Visas on arrival for UK citizens

Serge1

Hello

I wondered if someone could enlighten me on Oceania's policy and approach to citizens travelling with them who can get visas on arrival at some ports of call. I will be taking the cruise between Mumbai and Athens. As far as I have found out, as a UK citizen, I do not need visas for Greece and Israel (free travel) and that the authorities will stamp my passport as I go through immigration formalities.

However, in the case of Oman, Jordan and Egypt, I can get visas on arrival. In the case of Jordan the visa is free, I believe.

I have heard of some occasions when the Oceania crew have not allowed you to board without signing an agreement that you will use their own proprietary visa service to obtain the visas before disembarking. Is this true in your experience.

I understand that it would be safest to commence travel with these visas in your passport, but it would be infinitely more convenient to just walk up to the appropriate counter in each port and have them issue it there and then.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences in this matter. Thank you.

Make sure you have correct visa for India as 40+ members on Dubai Mumbai cruise were not allowed off in Mumbai to take flight home and had to

1 Get off early or

2 stay on until Sri Lanka with horrendous air fares to return to UK or USA .

Make sure you have correct visa for India as 40+ members on Dubai Mumbai cruise were not allowed off in Mumbai to take flight home and had to

1 Get off early or

Thank you. I do have the appropriate visa for India.

Thank you. I do have the appropriate visa for India.

A tourist visa? Somebody with a business visa was not let off the ship in India by the Indian authorities. Sorry, I can't help you with your actual question. Personally I would get the visas beforehand to avoid any issues. But that is just me.

Serge1, check first of all that the visas on arrival will be available at ports. Sometimes they are only available at airports.

I have never heard of having to sign an agreement and last year, on a trip to SE Asia we obtained our own Chinese visas, which involved a trip to the consulate. We've just obtained visas for India online for a land trip later this month and found it quite straightforward as I expect you did.

I don't think Oceania is particularly geared up to travellers from the UK but they did keep reminding us about the need for visas before we set off with no mention of having to get the from their provider, though they did give details.

Just check you'll be OK getting a visa on arrival if arriving by sea.

We are on same cruise.... but from Hong Kong to Athens (O broke this into two segments after the cruise was initially published).

You might check with your TA if Oceania is offering these ports as extra charge Visas. If not then they are likely Gratis transit visas. The Visa requirements are stated on the O invoice.

For us Yanks -- the only ports that O is charging for shipboard issued Visas is Myanmar and Vietnam.

We are on same cruise.... but from Hong Kong to Athens (O broke this into two segments after the cruise was initially published).

You might check with your TA if Oceania is offering these ports as extra charge Visas. If not then they are likely Gratis transit visas. The Visa requirements are stated on the O invoice.

For us Yanks -- the only ports that O is charging for shipboard issued Visas is Myanmar and Vietnam.

Thank you. I have dropped them a note to ask them to find out from Oceania.

Even if you need a visa you don't have to get the visa through "their" company. I have got visas for China and Brazil on our own for Oceania cruises.

As people mentioned do be careful to find out what you need from the countries you will visit. And personally I wouldn't rely on a TA for the info unless, perhaps, if your TA is in your home country - ie has the same passport you have. Someone with a US green card but with a South African passport had major trouble due to wrong info - I think from a US TA. (Sorry I forget the details...)

Edited by Tansy Mews

Thank you. Everyone has been very helpful on the forum.

Since making the original post I have done a fair amount of reading and believe the situation as such: The ship will take your passports and hand you a receipt for it at initial boarding. The ship will organize visa specifically in ports where advance visas are not required and issued on arrival, which of course is determined primarily by your citizenship, type of passport, residency etc. These visas may not be standard visitor (tourist) visas but could be special transit visas. The ship may charge for this service.

I have heard conflicting information on charges. Some have said the ship charge nothing (like in the case of Oman and Jordan), some say they charge at cost (which in some cruise lines is mentioned in their terms - I couldn't find it in Oceania), and some say they add on a fat profit and charge handsomely for the service.

Oman: Ship arranges this prior to disembarking - no cost for less than 48 hours

Jordan: Visa obtained by ship. It is free for UK citizens but the ship may charge

Egypt: Quick Stop visa arranged by ship at no cost usually.

I believe they give you a disembarkation card and eventually when you pick up your passports on board the ship later all the visas appear stamped there.

This information is what I have been able to find out specific to UK citizens and subject to change. I will update with what actually happens once I have completed the trip in case it will help others.

It would be great to have some clarity on the ship's prices for this service and also whether one can choose to disembark and get the visa on arrival at the port oneself, if the service is offered there. I will also update this post if the cruise line insists on the passenger signing an agreement allowing them alone to get the visa. I understand that this actually would be the most convenient option anyway for most cruisers.

Thank you.

Last fall, we did a journey on Insignia from Barcelona to Singapore. We are Canadians, travelling on Canadian passports. Prior to our trip, we each got a visa for India. In addition we needed to get a Myanmar transit visa - we needed to do the paperwork and hand it in with two photos each when on board. They said there would be a fee added to our onboard account. Frankly I don't remember the amount but it wasn't much, I think. That one did have to be done through their agent -

"Guests that purchase this visa with OCI must submit the application along with 2 passport photos per person at embarkation. This application will be included on the visa notification sent via email."

My paperwork also has this from Oceania:

"For United Arab Emirates (UAE)

*US & CAN citizens obtain visa on arrival free of charge (valid for up to 30 days)."

For other countries - EU countries including Cyprus, and Israel, Jordan and Oman we didn't need to get visas.

Some countries required visual inspection - a face-to-face passport check while on board, but that's about it.

However, we are Canadians. You must check what British passport holders have to do.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

Caution about India - some people thought that just because you can get an eVisa at the airport, you could if you arrive by ship. You can't!

Another issue is the time factor - if you are travelling elsewhere for an extended period of time before your trip, it might make it difficult to get your visa since we had to do it in our home country.

Good luck!

I saw this first on the UK government site about entrance requirements for India. New since mid-February 2016:

Polio vaccination

From 14 February onwards, if you travel to India from Pakistan, Israel, Kenya, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Afghanistan or Somalia you will be required to hold a valid polio vaccination certificate. Please contact your nearest Indian Embassy or High Commission for further information.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/india/entry-requirements

And on the Canadian government site:

Polio

You must produce proof of polio vaccination if you are arriving from Afghanistan, Ethiopia, Israel, Kenya, Nigeria, Pakistan or Somalia. Contact the High Commission for the Republic of India in Ottawa or the closest Indian consular office for more information.

The US government site says something different:

The Government of India has introduced a new vaccination requirement for travelers who are both citizens of and residing in Afghanistan, Nigeria, Pakistan, Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, or Syria. Please note that the vaccination requirement does not apply to U.S. citizens.

Get advice from the Indian authorities in your country.

Frances

1 Get off early or

I think they had eVisas - the ones that only work at arrival at certain airports, not at seaports.

Frances

Edited by Tansy Mews