On the Gem now, if there are any questions

Kingmaker_inc

Wow another day at sea. Grrr

But what can you do but make the best of it. ??? This is the risk of trying to enter any country. After having a mimosa and nap I would probably move on and enjoy the day

I will be boarding the gem Tuesday. I hope everyone gets better.

If you are boarding the ship next, prob a good idea to not go to the port too early. I would expect the boarding to be delayed. I boarded a ship after it was cleared of NORO....happy it was cleared, but a few hours in the terminal wasn't fun.

If you are boarding the ship next, prob a good idea to not go to the port too early. I would expect the boarding to be delayed. I boarded a ship after it was cleared of NORO....happy it was cleared, but a few hours in the terminal wasn't fun.

Thanks for the tip. I was planning to get their early like 10 am. I will shoot for after 12

It is always amazing to me that people have to be told to wash their hands. How many people I have seen leave rest rooms (on ships and otherwise) without doing so. I just don't get it. Gross. And a hazard.

I realize this time it could have had other factors, but still. . .

Edited by mizlorinj

PSA: wash your hands people - OFTEN

now the gem is not visiting ST Martin. It's at sea.

It's 10 day cruise and only 4 port days. Now it's down to 3 port days. And there are still a port or two left

So wash your hands. Soap and water. Use hand sanitizers

It is always amazing to me that people have to be told to wash their hands. How many people I have seen leave rest rooms (on ships and otherwise) without doing so. I just don't get it. Gross. And a hazard.

I realize this time it could have had other factors, but still. . .

Based upon what chengpk75 has posted in the past, it almost certainly wasn't the water. Someone just may not have started showing symptoms until after the cruise began.

Drinking water? OR like contaminated ocean/beaches? (if you know).

Will be on the same cruise in 2 weeks so very curious

It's very unlikely to be from drinking water. Puerto Rico has been like a second home to us for more than 40 years.We spend a lot of time there, drink tap water and have never gotten sick. Its water meets the same standards set by the federal government for the 50 states and DC.

We had an outbreak when we were on the Gem maybe 3 years ago. It was very very mild (maybe 10 ppl), so it didn't impact us with any ports, but I was majorly impressed with all of the precautions. Not only the servers at the buffets, but all of the bathroom doors were propped open so you didn't have to touch handles (I always use a paper towel to open an public bathroom door, but it was still nice not to even have to think about touching them)

Based upon what chengpk75 has posted in the past, it almost certainly wasn't the water. Someone just may not have started showing symptoms until after the cruise began.

I haven't seen chengpk75's post, but I will go look. Also, I'm not sure about incubation periods and such...

What has been reported by the Captain and then in discussions with other crew is that all of the Patients Zero left the ship in San Juan. And all of them became ill by the next day (St. Thomas). Then were quarantines, and a lot fewer new cases today (St. Maarten).

Hopefully, the situation will be stable by tomorrow, and we can get in our day in Tortola. Honestly, I am super bummed about St. Maarten - it is our favourite port by far, and I feel bad for all the vendors and tour operators, etc. who won't be getting the business they expected today.

NCL has slotted in a bunch of new onboard activities for the day... a nice effort... but not the same as playing in the waves at Orient Beach.

I haven't seen chengpk75's post, but I will go look. Also, I'm not sure about incubation periods and such...

What has been reported by the Captain and then in discussions with other crew is that all of the Patients Zero left the ship in San Juan. And all of them became ill by the next day (St. Thomas). Then were quarantines, and a lot fewer new cases today (St. Maarten).

Hopefully, the situation will be stable by tomorrow, and we can get in our day in Tortola. Honestly, I am super bummed about St. Maarten - it is our favourite port by far, and I feel bad for all the vendors and tour operators, etc. who won't be getting the business they expected today.

NCL has slotted in a bunch of new onboard activities for the day... a nice effort... but not the same as playing in the waves at Orient Beach.

I haven't seen a post by him on this thread. It the past he has said that any water brought on in port has to be kept separate for an extended period and tested. Plus there is quite a bit of chlorine that goes through the system to kill germs as well.

Obviously I am not on board, so if the captain is saying that, then he may know something we don't or there may have been a break down in procedures somewhere. Or it may have been water they drank in port and he wasn't clear in his communications.

;)Hello! We are leaving on the gem in a few weeks and would LOVE to read the dailies prior to sailing. If you could post them that would be wonderful. (also was wondering about what night is the prime rib) so we dont book specality rest. Thanks so much & enjoy the vacation!!!

