Fisherman's wharf limited mobility

amymoore

Looking at hotels. The cruise line uses the Mark Hopkins. It appears like it would be hard for one with limited mobility. Is the area around Fisherman's wharf hilly? Best hotel considering limited mobility? We do ok except for steep hills. Thanks for your input.

Assume this is San Francisco you're inquiring about, since I can't find any other cities with both a Fisherman's Wharf area and Mark Hopkins Hotel - although this hotel is nowhere near FW!

If it is SF, Mark Hopkins is indeed in a hilly area. Fisherman's Wharf OTOH is mostly very flat, at least close to the water (not sure what realtors, hotels etc claim as the boundaries of the FW area...) so ideal for folks who have trouble with hills for whatever reason. We haven't ever stayed in a hotel in FW, so can't recommend any in particular.

Also, be careful - just because a hotel says it's in the area does not mean it's in the flat bits next to the ocean... I'd be checking each hotel on Google Maps or similar, that will show you elevations and street views so you can assess the area for walking/rolling, but in general the Embarcadero, FW and areas beyond make for several miles of relatively flat areas with plenty of things to see and do.

We had two cruise stops in SF last year, the second an overnight and we walked all the way from Pier 27 along to the Marina district without having to deal with anything steep. Just be careful with the maps the cruiseline hands out on daily patters - we found the Princess one literally worse than useless, as it had streets listed as continuous that actually stopped at near-vertical cliffs and restarted the other side of the hill!

Edited by martincath
spelling

A little off topic but I'm looking for a hotel near the cruise ship port and that has parking. Or should I just get a cheaper hotel further out and park at the pier? I need to come in the night before to meet my 2 little ones at the airport the next day then head to the ship. Any suggestions of where to look. I'm also thinking of flying them in the night before but then I have to sleep 6 in a room. Granted 4 of those are rug rats and I could always bring sleeping bags.

I am curious about parking too.

As far as I know, based on our experience 4 years ago, none of the hotels have parking.

We had to park in a public lot and DH took a taxi back to the hotel.

We stayed at the Tuscan at Fisherman's Wharf, which has a small restaurant inside, and took a taxi to the cruise port, which is not far. However, it is too far for us oldsters to walk.

Hoping to hear that I am wrong about hotel parking. :)

Patti

There are no hotels in San Francisco that offer a park and cruise package. Most hotels charge $40-50 per night parking for hotel guests.

The best parking option is to reserve a spot at on of the parking lots near the cruise terminal.

Below is the link to the SF port cruise parking.

http://www.sfport.com/there-are-several-convenient-parking-options-cruise-guests-nearby-port-san-francisco-cruise

There are no hotels in San Francisco that offer a park and cruise package. Most hotels charge $40-50 per night parking for hotel guests.

The best parking option is to reserve a spot at on of the parking lots near the cruise terminal.

Below is the link to the SF port cruise parking.

http://www.sfport.com/there-are-several-convenient-parking-options-cruise-guests-nearby-port-san-francisco-cruise

This.

To the OP: The FW area north of Bay Street is land fill and is flat. Going west to about Columbus Avenue/North Point there's a small hill, but you can make it if you take your time. Along the waterfront edge on the Embarcadero, its flat all the way to AT&T Park. You might consider staying at one of the boutique hotels in the Cannery or Ghirardelli Square.

The Mark Hopkins is on top of Nob Hill, "To be where little cable cars climb halfway to the stars" go :D

Edited by Philob

First, to the OP, yes, definitely stay in the Fisherman's Wharf area--it's flat and easy to get around with lots to see and do and not far from the cruise pier...

To the folks asking about parking, you're not likely to find any hotel in San Francisco which will allow you to stay for a night and park for free for a week...Parking is just far too valuable...We've found ourselves paying in excess of $60 per night just to park our car DURING our hotel stay.

But, last time we visited, we wanted a hotel near our daughter's place in the Marina District...and found a great deal at the Cow Hollow Motor Inn...Only a couple of blocks from our daughter...and, most importantly, FREE PARKING...

The small chain that operates this property has 5 hotels in the Marina/Fisherman's Wharf area--all with FREE PARKING...at least during your hotel stay. The hotel was not fancy, but nice, clean and ample...I'd have no problem staying in this one again...

http://www.cowhollowmotorinn.com/sister_properties.html

For those with a car and multiple night pre- or post-cruise stays, it is definitely worth checking out.

Another option for those merely driving in and staying one night pre-cruise or otherwise very realistically not wanting to take their car into the City, another option would be to drive to somewhere along the BART routes with a Park 'n' Ride location, drop your car there long term and take BART in to the City, taxi or Uber from BART station to the Pier or to your hotel...

OTOH, $16-18 per night to park near the pier isn't bad...We pay at least that much down here in LA/Long Beach...

Edited by Bruin Steve

We too are looking for an hotel convenient to the cruise port for an overnight stay. We will be flying in the day before. We've visited San Francisco many times so sightseeing is not important. Do any hotels offer shuttle service to the pier, for fee or for free? How much approximately would a taxi cost? We have limited mobility and there's no way we are going to lug our luggage, even over a flat sidewalk.

Thanks,

Kathy

We too are looking for an hotel convenient to the cruise port for an overnight stay. We will be flying in the day before. We've visited San Francisco many times so sightseeing is not important. Do any hotels offer shuttle service to the pier, for fee or for free? How much approximately would a taxi cost? We have limited mobility and there's no way we are going to lug our luggage, even over a flat sidewalk.

Thanks,

Kathy

Check with your cruise line as they may have a preferred hotel and offers a transfer service.

Fisherman's Wharf hotels are the closest and a taxi or Uber would be your best bet. Taxi fare estimator: http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=SF

Edited by Philob

Check with your cruise line as they may have a preferred hotel and offers a transfer service.

Fisherman's Wharf hotels are the closest and a taxi or Uber would be your best bet. Taxi fare estimator: http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.php?city=SF

Thanks for the suggestion. We've been cruising since 2004 and I never realized cruise lines had preferred hotels. I'll look into it.

Kathy

Thanks for all the input! Our cruise line uses the Mark Hopkins or the Saint Francis. We are hoping for the best with the Saint Francis as it is in Union square.

I think the St. Francis is a little more accessible-friendly than the Mark (my personal choice). The downside of Union Square are the crowds.