Room Service - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly?

We had room service for breakfast twice on the Radiance last summer. The first time was the morning we tendered in Icy Straight Point. Eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, fresh fruit. Arrived at the time we requested. The hot food was hot and the fruit properly chilled. Ate it out on the balcony. Maybe it was the setting, but we thought it was wonderful. We ordered it again on our last sea day. The food was still good, but it was too cold (somewhere between Ketchikan and Vancouver) to eat on the balcony that morning with the ship moving.

The last cruise last fall, we got some room service cards w/o the Country Breakfast (hot items). I asked the steward, and he got us the cards w/ Country Breakfast. So, I'm wondering if they either vary the cards by room category or are downgrading their menus.

Interesting observation. I'm part of a family reunion group so I'll have to test that theory on Liberty in November. We have people staying in different categories ranging from inside staterooms to Royal Family Suites.

Interesting observation. I'm part of a family reunion group so I'll have to test that theory on Liberty in November. We have people staying in different categories ranging from inside staterooms to Royal Family Suites.

The Royal Family Suite should have a more enhanced room service menu. When we stayed in the GS, we had a fancier room service menu. But we didn't get what we ordered, because we ordered before the dining room opened.

The afternoon spinach dip with wine sounds like my kind of snack! My sister & I like to order fruit and/or pastries with coffee in the morning to enjoy on our balcony. We then get our showers, get dressed and head to breakfast;) We also keep an envelope with 10-15 dollar bills handy for the tips.

Edited by CruisanSusan

Room Service is one of my favorite things about vacation. There's just something wonderfully indulgent about having the food brought to your room and being able to eat in bed.

My last cruise on Liberty, however, was the WORST room service I've ever experienced. Three different times, I ordered something around 10pm. (Usually spinach dip and a cheese plate.) The shortest of those delivery times was over TWO HOURS! I was actually asleep by the time they brought it. Items were forgotten, food was cold and nobody seemed to think that two hours was excessive - even when the menu only had a handful of items. The general excuse was that it was spring break and the ship was full. I sure hope that the crew has turned over, and things have changed by next April when I am back on Liberty.

Room Service is one of my favorite things about vacation. There's just something wonderfully indulgent about having the food brought to your room and being able to eat in bed.

My last cruise on Liberty, however, was the WORST room service I've ever experienced. Three different times, I ordered something around 10pm. (Usually spinach dip and a cheese plate.) The shortest of those delivery times was over TWO HOURS! I was actually asleep by the time they brought it. Items were forgotten, food was cold and nobody seemed to think that two hours was excessive - even when the menu only had a handful of items. The general excuse was that it was spring break and the ship was full. I sure hope that the crew has turned over, and things have changed by next April when I am back on Liberty.

Two hours is a long wait. I remember on Navigator we ordered around 10:30 and it took almost an hour and we were getting ready for bed by the time the food came.

Room service for breakfast last year on Adventure was disappointing. By the time it arrived, the "powdered" scrambled eggs were cold. Some of the items requested on the door hanger menu were not delivered. Only the fruit was tasty. Maybe late night room service is the better route to go in the future.

Room service for breakfast last year on Adventure was disappointing. By the time it arrived, the "powdered" scrambled eggs were cold. Some of the items requested on the door hanger menu were not delivered. Only the fruit was tasty. Maybe late night room service is the better route to go in the future.

We only did the breakfast (promenade room, no suite perks there) once via door hangar room service. We weren't too impressed and although it did save us time in the morning so we could get off the ship earlier to explore the port, hubby and I agreed to do breakfast in the Windjammer or MDR from that point on. But we thought the snack/late night food was always decent.

We love the spinach dip too, and the cheese platter goes nicely with a glass of wine on the balcony :)

Now that Royal allows you to bring two bottles, this is even easier to do [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's my favorite! My husband and I always order breakfast and sit on our balcony. We order eggs, bacon, toast, fruit, cereal, coffee and tea. We tend to do it on port days to save time and skip the windjammer. Also serves as our wake up call! The height on the table doesn't bother us we stack the plates and covers. Just so happy to sit outside enjoying our balcony. After reading other post seems we were fortunate never had an issue with food being cold, very burning hot but not bad considering its room service. Think you need to go in with clear expectations.

