Key Account

Barklee

I'm fairly new to the board and love all the great information. What is meant by a TA being a "Key Account" with RCI? Do you get anything additional to book through a Key Account agent? Which oif the on-line TAs are Key Account? Is AAA a Key Account with RCI? I booked the Mariner for 13 Aug 06 online with RCI but want to know if it makes sense to move my reservation to a Key Account TA.

I could be wrong, but I think what people mean is that sometimes a TA will have enough dealings with the cruise company (in this case RCCL) and therefore have more clought when it comes to getting things done or helping you to accomplish something.

I could be wrong, but I think what people mean is that sometimes a TA will have enough dealings with the cruise company (in this case RCCL) and therefore have more clought when it comes to getting things done or helping you to accomplish something.

That's generally true. A Key Account is one that does enough business with RCI that they know who to call with a problem and get it handled. RCI likes to keep Key Accounts happy.

A Key Account may also earn a higher commission on every booking due to their volume. Before RCI cracked down on TA's rebating part of their commissions back to the client as a discount this was a bigger issue. A TA making 18% commission could afford to give some back to the client and still make a profit on a booking. Now that they can't rebate there's no or little cost advantage to the client.

Most of the huge cruise retailers are probably Key Accounts but unless there is something specific they can offer you I wouldn't move a booking from a TA who I was otherwise happy with. By the way, many small agencies are also Key Accounts so size alone is not the deciding factor.

Archived