Sea sickness advice!

Taiters91

I am the queen of sea sickness. I can even get sick while i am driving a car if the road is windy at all. I have been on 35 cruises and for the most part i have been fine. There have been a few exceptions: going through a hurricane!!

I do not go on small boats at all since they can really set me off. But on the cruise ships i am usually okay.

I take meclizine: i start the day before and continue through out the cruise. I always take one in the am and one in the pm before bed and i am okay. I do not get drowsy either.

We also get a cabin with a balcony so that i can go outside and get some fresh air and to also look at the horizon if i do get the upset tummy feeling.

Our cabin stewards say to eat the skin of an apple to help the tummy or to take some ginger tablets as well.

My brother who is a pharmacist told me that the side effects of the patch are too high and not to use them. I have a friend who uses the pressure bands on her wrists and says they work for her.

you need to not worry so much and to have a great time. Take your meds and if you get really bad you can go the on board doctor and they can help you out.

Have a great cruise:)

Brilliant, thank you all. Looks like Bonine/Stugeron is a firm favourite so I'll stick with that and take patches just in case :)

Do your research on the side effects and adverse reactions to "the patch." The chemical name is scopolamine, and the brand is "transderm scop." Then, should you decide you might give it a try, use it at home for a trial so you can get medical attention in the event you react.

I am the queen of sea sickness. I can even get sick while i am driving a car if the road is windy at all. I have been on 35 cruises and for the most part i have been fine. There have been a few exceptions: going through a hurricane!!

I do not go on small boats at all since they can really set me off. But on the cruise ships i am usually okay.

I take meclizine: i start the day before and continue through out the cruise. I always take one in the am and one in the pm before bed and i am okay. I do not get drowsy either.

We also get a cabin with a balcony so that i can go outside and get some fresh air and to also look at the horizon if i do get the upset tummy feeling.

Our cabin stewards say to eat the skin of an apple to help the tummy or to take some ginger tablets as well.

My brother who is a pharmacist told me that the side effects of the patch are too high and not to use them. I have a friend who uses the pressure bands on her wrists and says they work for her.

you need to not worry so much and to have a great time. Take your meds and if you get really bad you can go the on board doctor and they can help you out.

Have a great cruise:)

Thanks so much. Have you ever been on Serenade or another similar size? Any problems?

Think I will avoid the patch as not worth the risks. I'm going to stick with tablets and will get the injection if necessary!

After around 8 cruises I seem to be getting more and more travel sick (possibly due to other meds that I take)! I have tried accupressure bands, the aromatherapy drops, ginger, stugeron and stemetil. I take hydroxyzine daily anyway now. I have been ill crossing the BoB and also crossing the English Channel :o

My GP was very happy to prescribe the patch for me - he had used it himself while helping crew for a friend and found it very helpful - although I was a bit worried about what I had heard regarding side effects. Yes, my mouth was a bit dry - but that is a side effect of my meds anyway - but that was far better than being/feeling sick and I didn't have any other problems. Mind you, the ship wasn't moving so much either so it's hard to know what helped the most.

We will be crossing the BoB again in April and I have no intention of embarking without my little patch.

Whatever you decide OP, I hope that you have calm waters and a fantastic cruise/honeymoon :)

A caution about the patch. If you have light colored eyes, such as blue, green, or hazel, do NOT use the patch. Research has shown that people with these colored eyes do not respond well.

I've never heard this and nothing is universal. I can make myself motion sick when I'm driving a car on a windy road. I used the patch my first cruise and everything was great. Decided to go without it the next two and put it on for one day when the seas started getting a little rough.

yes i have been on the Serenade of the seas many years ago with no problems. Just start the pills a few days before and RELAX. Do not keep thinking about it or you will make yourself sick.

Be positive and enjoy your wonderful cruise.

Thanks so much :)

• 2 months later...
We will be on deck 10 on Allure, more towards the rear. Do you feel more motion up there?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Depends on which way the waves are traveling and how high they are. On the Allure once we had seas from the front and the ship galloped, that is up and down from front to back. Other times the ship may rock side to side. Most of the time on the Allure and Oasis it was rock solid and we never felt we left the dock. I think the higher up, the more possibility of motion.

My wife feared motion sickness and always took something in advance, those either made her sleepy or wide awake all night. It turns out she doesn't need to take anything, just thought she did.

Edited by cruzincurt