This is summer will be our visit cruise as a family! Excited to bring our 16 month old twins! We definitely plan on using room service for breakfast, snacks during nap time and maybe even order some wine to sit on the balcony at night while the kiddos sleep!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Is the room service menu all from same kitchen, or is it based on what kind of dining the ship offers?

ie burgers, sandwiches, fried chicken, etc. Im wondering since the Jewel will lose its SeaView and so far no info about park cafe.

We have a 5yrs old so one of us, we`re 11 ppl in total, will probably stay in the room when he goes to bed and late night snacks/food on the balcony will be required. Also looking forward to queit balcony breakfasts. :)

This is summer will be our visit cruise as a family! Excited to bring our 16 month old twins! We definitely plan on using room service for breakfast, snacks during nap time and maybe even order some wine to sit on the balcony at night while the kiddos

Wow twin toddlers! Good luck [emoji16] our 2 year old will have her first cruise in November and she loves chicken but sometimes her appetite is off our schedules. Room service will be great. I'm hoping we can order warm milk for her. She loves it right before bed, however we are about to start potty training, so that may change soon.

Is the room service menu all from same kitchen, or is it based on what kind of dining the ship offers?

ie burgers, sandwiches, fried chicken, etc. Im wondering since the Jewel will lose its SeaView and so far no info about park cafe.

We have a 5yrs old so one of us, we`re 11 ppl in total, will probably stay in the room when he goes to bed and late night snacks/food on the balcony will be required. Also looking forward to queit balcony breakfasts. :)

Not sure on where the food exactly comes from on the ship. But totally get you on using the balcony after kiddos go to bed [emoji16]

• 3 weeks later...

My girls, then 20, 17 & 16 decided room service was too cool to miss out on when we were in Independence in October. We shared an inside cabin so room was limited but we went for it one night when we were too tired to go for a walk on deck for a snack. We got cookies, pizza and nachos. There was more than enough food for snacks and they had fun with the whole idea of room service. It was certainly nothing outstanding but it was something they wanted to do...and it was free (of course we did tip the person who brought the food).

Unless your in a suite and ordering room service for dining from the MDR, your choices are limited at best.

If you even get what you ordered it's likely to be cold by the time it arrives. They always forget items ordered, or things like silverware. Pizza is like cardboard, burgers are ok, breakfast is nothing special.

We always order "pre-breakfast" and enjoy coffee, fruit and a roll on the balcony in the morning.

My girls, then 20, 17 & 16 decided room service was too cool to miss out on when we were in Independence in October. We shared an inside cabin so room was limited but we went for it one night when we were too tired to go for a walk on deck for a snack. We got cookies, pizza and nachos. There was more than enough food for snacks and they had fun with the whole idea of room service. It was certainly nothing outstanding but it was something they wanted to do...and it was free (of course we did tip the person who brought the food).

Nachos? I didn't see that on the menu someone posted earlier. Was it chips and a cheese dip or like cheese poured over a plate of chips

No guarantee, but they did it for me on Allure. I plan to ask again on Liberty in about 40 days:D

Who do you call to ask for special food or food from the MDR? I will be in a balcony room, not a suite, on Independence later this month.

Who do you call to ask for special food or food from the MDR? I will be in a balcony room, not a suite, on Independence later this month.

Not sure what you are asking, but if you have special dietary needs, contact [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse].

I had asked earlier in this thread and not sure it was answered: I am curious about the cheese plate from RS. Is it the same, similar, of completely different to the cheese plate you get for dessert in the MDR? That one has 3 types of cheeses, a small piece of dried cracker/toast business, and usually a fig. Gotta say - not loving it. :(

Is the Room Service cheese plate more cheese and crackers kind of thing? Thanks.

I had asked earlier in this thread and not sure it was answered: I am curious about the cheese plate from RS. Is it the same, similar, of completely different to the cheese plate you get for dessert in the MDR? That one has 3 types of cheeses, a small piece of dried cracker/toast business, and usually a fig. Gotta say - not loving it. :(

Is the Room Service cheese plate more cheese and crackers kind of thing? Thanks.

Very similar cheese plate from room service. However, room service is flexible, if you want more crackers or cheese, just ask.

Not sure what you are asking, but if you have special dietary needs, contact [noparse]special_needs@rccl.com[/noparse].

I was asking the PP who had figured out how to get eggs Benedict and other food items that are usually reserved for suites.

Nachos? I didn't see that on the menu someone posted earlier. Was it chips and a cheese dip or like cheese poured over a plate of chips

That was me. What we did was order the spinach dip, which comes with chips and I asked if we could have some melted cheese on the side, which they happily supplied in a small bowl.