Stateroom Measurements

PurpleCow

Does anyone know if the dimensions of the staterooms shown on the O website include the veranda? I'm trying to figure out if the peon level suites on RSSC Voyager and Mariner are comparable to the PH level suites on O? they seem to be just about the same. Unfortunately O doesn't go to Alaska.

Speaking only in terms of peon level suites, having been in JS on RCCL I believe with my booking in a PH on O that they are at least the same if not better, and layout is a factor too. But having said that, the butler service in an PH on O is more service than on RCCL in a JS regardless of the size.

A few square feet here or there, if someone has the actual sf measurements for comparison won't make it or break it for me. There are other amenities that O offers in this category which suggest review of the entire package of category vs. actual measurement of size for us.

I understand what you're saying, Finely. It looks to me as if the only difference between O and RSSC at those levels is the butler and that's basically what I'm trying to find out. What I really want to know, I guess, is would we be as comfortable in a comparably priced RSSC stateroom so we can afford to cruise Alaska without having to resort to one of the mega ships. We upgraded to PH from B for our upcoming Panama Canal transit mainly for the space because of the length of the cruise and the large number of sea days.

Hi, I've made the same comparisons so this is what my TA told me. Oceania PH rooms are 259 sq ft plus 63 sq ft balcony total 322 as per brochure. Radisson varies by ship the lowest category room on the all-balcony ships is just about the same size. Hope this helps.

Carolyn

I forgot to mention that we did a 7-day Radisson cruise from Seward to Vancouver on the Mariner 2 years ago and loved it. Couldn't have asked for anything better. We did have a butler but we didn't use him for anything. Everyone gets special treatment on Radisson so having the lowest category should make no difference. All rooms have a refrig, too. I can't remember how the specialty restaurants worked but I don't remember having any more opportunities than anyone else because we had a butler cat room. Same with special treatment for tendering boarding, etc. Also the Alaska cruises are country club casual so the open dining and attire requirements were exactly like O's. We have been on O twice and R once and have two upcoming cruises planned. One on each. Based on our very limited experience, If ALL things were identical we would probably opt for R but it never works that way as you know. I know you will have a good Alaska cruise if you go with R.

From Oceania's ship deck plans, the PH minisuite is exactly the same length as a balconied cabin, but 1.5 x as wide. It has a tub/shower combo bathroom. As we have not been in a PH minisuite, we don't know whether it is marble clad, and what kind of wooden furniture they use (probably the same type as in a regular cabin?)

Some of the RSSC ships have standard cabins rather similar to Silversea ships. For example, a standard cabin on the Silver Shadow/Whisper is 287 sq.ft. interior plus a 58 sq.ft. permanently (instead of "carpet like") teak-floored balcony. All the wooden furniture inside (including the full-height arc-shaped desk/glassed-cupboard combo module) is custom-design veneered. There is a walk-in closet (large enough to change in), a wall mounted make-up module (mirrored and lighted, with drawer and stool), and the bathroom is fully marble clad. The bathroom counter top is one-piece granite, with two hemi-spherical wash basins of 14" diameter each. The shower is separate from the full-sized bath tub. There are three telephones in each cabin, one being in the bathroom. The entire room ceiling is lined with wood borders, and the air conditioning outlets are 2"x40" (to spread air gently and evenly), facing opposite directions, and are right above the drawable curtains which can separate the sleeping area from the sitting area (such that one person can read while the other can sleep). Such cabins designed by Yran and Storbraaten, marine architects of Oslo, are particulary elegant and make very efficient use of space. In fact, these cabins are compact-sized luxury hotel rooms, better equipped than standard rooms in the average five-star hotel on land.

In any case, the above is more for the interest of those curious of ship cabin designs than the usual cruiser. What you need is a comfortable room, good food, good service, and an itinerary that interests you!

Archived