Driving Questions in Spain

Shopinpat

I know all you travelers can help me with this question. We would like to rent a car from Madrid and drive to Valencia Spain spend a couple of days there and then head to Barcelona. If I have read correct it is about a 200 mile for each portion of the trip. Can someone tell me about the roads and the scenery if we do drive to these locations. We love doing the back roads and stopping along the way. Any info appreciated. We are looking to do this in September 2016. Any good car rental choices???

Thanks

For car rental can try autoeurope.eu gives different rental choices and insurance options. Also rates agencies so you can get an idea about customer service.

If you staying just in cities driving is not the best and definitely costlier option considering rental, gas & parking which is not cheap in city centers. Madrid - Valencia has high AVE train; goes very often and can be bought at 70% discount in advance (roughly in 22 euro ballpark). Valencia-Barcelona is not high speed but still not slower than driving.

Of course if plan is visit smaller places car is the way to go. Also if you are from outside EU international driving permit from AAA is needed for Spain (not to get a rental but in case stopped by police)

Edited by hkto

Spanish drivers, in my experience, take no prisoners, especially in the major cities. It is every senor for himself, and you need to drive confidently and aggressively if you want to get anywhere. It is no good, for example, waiting at a junction for a gap in the traffic so that you can pull out. It is up to you to make the gap happen!

So, if you are at all nervous, I would suggest taking a train. Having said that, once you get out of the cities, the roads are a pleasure to drive on, being relatively quiet and giving you ample time to look at the scenery.

Spanish drivers, in my experience, take no prisoners, especially in the major cities. It is every senor for himself, and you need to drive confidently and aggressively if you want to get anywhere. It is no good, for example, waiting at a junction for a gap in the traffic so that you can pull out. It is up to you to make the gap happen!

So, if you are at all nervous, I would suggest taking a train. Having said that, once you get out of the cities, the roads are a pleasure to drive on, being relatively quiet and giving you ample time to look at the scenery.

We live in Spain and actually find the Spanish quite considerate drivers; we certainly do not drive aggressively (and would be censured by the Police if we did so)!

Don't forget that if you hire a car here - and especially if you do it on the day required - you are extremely unlikely to get an automatic as most Spanish vehicles are manual transmission.

Edited by campolady

If you are staying in major cities with car look for accommodations that have affordable parking nearby. Can use parkopedia.es as a reference. From what I remember cost of underground parking around Plaza Espana where I stayed in Madrid was around 25-30 euro per day. Street parking (at least overnight) is possible outside of city centre. Every country has there own distinct curb colours indicating what type of parking is allowed.

From what I remember cost of underground parking around Plaza Espana where I stayed in Madrid was around 25-30 euro per day.

We have never paid anything like that for city centre parking - Euro 15 per day is the maximum we have ever paid (and that was for parking in a hotel car park).

Edited by campolady

We live in Spain and actually find the Spanish quite considerate drivers; we certainly do not drive aggressively (and would be censured by the Police if we did so)!

Don't forget that if you hire a car here - and especially if you do it on the day required - you are extremely unlikely to get an automatic as most Spanish vehicles are manual transmission.

Can only speak from our 10 years living in Spain. In the small villages, similar to where we lived., there was no problem, apart from double parking outside the panaderia, or stopping suddenly to talk to a friend. The cities are, in my opinion, a totally different kettle of pescados !!

Also, when driving in Spain be aware that they never use their hand rakes, so if on a hill at a red traffic light will roll back and if you haven't whizzed 50m down the road the second the lights have turned green will toot you. Also, I think Spanish cars must be manufactured without indicators, cos they never use them.

I do think that in Spanish large cities it is 'who dares wins', but I live and drive in central London so am used to it.

Thanks All.

We live in a major city in the states so driving is the same.

We were thinking of getting a car in Madrid then leavening the same day and driving to Valencia and possible staying outside of the city with the car, doing some sightseeing and then driving to Barcelona and returning the car right away.

Anyone have any must see stops along the routes mentioned or any winery stops along the way, plus possible B&B to stay at outside of Valencia?

Any info appreciated.

Parking in Valencia is not bad, just not in centre. We stayed in SILKEN PUERTA VALENCIA which is may be 40 min walk to market and 20 - to City of Science. There is some free parking there and also hotel had a garage. I don't remember exact cost I think around 12 euro. Can also email them and ask. Public transit is good and cheap. Basic 1 zone fare was 7.20 for 10 rides + cost of a card.

Hotels near beach also had parking.

Edited by hkto

Thanks all.

Does anyone know of any nice place to stay on the outskirts of Valencia or somewhere close to where the Lladro factory is?

We are also trying to figure out some stops between Madrid and Valencia and Valencia and Barcelona.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Pat

Shopinpat

Between Madrid and Valencia you could stop at:

Aranjuez - historic town about 50km outside Madrid with beautiful palace and gardens.

Cuenca- famous for the famous 'hanging houses'.

Chinchon - lovely old town and famous for its anis liqueur.

La Mancha- region renowned for windmills and Don Quijote. Also place to buy some of the best saffron in the world.

Between Valencia and Barcelona:

Sagunto- well preserved Roman fortress on hill top.

Vall D'Uxo - underground river in caves which you can visit by boat. Famous shoe factory outlet, Camper.

Peniscola - lovely old town built on isthmus in sea with connections to El Cid and the controversial Pope, Papa Luna.

Morella- lovely inland hilltop town, also with El Cid connection and famous for knitware and crochet goods.

Ebro Delta - interesting nature reserve and deserted beaches.

Tortola - historical town.

Tarragona - Roman ruins.

In Valencia you may be better staying at the beach area of Malvarosa or Saler as it would be easier to park. You could leave the car and use public transport.

For more ideas and information look on the Spanish tourist board website.

• 3 months later...
We have never paid anything like that for city centre parking - Euro 15 per day is the maximum we have ever paid (and that was for parking in a hotel car park).

Hi there.....I see you live in Spain and have offered some information on renting a car in Barcelona. We are considering this to drive to Montserrat and onto the circuit de catalunya before returning to the cruise port. Would this be a relatively easy drive?

We live very near Toronto Canada with 12 lanes of highway so traffic doesn't typically intimidate us but we have yet to drive in Spain.

• 2 weeks later...

Your experience is partly incorrect. We are as carefull drivers as in any other civilized countries in the world. Except for one thing. Take care when crossing a zebra crossing. Most of us do stop some other sometimes. But in terms of traffic lights, give ways and so on nothing to worry about.

We get heavy fines for speeding and we are not more than aggressive than driving in any other western country. Too many clitches about us

Your experience is partly incorrect. We are as carefull drivers as in any other civilized countries in the world. Except for one thing. Take care when crossing a zebra crossing. Most of us do stop some other sometimes. But in terms of traffic lights, give ways and so on nothing to worry about.

We get heavy fines for speeding and we are not more than aggressive than driving in any other western country. Too many clitches about us

Having lived and driven in Spain for 10 years I stand by my original post. You might also care to look at the number of road deaths per head of population in Spain compared to the UK. In 2015 the figure was 3.7 fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants, compared to 2.9 in the UK.

Having lived and driven in Spain for 10 years I stand by my original post. You might also care to look at the number of road deaths per head of population in Spain compared to the UK. In 2015 the figure was 3.7 fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants, compared to 2.9 in the UK.

I know british do things in a better way. Appart from our low skills while driving have you ever considered the fact that roads in the UK are much better and car usually newer?. Perhaps it would help to find explanations about it.

Clitches are bad.

Edited by keltic