Anyone Recently taken Gate 1 Danube Cruise?

ninaks

We are taking the new Gate 1 ship in September on the Danube. I have been on Viking before and I was wondering if anyone has been on both Viking and Gate 1 and can compare the food and service. Gate 1 is less expensive so I am not expecting them to be the same but would like an idea of what to expect. Also, how were the tour guides. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you

• 1 month later...

We are looking forward to our 5th river cruise with Gate 1 in the fall. Our four previous experiences have been wonderful: accommodations, food, tours, guides, service, and staff. Gate 1 has gone out of their way to provide more than expected when water levels were not ideal, to provide local one time experiences not on the itinerary, and to provide the unexpected in extra hospitality.The staff and crews have been wonderful!!! Having experienced various trips with ocean cruise lines, but not with other river cruise lines, I can comment only on what we have seen on other river ships, from talking to other cruise line passengers, and from price comparisons. At no time have we felt that we were getting less from Gate 1; quite the opposite since we are now booked for our 5th river cruise with them.

We are looking forward to our 5th river cruise with Gate 1 in the fall. Our four previous experiences have been wonderful: accommodations, food, tours, guides, service, and staff. Gate 1 has gone out of their way to provide more than expected when water levels were not ideal, to provide local one time experiences not on the itinerary, and to provide the unexpected in extra hospitality.The staff and crews have been wonderful!!! Having experienced various trips with ocean cruise lines, but not with other river cruise lines, I can comment only on what we have seen on other river ships, from talking to other cruise line passengers, and from price comparisons. At no time have we felt that we were getting less from Gate 1; quite the opposite since we are now booked for our 5th river cruise with them.

This is wonderful to hear. We start our trip with Gate 1 in Warsaw on Sept 6, embark the Monarch Empress in Budapest on Sept 11, disembark on Sept 18 and continue on to Prague for three days. This is our first river cruise and our first trip with Gate 1. We're going to let them take care of us!

• 2 weeks later...
This is wonderful to hear. We start our trip with Gate 1 in Warsaw on Sept 6, embark the Monarch Empress in Budapest on Sept 11, disembark on Sept 18 and continue on to Prague for three days. This is our first river cruise and our first trip with Gate 1. We're going to let them take care of us!

So good to hear from someone on the September 6 tour! This is our first river cruise and also our first experience with Gate 1 and we chose it for the itinerary which checks off some of our remaining bucket list. Two couples we know have done land tours with them and were very pleasantly surprised with their experiences so we are hopeful that ours will be the same. The Monarch Empress looks lovely.

Laurel

So good to hear from someone on the September 6 tour! This is our first river cruise and also our first experience with Gate 1 and we chose it for the itinerary which checks off some of our remaining bucket list. Two couples we know have done land tours with them and were very pleasantly surprised with their experiences so we are hopeful that ours will be the same. The Monarch Empress looks lovely.

Laurel

It's a bucket list trip for us, also. I first saw this itinerary several years ago and had been keeping an eye on it. The new ship tipped the scales for us. Looking forward to meeting you.

Marie

It's a bucket list trip for us, also. I first saw this itinerary several years ago and had been keeping an eye on it. The new ship tipped the scales for us. Looking forward to meeting you.

Marie

We had thought of doing a land tour to those destinations but decided this would be easier and hopefully it will capture the essence of each place. Our daughter taught in Krakow several years ago and we are so happy we will get to see what she loves so much. Are you planning on taking any of the optional tours?

Laurel

We already signed up for 4 of the optional tours: the Wieliczka Salt Mine, the Budapest Jewish Interest tour, the Viennese Concert, and Cesky Krumlov. The chance of us getting back to this part of Europe again is pretty slim, so we decided to do all that interest us.

• 4 months later...
Can you tell me if I can buy local wines and enjoy them on the boat or will they be held by the crew? Also, what is the attire for dinner? Lastly, how enjoyable was the dinner show in Budapest?

When is your trip? The cruise portion of our trip is September 11 to September 18 and this is our first river cruise so I have no idea the answer to your wine question. About dinner attire, from everything I've read smart casual is recommended: slacks and collared shirt for men, slacks and blouse/sweater or dress for women. Nothing fancy. My posting during the trip will be dependent on WiFi and time, but I sure hope to get some word out about our hopefully wonderful trip!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Can you tell me what currency we should bring on the Danube river cruise. Thanks

Germany, Austria, and Slovakia use the Euro. Hungary's currency is Florints and the Czech Republic uses Koronas. Our trip started in Poland, which uses Zloties. We did an anaylsis of the itinerary and purchased a little of each from our bank prior to the trip. Most, but not all restaurants and shops take credit cards and you won't use money on the ship. All charges there go on your hotel account and will be charged to your card on file in Euros. We used our Capital One card that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee. We also on occasion gave tips to drivers and guides in US dollars.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Our four previous experiences have been wonderful: accommodations, food, tours, guides, service, and staff. ...At no time have we felt that we were getting less from Gate 1; quite the opposite since we are now booked for our 5th river cruise with them.

I will second this. Our experience with Gate1 was as described.

There is no issue with wine or liquor brought on board. Wines and beer are served at dinner. The only issue is bringing your own bottle into the lounge area...it's not allowed. You can bring your own drinks in, but not the bottles. Many bring their full glasses from dinner to the evening activity. (Be prepared to participate.)

Euros were accepted everywhere en route from Budapest to Amsterdam. Pay attention to the exchange rates so you aren't cheated. Credit cards were in universal use - but your card must have the RF chip.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if there is laundry on the Monarch Baroness? We are extending our trip in Paris after our cruise in April and were hoping the ship had a laundry so that we can pack a bit lighter.

Thanks for the help!