On the Gem now, if there are any questions

Kingmaker_inc

So, after San Juan there has been an "outbreak" of gastrointestinal problems. I've observed several people vomiting, and there was an announcement by the Captain about it. The suspected culprit is impure water from the port. Now, "outbreak" is my word, not his... I'm just trying to explain what is happening.

I am impressed by the response of the ship:

Several people have been quarantined. The ship has changed procedures around commonly touched items, such as serving spoons. Only staff can touch serving spoons and such in ALL of the restaurants. So, in the buffet your plate is filled by staff standing at each station; and in Moderno, a staff person walks with you around the cold buffet and puts whatever you want on your plate. And there is vigilance with the washy-washy, squirty-squirty.

More untruths I read on CC:

There is no more free cake in the Atrium - Not true. There are many varieties of free cake in the same place as always. There is one change however - you can't take it yourself, you ask for it and the bar staff gets it for you. I have no issue with this new arrangement. In the past I have seen people touch slices that they then passed over for a different one... and that isn't great for food safety.

The climbing wall is never open - Not true. It has been open every time I've gone past, which is fairly often.

Kids are regularly rejected from the Kids Club due to over-crowding - Not true (on this March Break cruise, at least). We've had no issue at all with this.

Also at the end of the cruise if you could let us know what is the standard of food like in the MDR's?

Still haven't been to Grand Pacific, but I wanted to report that the Garden Cafe has been doing theme nights... Seafood, Mediterranean, and last night was Asian. I love Asian, so I had that last night. There was a good variety of Chinese and Indian selections (as well as "regular" food). It was tasty and well prepared. I didn't try everything, but what I did try I found to be quite nice.

So, after San Juan there has been an "outbreak" of gastrointestinal problems.

And wow, just now an announcement from the Captain that the situation has "escalated" overnight. We are floating offshore because the Health Authorities on St. Maarten have concerns and haven't cleared us for docking!?! NCL is negotiating something with them.

So... interesting.

NCL has been negotiating with them for the last 2 hours (we should have docked an hour ago), and the resolution is that they are sending a medical team onboard for an inspection.

I checked online and it has been something like 2-3 years since there was an outbreak on an NCL ship. They must be pissed to lose their top health and safety rating...

NCL has been negotiating with them for the last 2 hours (we should have docked an hour ago), and the resolution is that they are sending a medical team onboard for an inspection.

I checked online and it has been something like 2-3 years since there was an outbreak on an NCL ship. They must be pissed to lose their top health and safety rating...

Thanks for the update.

I'm also on the Gem and got back to my cabin 1/2 hour ago from breakfast @ Grand Pacific. I couldn't believe 2 of 4 people in the group ahead of me didn't sanitize or be forced to. My cousin is sick but thankfully is on the other end of the ship. They just made an announcement imploring people to wash hands as much as possible. Pilot boat arrived 10 minutes ago but has just been standing by...

Still floating off St. Maarten... 1.5 hours delayed in docking and counting.

BTW, last night I passed through the Garden Cafe on the way to and from the Great Outdoors, and I have to commend the staff for the top to bottom cleaning they were doing.

It sparkled, and I even saw q-tips being used in the corners. It was the most maxed-out cleaning job I've ever seen anywhere.

Still floating off St. Maarten... 1.5 hours delayed in docking and counting.

BTW, last night I passed through the Garden Cafe on the way to and from the Great Outdoors, and I have to commend the staff for the top to bottom cleaning they were doing.

It sparkled, and I even saw q-tips being used in the corners. It was the most maxed-out cleaning job I've ever seen anywhere.

I hope you disembark soon!

For the info Kingmaker. I've been watching the SXM web cam and couldn't figure out why the ship was not docking. Also no one tendering so figured it must have something to do with illness.

Shame, b/c NCL does have such a great rep compared to other cruise lines when it comes to viruses. What will it take for people to understand the importance of the sanitizers.

Good luck

Yeah, just went back to the cam and see the ship has turned around and is on it's way out of the harbor.

Not much you can do but make the best of it and try to stay healthy.

Good travels

Shame, b/c NCL does have such a great rep compared to other cruise lines when it comes to viruses. What will it take for people to understand the importance of the sanitizers.

If you check the CDC page on such matters (and I did) it has been several years since NCL has had an outbreak of gastroenteritis on one of their ships. I am sure they are super pissed that they will lose their top rating for health and safety... but what can you do. Seems all those affected (Patients Zero) left the ship in San Juan, so the predicted culprit is water on the island. Once people start vomiting publicly onboard (which I saw four times yesterday), it can be hard to contain.

Yeah, just went back to the cam and see the ship has turned around and is on it's way out of the harbor.

Not much you can do but make the best of it and try to stay healthy.

Good travels

It is a bummer for all. I am sure the various vendors and tour companies in St. Maarten were looking forward to the business, and I was really looking forward to our beach day.

So, yes, reorient my expectations for the day and have fun anyway.

If you check the CDC page on such matters (and I did) it has been several years since NCL has had an outbreak of gastroenteritis on one of their ships. I am sure they are super pissed that they will lose their top rating for health and safety... but what can you do. Seems all those affected (Patients Zero) left the ship in San Juan, so the predicted culprit is water on the island. Once people start vomiting publicly onboard (which I saw four times yesterday), it can be hard to contain.

Drinking water? OR like contaminated ocean/beaches? (if you know).

Will be on the same cruise in 2 weeks so very curious

The vendors will lose today, All the umbrellas were set up in Front of the Holland House and on Maho beach.

So sorry that you guys had to turn around. What is your next port? Hope you are cleared there. :eek:

Enjoy the ship and all it offers! :)

A bunch of us went to Isla Verde Beach and swam all day and are fine. My cousin who went shopping in PR is the only one I personally know who got sick. Her cabinmate who also went shopping is fine (but also quarantined).

Edited by Geekzilla
grammar