Getaway - Anyone Just Back?

js

Hi.

Welcome back! I hope you all had a great cruise!

Ill be sailing next year on the Getaway and the same week as returning cruisers today.

Anyone that sailed last week get a Vibe pass? Cabana? What time did you arrive at the pier and what boarding number did you receive?

Did you have a spa cabin? Were you always able to get loungers in the spa?

Did you book all your restaurants, specialty and regular, as well as shows prior to boarding?

Was the ship full?

Did you call prior to boarding for an upgrade? If so, what did you upgrade to/from and how much extra did you spend?

Where did you stay prior to your cruise?

Thank you.

Why don't you post to the meet & greet thread for this cruise? You should get a response there.

Good luck!

Ohhh what a fantastic idea! Thanks. Ill do that at work tomorrow.

Thanks.

I was on the Getaway on the week of Feb. 21. We didn't get a Vibe pass. We arrived around 11:45 or so and had about a 15 minute wait to board after checking in. We booked all our restaurants before sailing but found them very easy to change. I'd definitely recommend booking specialty restaurants as early as possible, particularly for days late in the week as those filled up by mid-week. The ship's pricing suggested it was close to full but never really felt it except for around the main pool on sea days (like most ships). No upgrade efforts. We stayed at Fontainebleu on Miami Beach the Saturday night before sailing, and the Marriott Harbor resort in Ft. Lauderdale the night we got off the ship. Pricey but big thumbs up for both. Have a great trip.

I was on the Getaway on the week of Feb. 21. We didn't get a Vibe pass. We arrived around 11:45 or so and had about a 15 minute wait to board after checking in. We booked all our restaurants before sailing but found them very easy to change. I'd definitely recommend booking specialty restaurants as early as possible, particularly for days late in the week as those filled up by mid-week. The ship's pricing suggested it was close to full but never really felt it except for around the main pool on sea days (like most ships). No upgrade efforts. We stayed at Fontainebleu on Miami Beach the Saturday night before sailing, and the Marriott Harbor resort in Ft. Lauderdale the night we got off the ship. Pricey but big thumbs up for both. Have a great trip.

Thank you. You were on during President's Week so good to hear didn't feel too crowded. Will stay in Miami and also thought about Fountainebleu. Thanks for your update. Can't seem to find anyone that just returned LOL Thank you for answering my questions.

I was on the Feb 21 sailing as well. Didn't get a Vibe pass or Cabana. We arrived at the pier quite early, around 10:30. It took all of 15 minutes to drop off our bags, go through security and get our cards. We then entered the waiting area for about an hour and a bit. The boarding number situation has been talked about before on the forums but its a bit weird. The side I was on was even numbers and we were 16. I believe they start at 10 or something. It didn't make much sense to me. There were two staff at the entry to the ship checking numbers so it makes it harder to sneak through if you had a different number. I think we actually got to board just after noon. We had planned on going to Flamingo grill for lunch right away but ended up at the buffet instead. Rooms were ready a bit after two I believe.

Didn't do anything with the spa's.

I reserved all our dinners before we left (months before). We were a group of 7 so I figured it would be easier to do it ahead of time rather than take our chances for a table. We only did the "complimentary" restaurants with the exception of the illusionarium. I booked a mix of the three MDR's. One night we were passing Shanghai and saw a table so we just stopped and ate there instead. Another night we had booked for 5:30 but had a late lunch so we took a chance and went to Taste at around 7 and had no problem getting a table right away.

I booked Burn the Floor and Legally Blond beforehand as well. I didn't book the comedy shows but we had no issue getting into the late shows as "standby" guests. Lots of room. Had to go to Howl at the Moon fairly early to get a table for the first show. I think the second show later on in the week was not nearly as full.

It was hard to tell if the ship was full or not. Its a huge ship and people are well spread out so it was never overwhelming. Any spot we went to we didn't have much trouble finding a table or chairs. We spent most nights (late nights) at O'Sheehans and we always had a table or a spot at the bar.

I never bothered calling for an upgrade.

