Late Honeymooner Torn Between W. Caribbean Ports

AmyW820

I feel so bad Jamaica is getting such a bad rap. My first time in Jamaica was a land vacay and I was by myself and I never once felt unsafe. I said no and kept it moving and I wasn't bothered. My next cruise I'm going to Ochi (not a fan but that's because I love Negril so much) and Grand Cayman. I would love to make it a 7 day and not a 5 day but its during Christmas time when the prices are significantly higher and I'm trying soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hard to stick to a budget. Whatever choice you make I'm sure you and your husband will have an awesome time!!!!

Hello! Thank you for replying! I didn't think really any of these places were unsafe as long as you stay in the tourist-y area and don't roam around aimlessly after dark! I hope people aren't doing that and then saying Jamaica isn't safe...:confused:

I have never been to Negril but have seen pictures and it is beautiful! Have you been to Grand Cayman before? And between the Grand Cayman/Ocho Rios itinerary and the Mahogany Bay/Belize itinerary, which would you choose?

For a honeymoon you easily have to do 7 nights minimum. We have tried a few shorter cruises and they really do not give you the real cruise experience. Seven nights will be perfect and will allow you to really relax and partake in most of what the ship has to offer. My fiance and I are also doing our honeymoon on the ship and we chose a longer cruise for ours as well. All of the 7 day itineraries look great, I would pick the cheapest so you can indulge on excursions and some spa treatments

Hey there, thanks for the reply! Yeah, I have definitely decided 7 day would be better and I have narrowed it down to #2 and #3 because those dates are most convenient for us.

I would go with the 7 day if you can. 5 days is not really enough time to experience everything. I am not a big fan of Belize. I really did not care for it. Cozumel is my favorite port. Jamaica is beautiful, but people can be pushy there, especially when it comes to marijuana. But its not that bad. I have been to both Ochos Rios and Montego and preferred Ochos Rios a little more. But in MOntego bay Carnival had a hop on/hop off bus for $10 pp (which you could pay with your on board account) that stopped at the shopping center, beach, margaritaville, and a few other places. That was good for us. I like Margaritaville. :D Yes it is a tourist trap, but they have a cool slide into the water and its a fun environment.

Hello! We are definitely going to do the 7 day instead of 5 now. So can you tell me why you didn't care for Belize? And why did you prefer Ocho Rios more than Montego?

We have it narrowed down to #2 and #3 so that pretty much only excludes Montego, but I am interested in why you didn't like Belize.

Thank you for responding!

When we went to Jamaica last year I think we stopped at Montego Bay and we went to the Great Hope House. Don't do it. We didn't like it.

When we went to the Cayman's we went to seven mile beach and snorkeled there. We had a blast.

Hi there, thank you for replying! We have it narrowed down to #2 and #3 so Montego Bay won't be an option at that point. Is the Great Hope House like a tour of some kind? That doesn't really sound like something we would do anyway, but I am curious as to why you didn't like it?

In Cayman, did you swim with any wildlife or just snorkel right off the beach?

We just did a 7-day that included: Grand Cayman, Mahogany Bay, Belize, and Cozumel.

In Grand Cayman, we did the Dolphin and Stingray encounter. Make sure you pick the right excursion. Get the Dolphin one that includes being pushed by the dolphin, and being pulled by the dolphin.

In Mahogany Bay, we did the Snuba excursion. It was ok. Snuba is half way between snorkling and scuba diving. It was a unique experience. However, the site also had Zip Line, monkey tour, and its own beach. The beach at the cruise dock is quite crowded, so the private beach on the snuba excursion was nice. Also, they only charged $35 USD to do the zip line, so I took them up on that offer.

In Belize, we did the excursion to the Myan ruins.

In Cozumel, we did the Amazing River excursion. It is run by Rio Secreto.

Hello, thank you for replying! The dolphin one sounds like a blast! Thanks for mentioning that.

And I have heard about snuba-ing and was somewhat interested in it. Zip line eh? I would want to do that but I might have to drag hubby along for that one. lol

Would you go back to Belize and relax on the beach next time if you did? We aren't super interested in seeing the ruins (at least not our first go around -maybe next time!) so I was wondering if the beaches were nice, if you knew.

And I have actually looked into the secret river in Cozumel and it looks awesome! You didn't encounter any spiders or snakes in there did you? :eek:

It would be either 3 or 4 for me. By a good bit. I've never been to Jamaica so I might lean to 3.

