Help with cabin selection on Oosterdam

casaloma

Hi all,

This will be our first time on Holland America. We've got three Carnival, two Royal Caribbean and a Princess under our belts. We're considering the October 10 Rome to Barcelona on Oosterdam. We're looking at cabin 7145. Always wanted to try an aft cabin. Reading the reviews, it does sound like there's some soot, but I think we could roll with that. My husband is concerned that we're not going to be looking straight down into the ocean but a sea of other cabins. Any advice? And what do people think about the new balcony cabins they crammed into Deck 10?

Thx for any feedback

Roberta

Hi all,

This will be our first time on Holland America. We've got three Carnival, two Royal Caribbean and a Princess under our belts. We're considering the October 10 Rome to Barcelona on Oosterdam. We're looking at cabin 7145. Always wanted to try an aft cabin. Reading the reviews, it does sound like there's some soot, but I think we could roll with that. My husband is concerned that we're not going to be looking straight down into the ocean but a sea of other cabins. Any advice? And what do people think about the new balcony cabins they crammed into Deck 10?

Thx for any feedback

Roberta

Try the deck 5 aft cabins instead, as they are fully covered (great privacy!) and you will only be looking down on deck 4 cabins.

And what do people think about the new balcony cabins they crammed into Deck 10?
The deck 10 balconies are only 4.5 ft deep, or about 1/3 the size of a deck 5 stern center (5184, 5185) balcony. They deck 5 are fully covered so you won't be seen from above (maybe your hands will be when you are leaning on the railing) and they are shielded from soot, water, and trash. They have loungers, while the deck 10 balconies are a tight fit for two chairs. And the deck 5 stern cabins are longer inside as well.

Google /5187-zuiderdam-v/ or /5186-Westerdam/ or /5189-oosterdam/ for pictures.

Edited by jtl513

I've been on deck 7 aft on Oosterdam. We were in the corner next to the one you're looking at. Sometimes there was a bit of soot, but not often. I'd estimate it's about half covered by the balcony above. Maybe a bit more.

If you stand at the railing and look straight down, you will see part of the balconies below you. But when you're sitting down, or even standing at the railing looking out, you don't see them. Just that beautiful wake! Similarly, people above you can see part of your balcony, but not all of it. Yes, deck 5 has huge balconies, but I think all of the aft balconies are deeper than the side balconies.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Hi Cas,

We were in 7136 last August.

Having been told that there would be a problem with soot, I looked for it. It was there, if you looked carefully.

>we're not going to be looking straight down into the ocean but a sea of other cabins.

Nope. Unless you stand at the rail and look down, you see the ships wake.

Enjoy your cruise.

Ira

Recently we were on Deck 7 on the port side about mid to aft. Worked great. No noise above or below. Short walk to Lido deck for some hot tea which I drink a lot of.

Feedback came from PCC and matched what ***************** had. Just one data point.

http://*****************/CruiseShips/BestCabins.aspx?ShipName=oosterdam

Deck 7 -- Rotterdam Deck

******************** Favorite Deck ***

Highly rated by our cruise experts! Rotterdam Deck is without question the high-rent district of the ship. This is where all the suites and penthouse category cabins are located. Given that this is where the high-dollar cabins are, this is also where the best cabin stewards are usually assigned. Cruisers may want to consider reserving near this area because staff service is likely to be excellent! Some of the best cabins on the Oosterdam are on Rotterdam Deck!