We stayed the night before in Miami at the Red Roof Plus Miami Airport. Got a good deal on LMTCLub. It is what you would expect for $115 and it really caters to cruise guests. Free pickup from the airport and free shuttle drop off at the Port. You just need to book your shuttle time when you check in. There is literally nothing around it though. We got in late so we ordered a pizza and went to bed.

Hope this was helpful.

Just off the Getaway 2/28 - 3/6 cruise. To answer your vibe\cabana question after doing research prior and knowing how quickly they sell cabana's out my party of 4 - two couples, decided it was worth waiting in port 2 hours+ (rather then hanging at hotel) for a the chance to get a cabana. We got to port around 9:20 and got into group 1. Were we got lucky is at around 11:45 I was in route to ask a NCL employee when they were boarding and literally when I got with 2 feet of him he announced: "Now boarding group 1". My luck resulted in being the first to board the ship after Haven guests, and groups with priority to board.

We were able to get 2 Cabana's and was without question one of the highlights of the cruise. All 4 of us would tell you the 2 hour port wait was worth it to have the Cabana for the week. The pool area is severely over crowded worse then any ship (Allure, IOS, Fantasy) we have cruised in recent years. Unfortunately I cannot tell you how soon they sold out but I do know 2 other Cabana's went afterwards as I recognized the people in line behind us at guest services when I saw them in the Vibe.

If you and\or your fellow cruisers like music and a lively pool scene I recommend Spice H2O - which is a cool area too, however, if you like quiet and the guarantee of seat when YOU want to go to the pool deck plus being a tad spoiled (there is private bar and hot tub) then I would recommend vibe and cabana if possible. One thing I would also add is having the vibe passes gave our party of 4 options - we did do H2O a couple of times as well as hang at the pool during one of our port days. But we also had the option to get the quiet time at the vibe - great option to have during sea days!

IMHO if budget is tight I would forgo an excursion on a port day and make the vibe passes be an excursion onto itself. You have access for the week - the peace of mind of always having a place to lounge made it worth it. There is no doubt when we travel NCL again we would absolutely grab vibe passes and try for a cabana.

Just off the Getaway 2/28 - 3/6 cruise. To answer your vibe\cabana question after doing research prior and knowing how quickly they sell cabana's out my party of 4 - two couples, decided it was worth waiting in port 2 hours+ (rather then hanging at hotel) for a the chance to get a cabana. We got to port around 9:20 and got into group 1. Were we got lucky is at around 11:45 I was in route to ask a NCL employee when they were boarding and literally when I got with 2 feet of him he announced: "Now boarding group 1". My luck resulted in being the first to board the ship after Haven guests, and groups with priority to board.

We were able to get 2 Cabana's and was without question one of the highlights of the cruise. All 4 of us would tell you the 2 hour port wait was worth it to have the Cabana for the week. The pool area is severely over crowded worse then any ship (Allure, IOS, Fantasy) we have cruised in recent years. Unfortunately I cannot tell you how soon they sold out but I do know 2 other Cabana's went afterwards as I recognized the people in line behind us at guest services when I saw them in the Vibe.

If you and\or your fellow cruisers like music and a lively pool scene I recommend Spice H2O - which is a cool area too, however, if you like quiet and the guarantee of seat when YOU want to go to the pool deck plus being a tad spoiled (there is private bar and hot tub) then I would recommend vibe and cabana if possible. One thing I would also add is having the vibe passes gave our party of 4 options - we did do H2O a couple of times as well as hang at the pool during one of our port days. But we also had the option to get the quiet time at the vibe - great option to have during sea days!

IMHO if budget is tight I would forgo an excursion on a port day and make the vibe passes be an excursion onto itself. You have access for the week - the peace of mind of always having a place to lounge made it worth it. There is no doubt when we travel NCL again we would absolutely grab vibe passes and try for a cabana.

Thank you so much! Im leaving my family at home and it will just be my mom and I cruising so we want the relaxing quiet lol. I plan on getting to port for 9 am-9:15 am. I told my mom that when we are called I will meet her in Guest Services so I can quickly go ahead without waiting for her since she walks very slow.

We have a soa balcony so having the spa and the Vibe will be wonderful.

Thanks so much for your detailed response.

Had to go to Howl at the Moon fairly early to get a table for the first show. I think the second show later on in the week was not nearly as full.