Hello, we have it narrowed down to 2 and 3 - so why would you not choose 2? Been there done that? Jamaica (Ocho Rios, specifically) is the one port we are torn on the most. Thank you for replying!

Skip the 5 day cruise, before you know it your honeymoon will be over. Heres something to remember, one full cruise day is your embarkation and debarkation day. For example, a 5 day cruise only has 4 full days of cruising. Belize, and Jamaica are not my favorite Islands. Grand Caymen you can take a bus to 7 mile beach, Cozumel you can do beach excursion, and I would choose Jamaica over Belize. If you go to Montego Bay, you can get a cab to the beach downtown and afterwards go to Margarettaville for a cool drink on thier deck. There are as many people who do not like Jamaica as do like it. As mentioned in one other post, the people can get pushy, and when we walked through the street in MB we were bothered by drug dealers. Go with an open mind and make your own decision. Check the excursions for dolphin and sting ray tours. Have a great cruise which ever one you choose.

Hey there, good point on the number of cruise days - didn't really think of it that way.

The popular opinion seems to be choosing Jamaica over Belize! Why do you prefer it? We won't be going to Montego Bay - if we go to Jamaica, it will be Ocho Rios because that itinerary provides more convenient dates for us.

Thank you for replying!!

Welcome to the forum! :)

I would definitely choose #4. We are cruising in Sept and our itinerary is the same as #2, only because we did Jamaica before and wanted to experience Mahagony Bay. I was on the Magic a couple years back, and my daughter did a dolphin excursion at Chankanaab (Cozumel). It was WONDERFUL! She was really struggling to be "pushed" by the dolphins so they kept working with her and taking more time with her so she could experience it. I was very impressed! She LOVED it, and she will forever remember it...

Grand Cayman was beautiful! We just took a van to the beach and spent the entire day just relaxing. Highly recommend!

We didn't know what to do in Jamaica, but in the end we chose to zipline. I am terrified of heights, but I didn't want to be the "chicken" of the group, so I sucked it up and ziplined with the rest. LOVED it! Would do it again...the guides were awesome and the hike was beautiful.

And I 100% agree with making it a 7-day vs. a 5-day. Whichever you choose I am sure you will have a great time!

Hello, thank you for the welcome, and for your input!

What would be your second choice? Turns out #4 doesn't have the dates we needed so we have it down to #2 and #3 now...

How did you like Mahogany Bay, and what did you do there?

I have heard of the Chankanaab - that sounds great. Thank you for sharing that!

A few others have mentioned the zipline too - you sound like my husband in not wanting to be the "chicken" :p I would probably have to do some heavy convincing to get him to zipline with me.

Thanks for replying!!

I would pick 2 or 3.

Two for Mahogany Bay, and three for Grand Cayman. Also, I love Cozumel, and there is lots to do there, or not to do. Lots of great beaches to relax on.

I also am not a "doer". I love my relaxing time, since I spend my time at home and at work, catering to folks, that I just love the me time that I get on a cruise, but getting back to choices;

since you like the sea and sea creatures/nature, I would probably go with the Grand Cayman cruise, and do the Stingray city tour. I got dragged (not quite kicking and screaming) there by my friends, and was the last person in the water because, I am quite nervous in the ocean, but I did go in! and wow! so happy I did! It is not likely I will ever get the chance again, but that was probably one of the best and most enjoyable things I have ever done on a cruise excursion.

Whichever you choose, happy Honeymoon! and have a great cruise:)

Edited by SMSACE6

Our cruise took us to Belize, Grand Cayman, Isla Roatan Honduras, and Costa Maya.

Grand Cayman is crazy expensive! (Even living in Chicago, we were shocked at how much more expensive Grand Cayman was.) We were there 9 years ago, and a bowl of pasta, a chicken sandwich, and 2 sodas was around $45. Shops were more expensive, tours were more expensive. We felt we didn't get to experience Grand Cayman to the extent we did the other ports, all because of the high costs. Our excursion was to a turtle farm, which was cute but nothing spectacular. We did get to hold baby sea turtles, though, which made for great pictures. The Tortuga Rum factory was so-so, but their rum cakes were phenomenal (and didn't count towards our liquor allowance, so we were allowed to bring them right on board and to our room.)

