to cancel. Thus, the stand by line about 15 minutes pre show. People here seem to report success in getting in. The late show we went to had several empty seats. Same applies to theatre shows. Howl cannot be reserved at all. Walk in only and it is usually packed, standing room only, so get there early pre opening and atand in line a bit. It won't kill you and it is worth it.

Thanks again. Is it discouraged (like Carnival) for 16/17 year olds to see "adult" comedy shows or prohibited (like RCCL) where can't make a reservation if under (can't remember if it was 18/21). They've pretty much seen it all (Netflix) and look more like college students at 6'2" so I'm not concerned about making sure they see something aimed at families with young kids.

Does the comedy show itself change (besides adult/family friendly)? That could discourage booking multiple shows. I remember Carnival would announce the "next" show is exactly the same to discourage people who had already seen it.

Hi CP3o,

I downloaded the 10 day Escape MDR menu that someone on the board posted a link to and for the life of me I can't understand why some people make out that the food there is sub par. The food comes out of the same kitchen as does the food for the specialty restaurants.

The MDR menu is just as good and if you look at the desserts they are do die for. I've sailed with NCL many times and rarely have I been disappointed with a meal or a particular item. It is very difficult to please over 2000 or more passengers every single time.

At any rate wherever you eat I hope you enjoy your meals. And don't forget the buffet there are good items there too!

happytotravel