Trying to pick the perfect itinerary!

JJJSM

hello.. trying to decide between all these itinerary's for a first Alaska cruise..! I see that they all go to Ketchikan & Juneau... the different ones: sawyer glacier.. Victoria.. Skagway.. glacier bay.. college ford.. hubbard.. Sitka.. tracy arm.. inside passage.. which one of these, do you consider, a MUST see? thanks!

There is no "perfect" itinerary. Many posters on this board have made multiple trips to Alaska and still have not seen/experienced everything we want :)

Usually, anything you choose to do means there is something that you don't get to do. Unless you have unlimited time and money, you will have to make some trade-offs someplace.

How much time do you have? Do you want a one-way or a round-trip?

Edited by CowPrincess

If given the ultimate choice, I'd pick a cruise where Glacier Bay is part of the itinerary. Tracy Arm Fjord is a great alternative to that though because the ships usually offer an excursion to take you off to get you closer to Sawyer Glacier. And definitely hit Juneau and Skagway.

Just my 2¢. :)

Another vote for Glacier Bay as a must-include.... Some Holland America and Princess cruises includes a Tracy Arm excursion combo w/ Glacier Bay for those who cannot decide.

In addition to ports and cruise lines.... do also research which MONTH your plan to go.

• May and September is cheaper, but colder and some excursions are not running
  • May can mean ice congestion to some glacier viewing sites like Tracy Arm/Sawyer
  • May to July is dryer in Alaska, August will see more rain and September will be wettest. If too stormy to dock.... cruise ships will skip the port.
  • July to August will be dryer in Cascadia
  • May to August will give you more day light
  • August and September offer better wildlife opportunities
  • I like late-July for weather compromise and wildlife. It's also priced higher.
  • some ports offer season opportunities like fireworks and pride celebrations, but can also mean congestion.
  • http://www.alaska.org/advice/best-time-to-visit-alaska => it recommends mid-June to mid-July!

[YOUTUBE]LyOFAKRjcpo[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]NHqJf6Un5-U[/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE]CZzl0LOjRvY[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

Faced with this dilemma and the fact that my favorite cruise line did not go to Glacier Bay or have land tours that excited me, I have opted for a mixed B2B cruise tour. I will get to Glacier Bay and College Fjord on the northbound leg, Hubbard on the southbound, as well as Wrangell-St Elias and Denali on the land tour. The X leg starts in Seward so I am using the RR to make the transfer from Anchorage. And I only fly to and from Vancouver as an added bonus. Plus the fact that I can do several excursions in each of the cities that we will visit along the coast. This only works if you have at least 3 weeks of time available.