The menu will be changing on April 1st.

I haven't seen a post by him on this thread. It the past he has said that any water brought on in port has to be kept separate for an extended period and tested. Plus there is quite a bit of chlorine that goes through the system to kill germs as well.

Obviously I am not on board, so if the captain is saying that, then he may know something we don't or there may have been a break down in procedures somewhere. Or it may have been water they drank in port and he wasn't clear in his communications.

I am also onboard the Gem right now. What the Captain has said is that the source seems to be the local water in San Juan. This morning he said that there has been a significant increase in reported illness overnight. Some crew members have said that they doubt that Tortola will allow us to dock there tomorrow. I was also told that they may be cancelling the Latitudes party tomorrow night.

We ate in Magenta last night... one of the main dining rooms. Service was attentive and there were no noticeable delays between ordering, and courses. AND each of us had a very nice meal.

I haven't yet been in Grand Pacific. Will report at the end of the cruise about that.

I'm happy to hear that the food and service was good in Magenta.

We wish a speedy recovery to all of those who were stricken with Noro.

I am also onboard the Gem right now. What the Captain has said is that the source seems to be the local water in San Juan. This morning he said that there has been a significant increase in reported illness overnight. Some crew members have said that they doubt that Tortola will allow us to dock there tomorrow. I was also told that they may be cancelling the Latitudes party tomorrow night.

Thank you for sharing that.

I wonder if he means the water they drank in San Juan versus water taken on board the ship in San Juan?

You would think the water in San Juan would be safe to drink, but perhaps there was a breakdown in their system somewhere? I seem to recall drinking tap water at a restaurant in San Juan on our last cruise and I don't remember any issues.

I was watching the Gem on the webcam this morning (on the sly at work) and saw the gem wasn't docking- such a shame I am sure you are majorly bummed as SXM is my favourite port- I hope you get to Tortola and maybe get a little extra time? Fingers crossed for you anyway

If it is the local water in San Juan, it is not the water brought onboard in San Juan, it is something they drank ashore (I believe you posted that they went ashore in SJ). As broudhin has said, water that is loaded on the ship in a port must be from a hydrant that has been tested and met the USPH requirements for safe drinking water within the last month, the water is chlorinated as it is loaded into the tanks, and the tank cannot be used until the onboard coliform bacteria test is complete, which takes 18-24 hours.

It sounds more like a cryptosporidium, salmonella, or e. coli more than noro.

Thank you for sharing that.

I wonder if he means the water they drank in San Juan versus water taken on board the ship in San Juan?

You would think the water in San Juan would be safe to drink, but perhaps there was a breakdown in their system somewhere? I seem to recall drinking tap water at a restaurant in San Juan on our last cruise and I don't remember any issues.

Sorry if I was unclear in my original posts. I believe the Captain was saying that water consumed by people in San Juan was the issue.

Today he added more information about the transmission after the first instances - some people who were under quarantine opted to leave their cabins and visited the Garden Cafe... thus giving the opportunity for the virus to be spread. The Captain was not impressed with that decision making... and no wonder.

Edited by Kingmaker_inc

The Latitudes Party has been cancelled. Tortola is confirmed as a go tomorrow, so long as there is no worsening of the situation.

I understand that there are about 100 cases in total, from beginning to now.

Sorry if I was unclear in my original posts. I believe the Captain was saying that water consumed by people in San Juan was the issue.

Today he added more information about the transmission after the first instances - some people who were under quarantine opted to leave their cabins, thus giving the opportunity for the virus to be spread.

Thank you for the clarification. That makes more sense, although it is disappointing to hear that the water in San Juan is contaminated. I wonder if they all went to the same place together and perhaps it is just a local contamination versus more widespread in San Juan.

Thank you for the clarification. That makes more sense, although it is disappointing to hear that the water in San Juan is contaminated. I wonder if they all went to the same place together and perhaps it is just a local contamination versus more widespread in San Juan.

Sorry, I don't have that information.

Back to the general information about the cruise:

Tonight was La Cucina. The meal was lovely, but the service was fast (appetizers) and then all over the place for the entrées. Some arrived quickly, and others quite a while later. All hot and tasty, but definitely a service glitch.

Edited by Kingmaker_inc

A bunch of us went to Isla Verde Beach and swam all day and are fine. My cousin who went shopping in PR is the only one I personally know who got sick. Her cabinmate who also went shopping is fine (but also quarantined).

Do you know what your cousin did on shore ? Did your cousin eat or drink while ashore.