Belize was our least favorite port when we booked, and turned out to be our absolute favorite port on our itinerary. The locals are very kind and friendly, the smell of the air is unlike anything I've ever smelled. Our tour was through the rainforests on a Land Rover, lunch made by locals, and a speedboat ride up a river and back to the ship. Belize put my previous trip to Hawaii to shame. I would LOVE to go back. I strongly recommend you stop in Belize. You won't regret it.

I'd pick #2. Belize and Roatan are both gorgeous!! You'd need an excursion in Belize but not at the other 2 ports. I pick this over either itinerary with Grand Cayman because it's not prettier than the other options and is VERY pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Gopherpharm

I would pick 2 or 3.

Two for Mahogany Bay, and three for Grand Cayman. Also, I love Cozumel, and there is lots to do there, or not to do. Lots of great beaches to relax on.

I also am not a "doer". I love my relaxing time, since I spend my time at home and at work, catering to folks, that I just love the me time that I get on a cruise, but getting back to choices;

since you like the sea and sea creatures/nature, I would probably go with the Grand Cayman cruise, and do the Stingray city tour. I got dragged (not quite kicking and screaming) there by my friends, and was the last person in the water because, I am quite nervous in the ocean, but I did go in! and wow! so happy I did! It is not likely I will ever get the chance again, but that was probably one of the best and most enjoyable things I have ever done on a cruise excursion.

Whichever you choose, happy Honeymoon! and have a great cruise:)

Hey there, thanks for replying! I'm the same way when it comes to going on vacation - I like to actually "do" as little as possible! :D

Thanks for mentioning the stingray city tour - I have looked into that and would definitely sign up for it if we choose Grand Cayman.

What did you love most about Mahogany Bay?

Thanks for your input! :)

I would pick door #3. We loved Ocho Rios and swam with dolphins at Dolphin Cove. It was a very nice facility, clean, super friendly people. It's the best excursion we've ever done in 5 cruises.

Thanks so much for mentioning Dolphin Cove! Ocho Rios is a port that I haven't looked much into but swimming with dolphins is definitely something I would want to do, but didn't know was an option there.

Thank you for your input! :)

Our cruise took us to Belize, Grand Cayman, Isla Roatan Honduras, and Costa Maya.

Grand Cayman is crazy expensive! (Even living in Chicago, we were shocked at how much more expensive Grand Cayman was.) We were there 9 years ago, and a bowl of pasta, a chicken sandwich, and 2 sodas was around $45. Shops were more expensive, tours were more expensive. We felt we didn't get to experience Grand Cayman to the extent we did the other ports, all because of the high costs. Our excursion was to a turtle farm, which was cute but nothing spectacular. We did get to hold baby sea turtles, though, which made for great pictures. The Tortuga Rum factory was so-so, but their rum cakes were phenomenal (and didn't count towards our liquor allowance, so we were allowed to bring them right on board and to our room.)

Belize was our least favorite port when we booked, and turned out to be our absolute favorite port on our itinerary. The locals are very kind and friendly, the smell of the air is unlike anything I've ever smelled. Our tour was through the rainforests on a Land Rover, lunch made by locals, and a speedboat ride up a river and back to the ship. Belize put my previous trip to Hawaii to shame. I would LOVE to go back. I strongly recommend you stop in Belize. You won't regret it.

Hi there, thanks for replying!

Your cruise sounds very excursion heavy, which is awesome, but we are probably just going to enjoy beaches and swimming more than anything on this cruise.

You have been one of the only people to mention loving Belize so much - most people have seemed to favor Jamaica over Belize! What exactly does Belize smell like? Can't believe it put your Hawaii trip to shame, although I've never been to Hawaii either. Thanks for sharing. :)

I'd pick #2. Belize and Roatan are both gorgeous!! You'd need an excursion in Belize but not at the other 2 ports. I pick this over either itinerary with Grand Cayman because it's not prettier than the other options and is VERY pricey.

Hi there, thanks for sharing!

So Grand Cayman is not as pretty to you than Belize or Roatan? Interesting...

And why would I need to do an excursion in Belize?

Thank you for replying!

Hey there, thanks for replying! I'm the same way when it comes to going on vacation - I like to actually "do" as little as possible! :D

Thanks for mentioning the stingray city tour - I have looked into that and would definitely sign up for it if we choose Grand Cayman.

