Go pro camera....

I have a GoPro Hero4 Silver. Love it. I also have highend DSLR equipment and lenses. While not a professional photographer, I am an accomplished photog. I also use it on my Drone in the air and Scuba Diving.

I love my GoPro. I use it as much for pictures as I do videos. You have to realize the photos take on a different look because of the fish-eye lens but that in and of itself can be very cool.

The issue is that they are small, tiny camera's. If you get anything other than the Silver you do not get any kind of rear display LCD and that makes it very difficult to operate and you don't get to see what you are filming until afterwards.

I use my GoPro for both. The best perk is that it is waterproof so I have no worries and I can take it anywhere. My other half also usually brings a waterproof digital camera.

Downfall with most GoPros is the lack of a preview screen, it's a crapshoot on what you are actually getting a picture of and the quality. Keep that thing still while taking pictures. I will put it on "burst" mode and have it take a picture every 1 second and hold it for a few takes...weed out the bad ones later.

I use a waterproof digital camera. If need be I attach it to a selfie stick. Best of both worlds. I dont have a use for connecting a camera to a helmet or to my clothing or anything like that. I think Go Pros are for people who are going to be taking really active shots. I have dropped my camera in water before and had no problems, even with a 3 inch screen. It depends on what your using it for.

The wife tried a Go Pro and liked it. Once we added up all the accessories to go with it (tray w/lights, selfie stick, red and close up lens, extra battery, case, ect), it was over a grand. Also it was a little tricky to set it up to do what we wanted, our fault-not the camera. So our local dive shop recommended Intova. Basically the same thing but under $500 for everything. Amazon had some kits for as little as $250. Also it was much easier to use.

• 1 month later...
We absolutely LOVE our go-pro! We always bring it on every vacation and create the best memory videos with the footage.

Below are a couple of examples.

Carnival Paradise:

Carnival Glory:

We are taking our first cruise as a family, and I would really LOVE to document it just like you did. I've been contemplating purchasing a gopro, but I'm curious about the storage capacity. Will I beagle to video and snap pics during the whole 7 days without having to download until I get home? Also, what editing software did you use?

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice you can offer!