Ever order more than one at speciality restaurant?

flagger

I can't imagine anyone even asking this question. I do think 2 appitizers may not be out of the question, but would anyone go to "Ruth Chris'" and ask for 2 entrees?
Several times on our last cruise one of our tablemates asked for and received 2 entrees in the main dining room. Dining on a cruise, even in the specialty restaurant, is nowhere near dining at Ruth's Chris or Morton's.

Several times on our last cruise one of our tablemates asked for and received 2 entrees in the main dining room. Dining on a cruise, even in the specialty restaurant, is nowhere near dining at Ruth's Chris or Morton's.

You are right, the specialty restaurant is better, after all Ruth"s Chris and Mortons are chains that are nothing more than a glorified Applebys:p

Phil

I must tell a cute story. Last June four of us dined on the Infinity S.S. Restaurant and when we picked out appetizers the other couple and I picked the goat cheese soufflé.

Marilyn

Just so things are accurate, I ordered the Escallop of Foie Gras, Sauce Citrus.:D

Flagger, I do remember we had a little confusion with the menu as there is a way to order but the entire table has to agree on the same thing. We didn't want to do that and were told we should/could order "one of each of the following things." which took into account the app, entrée, main, dessert and they brought a cheese tray before dessert.

None of the above means you can't "ask" for anything.

Oh, what is the booking in advance, and why?

You are right, the specialty restaurant is better, after all Ruth"s Chris and Mortons are chains that are nothing more than a glorified Applebys:p

Phil

Phil, funny you should say that as I was just giving an example and I do agree with you. I haven't eaten at Mortons, but have RCs a couple or times: never on our bill thank heavens. Not that I mind paying for an outstanding meal, but we were not totally impressed and our last venture the service wasn't up to par. Now, flagger, I disagree about specialty restaurants versus upscale restaurants on land: I put them is a very similar catagory. Ordering 2 entrees in the main dining room is different than the alternative dining rooms. This is my opinion only. NMNita

Dining on a cruise, even in the specialty restaurant, is nowhere near dining at Ruth's Chris or Morton's.

A lot of people would disagree with that statement. We've eaten at Morton's, Ruth's Chris, The Palm, Sullivan's, and most of the fine restaurants in Charleston, New Orleans, and Key West, and would put our three meals in Celebrity's specialty restaurants right up there with any of them.

Allen

And that is fine. We would have rather the meal in the dining room the night we ate there. So we will be eating there on different nights. I actually lost five pounds on my first cruise. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but we were steered away from things we wanted to try and didn't like the suggested choices AS MUCH as it was suggested we would.

Then again I find Caesar salad made in metal bowls to be somewhat annoying, and I prefer my food to be hotter than what was served in all dining venues. I know "foodies" say that warm food tastes better, I just kept wishing foods would have been hotter.

We ate in the Normandie on Summit. Prior to going, my impression was that it was a 5 course meal, so I expected appetizer, soup, salad, entree, and dessert.

Then we see the regular menu is only 3 courses. So I could only get appetizer, soup, OR salad. We don't drink alcohol, so paying extra for the 5 courses wasn't an option.

I play a little game everytime I travel, ordering Ceasar salad everywhere to find out who has the best. So I really wanted to try the Caesar salad, but also wanted to try the goat cheese souffle. I asked if I could get both and they said sure (they were making the salad anyway for my wife).

When I ordered dessert, I ordered the chocolate creme brulee. When it came, it just didn't look what I had expected, and asked the waiter if it was right. He said it was, but understood my confusion. He volunteered to bring me a small sample of the regular creme brulee.

I agree that there is so much food, even with the 3 courses. We were stuffed. We also got the extra little candies at the end. I would have like to have tried the lobster soup as well, but was too timid to ask another request, and at the end I was so full I didn't miss it!

They might be more reluctant to bring you two entrees, but maybe an extra appetizer or dessert or something per table they'd be happy to accomodate.

I play a little game everytime I travel, ordering Ceasar salad everywhere to find out who has the best. So I really wanted to try the Caesar salad, but also wanted to try the goat cheese souffle. I asked if I could get both and they said sure (they were making the salad anyway for my wife).
Us too. I want to do both the souffle and Caesar at least one of the nights, or maybe something different. I am used to fine restaurants being five courses and salad, soup/appetizers, entree, cheese and dessert are not that out of the question.

We also have to try Chinese wherever we go as well as French Onion Soup. So far the best FOS has been at Rudi Lechner's in Houston, IMHO.

Archived