What did you love most about Mahogany Bay?

Thanks for your input! :)

Actually I have never been to Mahogany bay, was only in Roatan once on the Valor in 2007, when it docked in "coxen hole"? not sure of the name of the port back then, but coxen something, enjoyed it, but Mahoganey Bay looks good to me now, as I am older and not able to venture far, or do energetic tours due to some back issues and increasing age. But the local people that I interacted with in the town were really sweet, very genuine, some were pushy, and others were not. I bought a wooden carved bowl from a vendor there, and since I am not one to bargain a price down by much, the vendor threw in a shell ornament. Even just 9 years later, my back issues have become so much worse, that I find it hard to walk far from the ship, so that is why I like the idea of Mahogany bay. Lots to enjoy near the ship. I know it is not like experiencing the real local scene, but at my age, it works for me now.

Actually I have never been to Mahogany bay, was only in Roatan once on the Valor in 2007, when it docked in "coxen hole"? not sure of the name of the port back then, but coxen something, enjoyed it, but Mahoganey Bay looks good to me now, as I am older and not able to venture far, or do energetic tours due to some back issues and increasing age. But the local people that I interacted with in the town were really sweet, very genuine, some were pushy, and others were not. I bought a wooden carved bowl from a vendor there, and since I am not one to bargain a price down by much, the vendor threw in a shell ornament. Even just 9 years later, my back issues have become so much worse, that I find it hard to walk far from the ship, so that is why I like the idea of Mahogany bay. Lots to enjoy near the ship. I know it is not like experiencing the real local scene, but at my age, it works for me now.

I'm sorry to hear about your back giving you difficulty... I would love to take my dad on a cruise one day but he can't walk very far either, due to bad knees and ankles. Heck, I might just have to drag him along one day and get a balcony so he can at least have his own private "deck" :)

If we do go to Mahogany Bay, there is a place I plan on checking out called Little French Key. Apparently you can't book it through Carnival, only through their website I believe. The pictures I've seen show pools, beach access with loungers, and a swim up bar. You might want to check that out if you are a swimmer, because it looked very low impact and easy access.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Little French key is wonderful from what I have read here on reviews.

Mitsugirly, has some reviews of it on her reviews. She usually sails on NCL, but also occasionally on Carnival, and her reviews are spectacular. Not sure how to link them, but her reviews should be findable by forum searches.

Check those out if you can.:)

Little French key is wonderful from what I have read here on reviews.

Mitsugirly, has some reviews of it on her reviews. She usually sails on NCL, but also occasionally on Carnival, and her reviews are spectacular. Not sure how to link them, but her reviews should be findable by forum searches.

Check those out if you can.:)

Thank you, I will!

During cruises, we have been to Grand Cayman probably 6 times, and we LOVE it! We absolutely love the Rays, Reef, Rum Point excursion through Nativeway. Sharon is originally from NY, if I recall, and does a fabulous job. Of the 9 cruises we've done, this is always my favorite! We rebook it every time!

During cruises, we have been to Grand Cayman probably 6 times, and we LOVE it! We absolutely love the Rays, Reef, Rum Point excursion through Nativeway. Sharon is originally from NY, if I recall, and does a fabulous job. Of the 9 cruises we've done, this is always my favorite! We rebook it every time!

Awesome, thanks for sharing! I'll make a note of that and add it to my research list.

Thanks for replying!

Hi there, thanks for sharing!

So Grand Cayman is not as pretty to you than Belize or Roatan? Interesting...

And why would I need to do an excursion in Belize?

Thank you for replying!

Yes, I like the scenery better in Belize and Roatan. All personal preference I suppose. I love the mangrove islands in Belize and the mountains in Roatan.

The port area in Belize is a cookie cutter cruise port. Not worth the tender ride to see it in my opinion unless you have an excursion planned. I went to what is now starfish island and had an awesome time. That tender took is directly from the ship to the island. After the excursion I took a tender to the mainland which is why I can say I'd recommend an excursion in Belize.

We just did #4 in November on the Dream!! It was awesome!! And that was for our honeymoon as well!! Very awesome cruise!! Montego Bay was awesome port ! Grand Cayman was fun!! Gotta go to Hell if you choose this cruise.. And then, we personally love Cozumel , so anytime we go there we love it!!

Edited by Rshows24