/QUOTE]

Howl at the Moon isn't open every night?

Had to go to Howl at the Moon fairly early to get a table for the first show. I think the second show later on in the week was not nearly as full.

/QUOTE]

Howl at the Moon isn't open every night?

Nope. The group performs 3 times during the cruises we were on. The other nights the comedians do 3 shows, alrpternating performers. The venue is shared.

Watch your dailies so you can make sure to catch the fun.

Howl at the Moon is one of the highlights of the Getaway for us!

Nope. The group performs 3 times during the cruises we were on. The other nights the comedians do 3 shows, alrpternating performers. The venue is shared.

Watch your dailies so you can make sure to catch the fun.

Howl at the Moon is one of the highlights of the Getaway for us!

Thank you! My son is a general manager of a "Big Bang Piano Bar" and it is SO MUCH FUN. Of course, I assumed Howl at the Moon would be open every night like Big Bang. Will definitely watch the dailies for when it's there!

First time heard of Vibe / Cabanas on Getaway. First time booking NCL, sailing Getaway in November. What is Vibe? How much do you have to pay for Vibe passes or Cabana reservations? Can you only book on board? Also anyone know anything about the Spa? How much are daily / weekly passes? What is included with spa pass? Worth it?

• 10 months later...
Hi. Has anyone on CC just returned from Getaway this week?

Thanks!

Returned Sunday, Jan 29.

Ship was crowded and noisy.

Food in alternate 'free' restaurants (O'Sheehans, Savor, Taste) was the same as main dining rooms (not good, except for steak diane and prime rib nights), but better service. Get there early. Noodles was great Asian food, but very tiny...get there when it opens.

Side trips: segway adventure and snorkle/catamaran. We three sisters had to quit segway trip before it ended...painful to feet and lower back, but great/safe team to work with with. Left at fun bar/beach with taxi ticket back to pier.

Heard rooms were small, but these are tiny. Table between beds was about 8" wide. Don't plan to leave a glass or glasses on it. Your pillow will knock them off. Room steward wasn't great. Left towels on the floor??

Embarkation went quickly since we arrived around two. Went to buffet and enjoyed the selection. Room was ready with bags.

Debarkation was a zoo. We left last since sister needed a wheelchair. We four siblings got sick, and she was in bad shape. Even leaving last, people were stacked up in terrible lines. We zipped right past...saving over a half an hour...I'm sure.

Take your time checking luggage for pickup. Our 'helper' took my bag, put it on his trolley, added another persons bag and then just took off. When he returned, we told him there was an extra bag; so he took one off. I didn't check....it was mine. So, we drove home with another similar bag and have had quite a hassle tracking mine and returning the other.

No bar soap in bath, no clock on tv or in room, no electricity in bath for shaver, need to leave your guest card in the slot to turn on lights and keep electricity running at night.

Long walks on piers to shore. Shops are the same. Drink package and food not free on the island....$$$

Layout of the ship is a tad confusing. Ship seemed dark.

You always get the good news, I'm just sharing some of the quirks. Know you'll have a fantastic time.

Bea

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Bea. I am aware about the clocks and after my phone not keeping correct time in August on my cruise just purchased a travel clock for end of the month. I always bring my own soap so thats not a problem and directions confuse me in general so layout of any ship Ill get lost lol

I was surprised on Breakaway there werent any outlets in the bathroom and it was somewhat annoying but made due.

Thats awful about the towels! I guess you were able to find the Steward and get clean ones. I would hate that aftwr coming back from port or sea day and ready to take a shower and not have fresh towels. That is one thing I very much appreciate on a cruise, fresh towels lol. I do about 2-3 loads of laundry a day eigher before/after work and always have so many towels. Love I can always have fresh ones on a cruise...aaahhh little things lol

What did you guys do at night? What was your favorite place to relax and have a drink or eat?

Getting Vibe passes was stressing out this Type A gal so we opted for Spa Haven. More money for the convenience but we enjoy sailing on the Breakaway in Haven so Im hoping Getaway will be just as relaxing between spa and haven.

Sorry your sister was sick. Hope she is feeling better.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums