Filing a Claim RE: Portable O2 for Cruise

Cruseforme

DH and I rented a portable O2 concentrator from Special Needs at Sea for our 3 week extended cruise in December. DH has 24 x 7 oxygen requirement from Dr, and obtained a perscription for it to travel (we also have an Inogen g2 owned, but like to rent one just in case, when traveling as ours did break last year on a Mexican cruise). We called my husbands AARP Medicare Advange program and supposedly received permission (supposedly, as now they are saying we didn't, even though we have dates and peoples names written down). United Healthcare AARP advantage program has refused to pay for the O2 now, and they said Special Needs at Sea is not a Medicare authorized provider, and as such they have no 'contract', so they do not have to reimburse us. We have filed two grievances with UHC, and both have been denied. Anyone else have problems similar to this? If not, just a warning when traveling, all Medicare Advantage programs are NOT equal. You can be dang sure, that come next signup period we will be switching. We will be using Special Needs at Sea again, as they provide an excellent service.

To the best of my knowledge Medicare ( whether conventional or an advantage plan) does not cover durable medical rental supplies from either Special Needs at Seas and or Care Vacations as they are not approved Medicare suppliers. Regrettably the agent you spoke to with the Medicare Advantage program provided incorrect information. Medicare has the final say in such matters and not the insurance company providing your advantage plan. Doubt that switching Medicare Advantage Plans will change the outcome for future rentals.

Have been renting Mobility Scooters from Care Vacations for many years. Though I have RX for it Medicare nor my Medicare Supplement will accept a claim since it's not an approved Medicare provider . Therefore I apply the rental cost towards the possibility of meeting the Federal threshold to qualify for a medical deduction on Federal income taxes. That's about all you can do and even at that the threshold qualify is high so not able to always take the deduction. Therefore I roll the cost of any durable medical rental into my cruise budget and plan accordingly.

Edited by xxoocruiser