Question About Cove Balcony?

GranysT

I'm thinking of booking a cove balcony, for the 1st time. I think they have a solid metal wall instead of plexiglass, right?

So my question is, if you are seated on the balcony, can you see over this solid wall? I know a lot of people like the coves, but what are some of the drawbacks, if any, about them? Thanks in advance

If you are seated, you can see over the wall, plus there are two small windows / cut-outs near the bottom so you can see the water. They are nice and offer shade and privacy. I would definitely book another, next time we can splurge on a balcony. They do get a lot of sea spray on them, but that didn't bother us, i just wiped down the railing with a towel each morning, so no drawbacks as far as we were concerned. We loved it!

I loved the balcony!

But be aware of what is above you. I was in 2405 on the dream and the galley was directly above us. I am a light sleeper and was awakened every morning between 4 and 5 to what sounded like bowling?!?!

Also I had issues with it being on the 2nd floor...I know this is the appeal, but, I think I am just used to being on 8 or 9. We spent a lot of time hiking up stairs because the elevators were occupied.

Good luck, and you will never know til you try it!

I did notice the ones way forward got lots of spray on rough days.

Also, if it gets really rough seas, they close the water tight doors. I don't think it happens often, just be aware.

Great questions. I'm considering one too.

Another question - what location (forward, mid, aft) would you recommend, and why?

Thanks for the input.

Stay forward of the midship elevators, and you'll be fine. The galley is what you don't want to be below, as some spots there are noisy. The galley starts at about where the midship elevators are, and continues on back until the coves stop. Being below the lobby is fine, below the dining room is best! The sea spray/salt issue seems to happen more with the more forward coves. So again, below the dining room is best.

The lifeboats overhead provide shade, making it not as hot on the balcony. I see this as a great advantage, but some people have the idea that they want to get a tan on their balcony, so they don't like the shade. The crazy thing is that when the UV rays are strongest, between 10am-2pm, no balconies are receiving any sun, except the uncovered ones. So if you want a tan, the balcony is not the place to get it, so the shade is a nice thing.

Some people worry that they'll get locked out of their balcony in rough seas. That could happen, but it's extremely rare, only in very rough seas. Coves may be many decks down from the buffet & pools, but a quick elevator ride will have you there in no time. Elevators are rarely busy when deck 2 people need them. Plus, you are so close to so many things: getting off the ship, dining rooms, entertainment.

Studying the ship's deck plans helps a lot in selecting a cabin. We had 2268 on the Breeze. Good location. It's just below the Excursions Desk area, so no noise from above. We did have some noisy neighbors though. No way to predict that. We were close to the gangway, which made it a great spot to watch for pier runners. There's no life boat directly overhead, but because the cove balconies are recessed, we still didn't get much direct sunlight. On Embarkation (and Debarkation) day, the forward and mid elevators are very busy. The Aft elevators are the least busiest. We didn't seem to have any problems with salt spray from the ocean, as others have noted. However, on mornings when the crew is hosing down and cleaning the ship, water does drip down onto the cove balconies. So if you've got anything out there, like a pair of water shoes that you're trying to dry out, bring them inside for a while. ;)

I have not been on a regular balcony only a cove. I liked

the cove but I thought it was kind of dreary and damp. There was no sun on it. I had one of the open ones with no lifeboat overhead and I would do it again if it was free but I think I will choose regular balconies from now on if I get one. I usually just stay in port hole rooms for the nicer room at less cost and read books on a quiet spot on the aft.

Edited by smyliecruising

We have had 3 coves on the Dream. On a cove balcony if you look down over the rail you see water, very close. If you are on a regular balcony and you look down over the rail you see the deck. Coves are very private, you only see others if you lean way over the rail and someone else on a cove is also leaning way over. There is a lot of spray in rough waters. The cove balcony is deeper and the "wall" has a shelf which is perfect to put your morning coffee on when the table is full of pastries from room service. It is noisy under the galley so check out what is above you. We love them and would choose them over a regular balcony.

We have had 3 coves on the Dream. On a cove balcony if you look down over the rail you see water, very close. If you are on a regular balcony and you look down over the rail you see the deck. Coves are very private, you only see others if you lean way over the rail and someone else on a cove is also leaning way over. There is a lot of spray in rough waters. The cove balcony is deeper and the "wall" has a shelf which is perfect to put your morning coffee on when the table is full of pastries from room service. It is noisy under the galley so check out what is above you. We love them and would choose them over a regular balcony.

Is the balcony big enough for a lounge chair?

Thanks everyone for all the great answers, and the pics were a huge help.

I was looking at cabin # 2293, does anyone know what is above that cabin?

If galley is above, what is a good cabin number? I don't especially like being too far at the bow, and much prefer midship.

If galley is above, what is a good cabin number? I don't especially like being too far at the bow, and much prefer midship.

I'm guessing you'll be on the Magic? Looks like # 2293 is under the seating area for the Northern Lights Dining Room. There shouldn't be much of an issue with noise from above.

2293 is below a seating area in the lobby. I have not seen any complaints from people that have stayed below the the lobby, even though there is some light music that plays in the atrium in the evenings. Maybe the noise gets blocked out.

Deck plans are not to scale from deck 2 to deck 3, so it's hard to say exactly where the dining room begins, which is very good to be under. I would guess about 2288 or 2315 are the start of the dining room extensions. 2334/2361 are right at the edge of the galley, but still under the dining room, and those are the most midship rooms you can get while still not being under the galley. I would probably go a few rooms up from that just to be totally sure.

We had cabin 2330 on the Dream last May and liked it so much we booked the same cabin for this May. It's just forward enough to avoid noise and also close to elevators which was a plus for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by brcris75