Thoughts about pre tipping?

SheriffJoe

I don't pre tip for a few reasons.

1. There's no proof that service is better with pre tipping.

2. If service is bad then I'd be a bit peeved.

3. As mentioned here others do it for preferential treatment; well that comes at the cost of everyone else's service. So if someone else has paid for preferential treatment I'm already back in the line so why spend more.

I don't consider requests like daily ice or extra towels to be special requests. They are covered as standard items

But Plumbers and electrictricians aren't in the tourism business, so I do discern a difference there. this is kind of like comparing apples to oranges, but since you brought it up, we do tip delivery people, those who install our office furniture, those who deliver our appliances and furniture, and those who install our floors, and my husband also receives generous tips many times after doing construction projects in people's homes.

In America, we are all about the tip. I love tipping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great TIP! :D

And for those that do it all the time how do you know what the standard service is instead of bribing other. Assuming others do not know because they do not do it your way is truly pompous and elite.

Thank you, now if I could only be elite on Princess all would be good and is Princess pompous status just above or just below elite? :cool: And I do know what standard service on a cruise is as I have not always pre tipped and I can ASSURE you pre tipping service is MUCH BETTER!

Edited by SheriffJoe

We have tried it both ways, tipping the first day, and waiting for the end. In my opinion, a tip or bribery the first day does create better service. It's not complicated from our end.

I agree Tripper and if said bribe does not work and service is lacking then auto tips can be removed and its all even.....most of the CC posters that CONSTANTLY post (brag) about adding tips at the end of the cruise likely do not tip any less than we do but doing it on the front end shows the tipped person that they will be taken care of so its only human nature for them to look out better for us than for someone they can only GUESS might take care of them at the end of the cruise..so for me the bottom line is if I am going to leave the auto tip in place and by the end of the cruise give a server or whomever an extra $40 why not give them the $40 up front and improve my service and then if service isn't up to par I can either remove or adjust auto tips accordingly.....its not molecular biology :cool:

Others can call it a bribe or search the internet (BTW snopes is incorrect as often as they are correct :rolleyes:) but TIPS does mean to ensure prompt service, it may not have 100 years ago but English is an evolving language and if the vast majority believes the meaning of a certain word (like TIPS) then that is in fact its definition....:D

Great TIP! :D

I'd say we are all about the tip also. Also tip in hotel rooms for number of days stayed. We are Canadians. But always after services. Of course if in pub or bar and if no tab, tips on our drinks. I don't this is limited to just American or Canadians either.[emoji1063] [emoji274]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre tipping is probably a good idea if one needs to assure attention, no matter how you behave or if you are incapable of adressing those who serve you as equals. Personally, I pay the automatic gratuities and have found the staff always friendly and attentive. Staff may have access to whom has paid the daily gratuity and who has not. There is an interesting question: Do the staff know if you are paying daily?

In non tipping countries everyone is treated equally, good performance from staff is expected and excellent service is rewarded with kind words or a letter to their employer.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Would never pre tip. We let our steward know what are preferences are. Nothing out of the ordinary really. If i pre tip him and he doesn't do a good job.

What do I do? I wouldn't tip him at the end of the week if he didn't do a good job. Its like throwing your money away. Do you then take off the auto tips because of his job and punish all the staff. I would never do that. Complain to guests services that your steward is not doing his job, maybe if it was bad enough. Pre tipping does not ensure good service. Being respectable to the staff, courteous, not speaking down to them, understanding that your not the only person they have to deal with, and they may have a bad day once in a while. Thats what gets you great service. Not waving money in there face saying this is what i want heres a 20 now do your job.

We tip the bartenders for a round of drinks in cash and at the end will also leave something for our favorite bartenders. Anytime dinning we leave a small tip every night divided up by the day on what we would normally leave if we had the same wait staff every night tipping them at the end of the cruise.

A tip is earned, in order to earn that tip, I expect them to do a good job.

Would never pre tip. We let our steward know what are preferences are. Nothing out of the ordinary really. If i pre tip him and he doesn't do a good job.

What do I do? I wouldn't tip him at the end of the week if he didn't do a good job. Its like throwing your money away. Do you then take off the auto tips because of his job and punish all the staff. I would never do that. Complain to guests services that your steward is not doing his job, maybe if it was bad enough. Pre tipping does not ensure good service. Being respectable to the staff, courteous, not speaking down to them, understanding that your not the only person they have to deal with, and they may have a bad day once in a while. Thats what gets you great service. Not waving money in there face saying this is what i want heres a 20 now do your job.

We tip the bartenders for a round of drinks in cash and at the end will also leave something for our favorite bartenders. Anytime dinning we leave a small tip every night divided up by the day on what we would normally leave if we had the same wait staff every night tipping them at the end of the cruise.

A tip is earned, in order to earn that tip, I expect them to do a good job.

Thankyou, couldn't have said it better myself. We have already paid the auto tip and then leave something for them extra in an envelope, at the end of the trip, depending on the service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pre tipping is probably a good idea if one needs to assure attention, no matter how you behave or if you are incapable of adressing those who serve you as equals. Personally, I pay the automatic gratuities and have found the staff always friendly and attentive. Staff may have access to whom has paid the daily gratuity and who has not. There is an interesting question: Do the staff know if you are paying daily?

In non tipping countries everyone is treated equally, good performance from staff is expected and excellent service is rewarded with kind words or a letter to their employer.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I agree, I get great service just by being nice to the staff. I don't have to bribe them.

Sometime back, I cannot remember the Princess Cruise we tipped our cabin attendant $20 when we first got into our room and did not make a big deal out of it. We did not notice any special attention. She did not even put little towel animals on our bed when she turned it down and that's when they did it regularly. So now we wait until the end of the cruise before committing anything extra.

John