Amtrak Station in Vancouver

Drops ypu off right down town on waterfront, VERY close to the pier (Canada Place). I think they are only using one of the piers in Vancouver now. If they are using the other pier its a short cab ride away

Amtrak goes to the Central Pacific Station on the eastern edge of the downtown core. Its a very nice station right across the street from Science World and with a Sky Train (elevated trasit system) station right out front. Its a short ride to the piers (Canada Place or Ballantyne) so a taxi is quite affordable. Its a bit too long to walk and you have to go through the infamous east end (skid row) which isn't the smartest thing to do. However, the immediate area around the station is all right.

Amtrak goes to the Central Pacific Station on the eastern edge of the downtown core. Its a very nice station right across the street from Science World and with a Sky Train (elevated trasit system) station right out front. Its a short ride to the piers (Canada Place or Ballantyne) so a taxi is quite affordable. Its a bit too long to walk and you have to go through the infamous east end (skid row) which isn't the smartest thing to do. However, the immediate area around the station is all right.

Since when? I picked my Mother up from the Amtrak once a few years ago at waterfront...... She came in from Seattle.

Well CanadianMAG, I don't know about your experience but in 2003 I took the Amtrak Cascade in the reverse direction from Vancouver's Central Pacific Station to Seattle's King Street Station. As far as I know that's the station they use as its the only Vancouver station listed on the Amtrak Cascade website. If they used a different station in Vancouver then it must have been before 2003 at least.

The old Canadian Pacific Station downtown services the West Coast Express commuter train from the suburbs so just maybe once long time ago Amtrak went here. If so I wasn't aware of that. Besides the West Coast Express this station also services the sea bus that goes across the bay to North Vancouver. The old CPR station is gorgeous and had been painstakingly restored and is well within walking distance of Canada Place but its mainly a commuter terminal these days. Intercity transit (trains and buses) runs out of the other station which requires a short taxi ride to the core.

Bramcruiser is correct. The Amtrak station is at the Central Pacific Station, exact address: 1150 Station Street. They haven't used the waterfront station for years. As previous posters mentioned, it's close to a seedier part of town, but just a short taxi ride to the piers.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if there is a baggage storage available for the same day train that leaves at 6pm. I can't find a phone # for that specific station. As a backup, I guess we will leave the bags at the hotel after we check out.

The AMTRAK train station is located at Pacific Central Station at 1150 Station Street as mentioned, and NOT at the waterfront as a previous poster stated. This is also where the bus station (Pacific Coach Lines / Grayhound) leaves from as well as the VIA rail Canadian trains.

All AMTRAK CASCADE route information can be located through amtrak.com or phone 800-USA-RAIL for info regarding baggage storage.

(Phone number for VIA RAIL which is also located @ Pacific Station: Information and reservation 888-842-7245)

If you're cruising on Royal Caribbean you'll be sailing from Ballantyne Pier, if any other from Canada Place; both are short cab rides from the train station.

Dave

Hi Folks,

I believe that you preclear US Customs and Immigration at Pacific Central Station prior to boarding the Cascades to Seattle. There are lockers located in the station, but you will have to take your luggage through screening prior to boarding the train.

I believe if you google the Amtrak website that on that site it lists stations where baggage handling is available. even thought he station has lockers, I don't believe that there is a designated baggage car on these Talgo trains (tilting European style) so any luggage would have to fit in the overhead racks.

Ciao for now!!!

• 1 month later...

Briefly checking the Port of Vancouver cruise ship schedule it looks like RCCL will still be using Ballantyne Pier again this year.

Here's a link to it:

http://www.portvancouver.com/vanAlaCruise/content/schedule/index.php?

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Archived